Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

add me to your list my surgery was on 12/04/2013 lost 30 lbs little slower my weight loss.

VSG on 12/03/13. I'm down 60 pounds total, 43.7 of those pounds since surgery. Started my surgery process in a tight 26 and 2X/3X, now I comfortably fit in a 14/16 and size L.

post-165959-0-52552300-1393015183_thumb.jpg

Same size L shirt at 5 weeks post-op vs. 10 weeks post-op:

Edited by VSG AJH

Am I the only one bring told to stay under 500 calories and 15 carbs a day? I'm being told to stay at that level until I lose 75% of my excess weight (which would be 100lbs. Since 12/16 I've lost 35)

It seems like my losses have slowed since I've upped my exercise. I had a meeting with the clinic's dietician yesterday and expressed my concern and she just said, well, your body really doesn't need more than 500 calories/15 carbs a day because you're still so heavy. Uh, thanks. I dunno, I just kind of have a bad taste in my mouth about the whole aftercare program.

I've been eating 850-1000 calories per day spread across 5 meals typically. When I work out and burn a lot of calories, I might add in a 6th meal and eat some of those calories back, too. I average 85-90g Protein per day, and have from day three post-op. I've lost consistently, and while there have been one or two weeks that I've lost just a little bit, I've not yet hit one technical stall in my eleven weeks since surgery. I also aim for no more than 60 carbs per day, and I usually land between 50-75. If I eat more carbs than that, I find myself intensely craving carbs, and that's just miserable.

My doctor's office doesn't specify a calorie range, they just stress protein intake, and I found I took in about 10 calories per gram of protein. When I was about 4-5 weeks out, I asked my NUT if she thought I was taking in too many calories because I could see on here many people were taking in 400-500 calories daily. She said said that was true of many of her patients, but they were also only taking in 40-50g of protein or less. She said there's a correlation, and since I was losing quickly and consistently, I was in the right calorie range for my body. She said it was an individual thing, and that we would revisit my caloric intake if/when I started stalling out. At that point, she said, sometimes a decrease is needed, but sometimes an increase is needed. Trial and error.

I am just feeling a bit frustrated. She also said every meal should contain no more than 5g of carbs. I actually got lectured for eating a yogurt that is 80 calories, 12 g of Protein, 0 gr of fat - all because it has 8 gr of carbs. Mind you, on days I eat that I'm still not hitting 15g of carbs for the day. Plus, we are to eat 3 meals a day - no snacking.

I also mentioned I am not happy that I am becoming fairly dependent on Miralax. I suggested part of the issue is that I'm getting pretty much no Fiber in. She said no, it's not because lack of fiber, it is because my Water consumption isn't enough. Mind you - I get in 80+ oz a day.

I'm just so frustrated. I feel like they are so hellbent on us reaching this "magical" 75% excess weight loss number that the patient's ultimate well being is an afterthought

I just replied in detail about my caloric intake, but I wanted to reply to this "magical 75%" you mentioned. I'm eleven weeks out and 6 pounds away from 50% down. I think I'll make 50% before I see my surgeon for my three month post-op appointment. I'd love to keep losing this fast, but I'm not doing anything crazy to accomplish that. That said, I'm not really an "in moderation" eater, meaning I do not eat whatever I "want" in smaller portions. I am eating regular food, but I am making healthy choices. I've tried rice, bread, and crackers, but I don't eat them regularly as they make my stomach hurt and they make me want more rice, bread, and crackers. Though I haven't had an actual stall yet, the one week I lost a half pound and not more was the week I split a Valentine's Day dessert with my husband. A few bites of pudding was NOT worth that torture on the scale!

The whole "everything in moderation" thing works for some people, but not for me. I'm an all-or-nothing girl. If I eat a little bit of sugar, I want to eat all the sugar! That doesn't mean I don't eat what my family eats, they're just eating healthier now, and I'm not eating all the things I serve them.

Edited by VSG AJH

Today I bought yoga pants and a t shirt XL down from a tight size 22- probably should have been wearing a 24! I am so excited to get something that wasn't a plus size... Don't think I am out of the women's section yet, as the yoga pants are stretchy... But I'm getting closer

Yay that is so great! Congrats, very happy for you!

Well dec. sleevers it's been two months and three days since my VGS. I'm down 52.4 from my highest weight. I'm overjoyed with my weight loss and higher energy level. The journey has had it highs and lows but the highs out weigh the lows. I'm so glad I made this decision and I look forward to my new life and all the activities I've been missing (but didn't know it). Wishing all of my Dec. buddies well and would love to hear about your progress. Miss seeing your thoughts, rantings, and ideas. :-)

Yay awesome!!! Congrats on your hard work & loss ;o)

I am weighing once a week. Thursday is my day & yesterday was super exciting for me. As of yesterday I reached 70.2 lbs down total (pre & post op). I will be 2 months post op on the 26th & doing very well!

So very thankful & like you, I am looking very forward to the future! New adventures, health & happiness!

Edited by finally on my way

Bittersweet moment- when you realize you can't wear your wedding rings because of your weight loss so far. I don't want to lose them, so when I get to goal I will have them resized....maybe I will talk my husband into an upgrade ; )

My husband got me an inexpensive ring to wear in the interim. We call it the "stunt double ring."

Messed up my reply...

Edited by Bor1qua

I average 85-90g Protein per day, and have from day three post-op.

How are you getting all that protein?

My thoughts on shakes, since so many say that the ones they liked before surgery they did not like after surgery, is to cover all bases. So my plan is to buy unflavored Protein Powder, Unjury chicken broth, Gatorade (to add Protein powder to), premeir ready to drink chocolate and a few isopures in different flavors. Surely out of that selection, something will work! I bought these super cute 3 oz dishes from Rachel Ray on Amazon. I figure if I'm going to eat that tiny amount for a long time, then I want cute dishes! I bought a food scale and a weight scale (with body composition to track fat % and Water during those stalls). I bought a couple of shaker bottles with ounces marked to bring to work with a cute little lunch bag. I usually don't eat lunch the 2 days I work away from home, so I'll have to get use to travelling with drinks at least. Once I'm cleared and I KNOW the surgery is written in stone, I'm going to get a FitBit One and the shakes. That's my plan so far! Lol

I like the idea of cute Rachael Ray dishes!

I also bought a bunch of Baby spoons, and 4-oz quilted Ball Jars with dissolvable labels. :)

Yay awesome!!! Congrats on your hard work & loss ;o) I am weighing once a week. Thursday is my day & yesterday was super exciting for me. As of yesterday I reached 70.2 lbs down total (pre & post op). I will be 2 months post op on the 26th & doing very well! So very thankful & like you, I am looking very forward to the future! New adventures, health & happiness!

Proud of you!!! You are an inspiration :)

Weighed in at 197.4 this morning .. 10.5 weeks out, sleeved on 12.12.13

Wish I could eat whatever I like in small portions but I'm still very restricted due to hernia repair

Started at 260 in October 2013

Surgery weight around 236

Down a total of almost 63 pounds in 4 months (only 38 since surgery) Happy about that!!

Spin classes 2-3 times per week and occasional walking DVDs and squats

I really miss sushi rolls guys!! ):

Wishing everyone great success along this roller coaster ride of a sleeved life.

I had surgery on 12/9/13. Great job December sleevers!! My weight loss had been a little slower than most . .. But it is definitely a loss. .yay! I am down 36 lbs from pre - op appt. Please add me to your list :)