Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is everyone on pre op diet?

That's all I had to do...idk why a lot of people had to do a pre-op diet. I just know my surgeon did not require it

Ok, that makes me feel better! My post op is 2 weeks liquids then 4 weeks puréed, then on to soft foods. (Surg Oct 23)

That's all I had to do as well. No complications here. :)

I don't think its "common". The majority of Dr's require a pre-op for at least a week or two. But certainly some Drs don't. I just think they are more in the minority. I interviewed several Drs, and one of them didn't require a pre-op diet, just the 24 hours liquid before. Every Dr is different.

I don't think its "common". The majority of Dr's require a pre-op for at least a week or two. But certainly some Drs don't. I just think they are more in the minority. I interviewed several Drs' date=' and one of them didn't require a pre-op diet, just the 24 hours liquid before. Every Dr is different.[/sup']

I am doing Optifast for two weeks prior to surgery my dr.is Dr.vuong

I've been on this pre-op diet for 11 days now- 10 days of Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shakes + 2 yogurts daily and tomorrow is day 2 of clear liquids. My doctor requires it because it shrinks the liver prior to surgery. Not really sure why it's important to some doctors and not to others...

I am on a pre op diet. Low carb, low cal, low fat, high Protein. My surgeon says it is to reduce the size of the liver to give him more room to work. I have talked to others that have to do all liquid for two weeks pre op. Yuck. I'm jealous that you only have to do one day!

My doctor requires the liquid diet 24 hours before surgery, but recommends a two week Liver Shrinking Diet so surgery is easier. But it isn't crazy. High Protein, low carb, and lots of Water. It actually helps with discovering Protein Shakes for the future, in my opinion.

Mine requires 2 weeks full liquid and then a full colonoscopy prep the day before! :-/ I think I'm dreading that more than the actually surgery....I begin liquids on 10/26.

14 days here

10 day liquid diet for me. starts 11/8 and surgery on the 18th.

I'm on month 5 of a 7 month monitored pre-op diet. I'll be on a 2 week full liquid diet prior to surgery. This is all required as part of my surgeons program.