Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have adequate vitamin and nutrition counseling in Mexico?

I'm 20 days pre op ...hoping there will be some good nutritional and Vitamin counceling in Mex but so far my pre op paperwork just says children's chewables, Calcium and Iron. That's the extent of the details. I've looked at so many posts about what people are taking post op and I've come to the conclusion that No two sleevers are taking the same supplements. So I'm uncertain... How much of what is good or too much etc.

what are YOU taking post op and how often do u get labwork done and is everything looking good for you?

Hi - I am taking Bariatric Advantage Ultra Multivitamin. www.bariatricadvantage.com It has Iron and all the B12 we need. My NUT says 1. Multi (for baritatric patients) 2. 1000 mcg B12 3. 1500 mg of calcium citrate - make sure it is Citrate and not Carbonate - this does not absorb well at all. Vitamin D helps calcuim absorb better, but it also in my multi. The iron is not mandated for me yet. I will have my 2nd pre-op on the 30th of this month which is when they will do the blood draw to check my Vitamin levels. For me - I was all insurance 100% except for my NUT, psych and co-pays. My NUT was $300 and that bought me her services indefinitely forever. Maybe find a local NUT with the same types of pay structures locally? Someone located inside a bariatric doctors office?

I take a multi Vitamin 3x daily, calcium citrate 3x daily and vitamin b-12 1x a day and burpless fish oil or kreel oil for cholesterol 1x daily. This routine has worked well for me , but I adjust after I have my labs if something is too low or too high. I stopped with the bariatric chewable vitamins about a month out because they made me want to vomit. I would suggest that you go to your PCP after surgery to let them do blood work to see what you may be lacking. I had labs done at one month, three months, six months and I will have more labs in November and I will have another set the week before my one year follow up which will be February 19, 2014. Your doctor may not require as many labs as mine, but to enter my doctors program that is what is required by him. I also am supposed to have a follow up each year to make sure I am still on track with nutrition and weight loss. If you are eating healthy fooods you may not need as many supplements. I hope this helps.

My doctor in Mexico, Guillermo Alvarez sent us home with a very informative book chock full of information for us. When I see some of the questions posed on this forum by people who were given no guidance at all despite having their surgery here, I realize how lucky I got. His book is available on Amazon and it's a worthwhile resource.

Others have also googled and found clear directions for post-ops posted by various hospitals here. Might be something worth trying?

I am a Mexico patient and no I did not have a lot of after care.

I did my own research and began looking at alot of post op idea and diets and necessities online. I go to my PCP on occasion ( at first it was every 8 weeks) to get a metabolic panel to make sure IA m good with my blood work and so far everything is fine or off the charts. I do not take a Vitamin anymore. They tend not to be compatible with my body. my b-12 is too high in my bloodwork despite taking them 1x a week. I eat VERY well and I am mindful of what goes into my body.

If you want that help then I am sure you can go hire a nutritionist to guide you but there is enough information out there that I did not feel I needed it for me.

Good luck.

My doctor, Ariel Ortiz, has his own line of Protein Powder and Vitamins. I am taking them and thriving.

I saw the Nut there before surgery and was given a lot of printed information and encouraged to call her anytime.