Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after surgery do I have to chew like crazy? Will I have to do this forever or is there a time when I can start eating like I used to do, but take smaller bites of course? It's already getting old pulverizing my food haha

My NUT explained that the portion of the stomach that is removed is the area with the "grinders" so when we don't chew correctly, it's either very painful for a while or your body expels it by throwing up.

For me, chewing better than I did pre-sleeve became a new habit which I carry with me today at over 2 years post-op. Especially fibrous foods or meats as if I don't my tummy will complain or not feel as comfortable if I would have chewed more. This all falls into the new habits of taking smaller bites and eating slower. Not chewing well was just one part of the way I inhaled food in the past. I don't want to do that ever again.

I don't want to inhale my food, I'm just tired of pretty much liquefying it before swallowing. That's what I was meaning :)

I don't want to inhale my food, I'm just tired of pretty much liquefying it before swallowing. That's what I was meaning :)

Oh, I know you weren't looking to inhale. The sleeve isn't going to let you do that, anyway! But, as Atlanta pointed out, the main function of your stomach is to mechanically break down the food. When we had 100% of our stomach, we didn't need to chew as well as we had this 1HP garbage disposer in our chest. Now, we have a 1/6th HP unit. We need to shore up the missing effort with our teeth.

When I said I don't want to inhale my food anymore, I am referring to the time from one bite to the next. If I am spending more time chewing, that is lengthening the amount of time until the next bite. This also gives me more time to feel the "full" feeling. Otherwise, I may consume more than I should and get the uncomfortable feeling. It is also important if you are not making up that difference with your teeth, and drinking with your meal to release that uncomfortable feeling, you may get that uncomfortable feeling in your intestines as the food was not digested enough before passing through the pyloric valve. Just one of the reasons why we try not to drink before, during or immediately after eating.

I know it is tedious to be making everything you eat into baby food, but, as time goes, you will find the consistency you need to avoid an upset stomach and intestines. Just listen to your body and do what it needs. Don't push yourself past what it needs you to do.

Kayleen

i don't see/have any problem always chewing my food to pieces

keeps my jaw busy, and so i'm not talking

LOL :lol: (DH reading over my shoulder :lol: )

it is like the "inhaling" of food pre WLS

changed to now chewing, chewing always

natural instinct for me is to chew

its pretty funny when i realize i'm "chewing" yogurt :lol:

"NEW" habits die hard :D

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

On occasion I still struggle with this. I pay for our, of course. It's hard to change a lifetime habit in under a year.

On occasion I still struggle with this. I pay for our, of course. It's hard to change a lifetime habit in under a year.