Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Wanted to ask the group before calling my Doc...

Do you feel very uncomfortable after eating for about 30-45 minutes? I usually feel like my food is stuck in my esophagus and it would be very easy for me to vomit if I weren't laying down and being very still.

I haven't increased my food intake recently nor do I believe I am eating too quickly. I do however have an awful habit of drinking while eating which I'm trying to break but is so second nature I have to remove all fluids from my reach.

Any feedback is appreciated!

For me, that is a classic feeling of being too full. I would say it's definitely the eating with drinking. If you eat and drink, you'll have to leave room for the fluids by decreasing the volume of food you eat. If you chew your food well, it really isn't very hard (for me, anyway) to not drink while I eat. It's such a small amount. That's why we're not supposed to drink with our meals, because the Fluid takes up valuable room so we take in less food and then are likely hungry sooner.

Wanted to ask the group before calling my Doc... Do you feel very uncomfortable after eating for about 30-45 minutes? I usually feel like my food is stuck in my esophagus and it would be very easy for me to vomit if I weren't laying down and being very still. I haven't increased my food intake recently nor do I believe I am eating too quickly. I do however have an awful habit of drinking while eating which I'm trying to break but is so second nature I have to remove all fluids from my reach. Any feedback is appreciated!

Yes, the drinking while eating has been hard to break and if I do drink while I eat I feel the same way you do. I forget and will sip, then I get that heavy full feeling in my chest. I know it's because of the liquid.

In my case, I figured it to be associated w my spasms n hernia repair. I absolutely can not and do not drink w my meals, I even use a timer to tell me when to bite again but certain foods like eggs, which I've stopped eating, n then today, my Breakfast fish hurt me so bad while in church, I thought it was trying to swim back up my throat!! So painful but only w certain foods. Idk y but just my experiences thus far, but praying it gets better, and i'll do the same for y'all too.

For me I eat standing or sitting up straight. I found that if I'm bent or laying the food does not go down at all ...

I have also found that when I don't worry and just go with what feels right I don't feel sick. Sometimes it is a spoon here and there, sometimes I can actually take in more than expected. I follow the foods in my Nut outline but in regards to sizing and portions I make sure I take all my Vitamins get one meal with my Protein intake and try to get protein the rest of the day ... Sometimes I don't get my entire protein intake and sometimes I do.

I'm active - walk every day (having a dog has helped me and with a child helps me also stay active), and feel good. Had surgery on the 16th of DEC and have not hit my stall yet.

Stay at it and don't put so much pressure on yourself (mind and body). You are on your way. Keep at it, we are all in this together!

Wow... This is a wonderful site... Explains a lot food wise... Thanks for posting!

Wow... This is a wonderful site... Explains a lot food wise... Thanks for posting!

Good afternoon friends...Thank you AtlantaRed, Deez, Wombat, Sabrina, and Wendy for your answers and information.I REALLY appreciate it! I read just about every word that the "Brighaman" had to say...I wish I could of read it day one after surgery because I have made a few mistakes..Oop's! Oh well...I have learned so much just being on this site and all that you have to say...Thanks ...Thanks.. Thanks.Deez, so glad you are doing so well now. Well I am off to buy a scale (food scale) and to the gym. Have a amazing day friends.

Good afternoon friends...Thank you AtlantaRed, Deez, Wombat, Sabrina, and Wendy for your answers and information.I REALLY appreciate it! I read just about every word that the "Brighaman" had to say...I wish I could of read it day one after surgery because I have made a few mistakes..Oop's! Oh well...I have learned so much just being on this site and all that you have to say...Thanks ...Thanks.. Thanks.Deez, so glad you are doing so well now. Well I am off to buy a scale (food scale) and to the gym. Have a amazing day friends.

You are sooo welcome my friend, glad to help in any way. And ty for the well wishes, still a struggle trying to swallow but not as bad as it was. Gl with ur workout, have fun????.

I have been keeping up with the posts that get emailed to me daily for this forum... but knew I had not stopped in for a while! I have been more active on the FB page thought.

I had my 6 week follow up yesterday - they show that I started 3 pounds heavier than what I show due to it being 3pm in the afternoon the day they are accounting for - so to them I am 30 pounds lost - she said they would like for me to increase my calories and excercis and try to only be losign 1-2 pounds a week now.

I am free and clear to eat in moderation any meats, fish ect... I asked since my birthday is coming mid February and we are hosting my nephew coming in from the Navy stationed in Japan - If it would be okay to have a glass of wine during the celeration. She answered yes, and I could drink now if I wanted in moderation, but to be sure to account for the calorie intake. Now in my mind - it would have been better if they told me no drinking for 3 months or 6 months but gave me the green light to have A single glass of wine on bday. I have been doing just fine not drinking, but now that I know I can safely - it keeps popping in my brain! HAHAHA

I think with the gastric sleeve there is a huge grey area with what to eat and what not to eat/drink. Honestly, I've been trying things here and there just to see what happens. I took a bite oft husband's donut. It smelled and looked so good but it was so gross. I am so glad I took a bite!! Mushy dough with what tasted like chocolate chemical. If I didn't take a bite, I woulda thought all night about that donut. Now all I can think is how gross it was. So I enjoyed my plain Greek yogurt as a snack much more!!

Also, my sister and I took all five of our kids to Mcdonalds for lunch and to play in the play place (it's -40F here, so not much to do outdoors). Well of course I had a Protein Bar but my sisters fries looked and smelled sooo good!! So I took one. Blegh!!! One bite and grease like squirted out the fry and almost made me sick. Also, the after taste and the feeling of the roof of my mouth most made me sick.

I think these few little things are healthy and ver important. Both times it reminded me how drastically my taste has changed and how far I've come. It's so motivating to keep going!

So maybe it'll be the same thing with the wine you're wanting to drink... Something so satisfying in a pre gastric sleeve life may not be as desirable now.

I'm over 7 weeks out and loving the weight loss, started at 245. At 199, so officially in ONEDERLAND! :) 50 more pounds to go!

I have been keeping up with the posts that get emailed to me daily for this forum... but knew I had not stopped in for a while! I have been more active on the FB page thought.

I had my 6 week follow up yesterday - they show that I started 3 pounds heavier than what I show due to it being 3pm in the afternoon the day they are accounting for - so to them I am 30 pounds lost - she said they would like for me to increase my calories and excercis and try to only be losign 1-2 pounds a week now.

I am free and clear to eat in moderation any meats, fish ect... I asked since my birthday is coming mid February and we are hosting my nephew coming in from the Navy stationed in Japan - If it would be okay to have a glass of wine during the celeration. She answered yes, and I could drink now if I wanted in moderation, but to be sure to account for the calorie intake. Now in my mind - it would have been better if they told me no drinking for 3 months or 6 months but gave me the green light to have A single glass of wine on bday. I have been doing just fine not drinking, but now that I know I can safely - it keeps popping in my brain! HAHAHA

I am definitely not eating enough either, which is why my stall won't go away. It's so hard to eat when you don't feel hungry. I tried setting an alarm on my phone to remind me to eat, but sometimes I just can't. This was an issue for me before surgery as well. Not sure what to do to break this habit, but I have to do something.

I was at my Uncle's Funeral on Monday and I had my very first negative comment made to me by one of my Husband's Aunt's who I love more than anything by the way! She was drunk, but it still hurt a little. Not sure why people STILL think surgery is the easy way out! They need some education, which I would have given her but figured since she was drunk, it wouldn't really matter!

Although I don't post that often, I want you all to know that I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and thank you all for being here!!!!

It probably shouldn't be a surprise at this point that our doctors and their NUTs all have a different plan for what we can eat and when we can eat it. My Dr. says no alcohol for one year (they also warn that we will much more susceptible to alcohol with our smaller stomachs).

At this point my Dr. has sleevers on somewhat soft foods- mostly Protein (meat loaf, meats that aren't stringy, cottage cheese, cheese, cauliflower, green Beans, refried beans, etc., no corn, peas and other carb based veggies) from weeks 4-8.

I can really only get the protein part of my meal in at this point and the PA at the Drs office said that was fine as long as I was taking the Vitamins. I really enjoyed reading the information from the Brigham hospital, it seemed similar to what my Dr recommends.

The alcohol will be much harder for me come summer and our beach trip!

Like others, I have been in a stall for about a week now, this too will pass!

I was dreaming about drinking last nigh...lol. I wonder what my doctors guidelines are for drinking, he seems to be pretty easy going. I mean, I was drinking coffee maybe 11 days out, eating a regular diet at 2.5 weeks out, keeping in mind that I was tolerating everything wonderfully (thank God).

I wonder if I could even tolerate alcohol at this point, because when I ate a raw onion? It burned my tummy and I felt a little nausea.

My birthday is coming up and I've been scouring the internet for low calorie, non carbonated alcoholic drinks. So far, it appears there are several low cal vodkas available, I'm just having trouble finding mixers. I've read clamato is healthy and low cal but is just sounds disgusting. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. And yes, my Dr. has said it's okay to have an adult beverage on special occasions as long as I track it into my daily calorie intake.