Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

.....things my NUT says

Ok. So I have for the most part followed all my doctors/NUTS guidelines. But yesterday, yesterday drew a line for me. My NUT tried to inform me that I can no longer drink: milk, juice of any kind, coffee(unless black and decaf), no sports drinks- nothing at all with calories. Further more no Soup no broth no stews and no chilis no cereal... Then proceeds to tell me that I have to start living in the real world and if I cook something for my family that I can't have but really want it, to have some but not to go crazy... How on earth is that solid advice? I'm 64 lbs down in 12 weeks and she tells me I can never have a cup of coffee again!? What is she going to do if I have regular coffee with sugar free/fat free Creamer? ? Take my sleeve away? Some of these rules seem utterly ridiculous... I know they are set in play to encourage steady weight loss but should they really make so many rules? We know we need to make healthier choices but to say NO MORE? That makes me want it twice as bad and per her advice apparently I should have it then..... So confusing! Rant over!!

That seems a little harsh. My NUT is super awesome. We don't drink cows milk in my house, we drink almond milk, and she was nice enough to give me some guidelines (as far as fat, cals, and carbs) go so that I could make good choices. If she just started telling me you can't have this, you can't have that I would have a hard time taking her advice. :unsure:

This is what I call a CYA NUT. Covering their rear if you don't lose at the rate you expected. "Well, you had a cup of coffee 2 months ago and I told you not to, so, there you go." Eeesh!

You are going to have to find your way with the guidelines. The problem is, some people take things too far.

"Oooh! I can have a cup of coffee!! Starbucks venti triple cream blah blah blah, HERE I COME!" To the tune of 800 calories ... "But you didn't say I couldn't have coffee ... :("

Some of the sports drinks have a ton of sugar as do a lot of juices. They are empty calories. If you are buying broths and stews at the store vs making them yourself, they have a TON of sodium in them, but when you make it yourself, you can control these things.

The bottom line is to be changing how and what we eat. If you want things to change, then you must be the instrument of change. The sleeve is a tool to use to lose weight, it will not do it on its own.

I like to say ... my sleeve will help me move mountains, but I still need to bring a shovel.

I just went to a class yesterday that was taught by a bariatric nurse. She said caffeine can inhibit Calcium absorption post op, so limit yourself to 8oz a day unless Decaf. ( Even decaf has SOME caffeine) She actually encouraged drinking milk, just make it skim. She told us post op that they do not focus on calorie or carb restriction. The thing the monitor is Protein intake ( ALWAYS #1 ) and sugar. She said no more than 5-7 grams of sugar in a serving /meal. That was it. Maybe she was concentrating on RIGHT after surgery, the few weeks after. But it still makes sense for further along. I would have to agree with you and not your NUT here. I think we all should honestly know what is "good" and "bad" for ourselves, we just have to be true to ourselves. If you have questions I would either seek guidance online ( for nutritional information) or ask your surgeon to refer you to a different NUT. ( One who isn't so "nuts"!)

My doc and nut in Utah are against liquid calories, reason why they don't have us on protien drinks. Also was told coffee, milk and juices were no nos but I do know these diets are very similar to ones they have with bleeding ulcers and you hear of leaks months after the surgery. I for one would rather give up those than have a leak! High acid foods are out. I would say the Soups are because they move through your stomach fast and leaving you feeling less full but all in all, creamed Soups are loaded with calories. Chili not sure why unless its the hot chili because my doc promotes Beans big time.

Giving up certian foods for now in order to loose the weight is just something we need to do or risk failure and no one wants that. And I have to remember, this is a life style change.

I always go with my body, my decision as to what I eat. I can't go back to eating what I was, no way no how. In time like with any habit, you have to change the way you think and that takes time. With this, you have to eat but we just have learn to eat to survive, not survive to eat.

Ive seen 3 nuts, One's delivery was pretty blunt and I wans't a big fan of hers but they all had the same message. 70% protien, 30% veggies .... thats about it for me.

WIll I eat some things I shouldn't? YES, at times it will happen, will I do it often, no.

As I am typing this, my bf is drinking creamed sugared coffee and a frozen bagel sandwhich.... I just have to drink my Water and listen to his heart protesting lol :)

I drink between 4-6 cups of Decaf with sugar-free Creamer everyday. I do count the calories for the creamer on my MyFitnessPal log. My NUT doesn't care about the coffee. I was only restricted from that during the first 2 weeks.

I don't drink milk or juice...usually just Water. I drink 2-4 bottles of Water everyday in addition to the above mentioned decaf coffee. Too much sugar in juice and usually not enough room or not enough calories left in the day for milk.

My doc and nut in Utah are against liquid calories, reason why they don't have us on protien drinks.

How do they have you getting Protein in during the first 6 or so weeks without Protein Drinks? I know some people can handle pureed meats, but I was not one of them. Good, nutritionally balanced liquid calories early out were the only way I was able to survive the first 6 weeks.

Not only did I need Liquid Protein the first 6 weeks, i still have one a day. I just believe I do better when I have alot of Protein an dthat is how I ensure it... everyday.

Some of these docs only care about their stats and their reputation. If you take away all sugar and carbs away then you won't have any energy.

I really haven't had a hard time getting anything down. The Doc I go to is one of the older experienced surgeons and I think they just go with tried and true. I asked about protien powders and Protein Drink and his comment was.. its liquid calories and wants me to get Protein from food, not drink. Thats about all. I do just fine right now with what Im eating. I actually feel normal which makes me happy. 6 months from now we can compare notes on how it went.

She just baffled me

"You can eat pretty much anything you want kid- just make smart choices" then BAM she throws this list out there and I'm like ??? Your making all my choices for me now, how am I supposed to make the sleeve work for me and my lifestyle if I can't enjoy a bowl of Cereal with my kids on Saturday morning (and I JUST bought a kashi high Protein cereal!!)

I get it though I do. I've made lots and lots of changes and lots and lots of sacrifices in the past 12 weeks I guess someone throwing down a food "bible" at me and telling me to abide it all really yanks and my heart strings. I want to be accountable for working my sleeve...

How do they have you getting Protein in during the first 6 or so weeks without Protein Drinks? I know some people can handle pureed meats' date=' but I was not one of them. Good, nutritionally balanced liquid calories early out were the only way I was able to survive the first 6 weeks.[/quote']

I have not relied on Protein Shakes at all post op. Between lactose issues and me just not wanting them I have completely avoided them. I'm 6 weeks out and had maybe 2 in the last 4 weeks. I went to fork soft after 2 weeks and eat chicken, beef, fish, cheese, cottage cheese, edamames and avg 70-90g of Protein a day.

Wow. My NUT is full of facts. I saw him after 2 mths. He's not a part of my bariatric team (3 hrs away) and I'm the 1st sleeve he's ever seen. So I'm like his pet project. He's constantly emailing me, leaving voicemails and send little tidbits of info in my snail mail. He's really interested so he's learning right along with me.

He also thinks I'm starving if I eat lower than 1200 cals a day. I had to inform him that sleevers regularly eat less than 1000 cals a day. He's constantly doing more research on my vitamin/mineral//supplement needs. I guess I appreciate the interest in my situation but my hubby is starting to think something ia going on (not really)!!!

I could never go without coffee. I drink at least 2 cups a day (with sf Syrup in it). And if someone told me I could never eat a certain food, id be upset. I had wls so id never have to diet again.

I could never go without coffee. I drink at least 2 cups a day (with sf Syrup in it). And if someone told me I could never eat a certain food' date=' id be upset. I had wls so id never have to diet again.[/quote']

Ok I'm glad I'm not alone here. Lol

My NUT doesn't want me to eat Soup ever again because it is liquid. The chunks are ok, but the broth acts as if you are drinking. Now, she told me a thick stew or thick chili made with lean meat was fine. No coffee? ?, I would just say stay away from crazy concocted iced coffees or ones that are loaded with sugar. Good luck. Im sorry you don't live your NUT, mine has been so helpful. She also suggested if eating Cereal to do so with yogurt instead of milk.