Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I weigh more today than I did day of surgery... is this normal?

Good Morning,

I am post-op day 5 today (which is also my birthday!). I have a lot to Celebrate today! I went in to Fitbit to see my progress and noticed that my weight day of surgery is less than today's weight by 5 lbs. Is this normal?

Thanks for reading and replying.

sjs

first happy birthday! secondly yes it is normal, dont worry, the weight will come off! i think it is from all the fluids they give you during your hospital stay. No worries, just focus on healing, drinking and walking. Before you know it 20 pounds will have vanished!! once again, have a super birthday!

Just watned to say Happy Birthday!!!! (otherwise, nothing I can add to Susie's post)

Happy Birthday! I had my 40th, 10 days after my surgery. Yes at about 4-5 days I was higher than my surgery weight but that doesn't last long. Then it starts to drop. I stalled again at 2.5 weeks for almost 3 weeks which was the most discouraging time. Now it's starting to drop fast again. Keep doing what you are supposed to do and it will come off.

Quite normal. If you think about it ... you can only gain fat by consuming more calories than you burn. At the low end, you resting metabolic rate would be, again, at a minimum, 1,200 calories. So, have you eaten more than 1,200 calories each day since surgery?

If you are anything like me and the other folk I have read about over the years here, you intake has been closer to the 400 to 600 a day range. So, what that means is while you may weigh more, that weight is not contributed to fat, so ...

For me, that was the bottom line. I didn't care so much about my weight as I did my ability to lose fat.

Happy Birthday!

Good Morning,

I am post-op day 5 today (which is also my birthday!). I have a lot to Celebrate today! I went in to Fitbit to see my progress and noticed that my weight day of surgery is less than today's weight by 5 lbs. Is this normal?

Thanks for reading and replying.

sjs

Do not worry! I was closer to 10lbs heavier at the same point in the process...so I completely understand...The doctors told me it was because they give you a ton of i.v. Fluid to prevent dehydration since you can't eat or drink much at all in the beginning.

But all is well...in time, I'm sure you'll see the weight start to come off, and possibly faster than at any other point in your life. Make sure you are walking as much as you can and follow all your doc's post-op instructions to the best of your ability and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Happy Birthday!! Yes I'm with everyone else! I gained 12 lbs in the hospital from all the IV fluids but after a few days that came off along with 15 more. Be patient & good luck!!

I gained 11 pounds laying in the hospital bed. All those fluids. My mom gained 16. That extra weight will be gone very very quickly.

Happy Birthday! I celebrated my birthday about 6 weeks post-op. Best birthday in a long time.

We were told in my pre-op class that it's normal to gain about 10 pounds in the hospital from all of the fluids. I "only" gained 6 but it took a week to get back to where I was the day before surgery.

Happy birthday

PdxMan, I am around 350 - 500 calories/day since home on Tuesday.

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! I'm going to keep doing what the Dr says and drink fluids.

PdxMan, I am around 350 - 500 calories/day since home on Tuesday.

Yup, so you have to know you are not gaining fat, so it has to be Water weight...

I had surgery Tuesday the. 8th and gained 10 pounds in the hospital! I was so disappointed! But have lost since thursday afternoon 7 of those 10! I hope to see a nice drop before my bday (40th) in nov! Happy birthday!!!!!!!

Oh I have a question, when I eat ordering anything I get a pain under my chest bone, that comes and goes.......only when I am eating Jello or drinking my liquids and it's within minutes of swallowing. It's not horrible but it's weird, is it normal?

Edited by shannadelong