Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Does anyone have an explanation for the "stall"? Why the body reacts.

I went to a support group meeting tonight (they are held twice a month by the NUT and the Nurse). This question came up tonight..and they explained your body is adjusting. It has gone through trauma, has dumped its Water weight and now must shift into burning actual fat. This causes it to pause and say hey wait a minute this is something new and I have to take a minute and reconfigure myself. For later stalls, it's just a matter of the body again catching up and readjusting itself.

Ultimately it breaks though. The advice given was just continue to work the program, make sure you're getting your Protein, Vitamins and water in and the scale will eventually move again because it is not possible for it to stand still forever with the amount of food you're taking in (if done properly and you're not in starvation mode). Myself and several others asked about upping our calories because we're working out 4-5 dyas a week and the NUT said you absolutely must. (okay so my trainer was right..lol..still glad I asked though) He said, if you're eating only 700 alories and burning 500, you're going to put your body in starvation mode and it will hold onto every thing. He also said the ceiling for those working out should be 1200 calories per day because as you gain muscle it will continue to burn calories 24 hours a day. Otherwise you will get weak and tired.

Sorry about the ramble..but I really enjoyed the support group, got a lot of info and made some new friends, locally.

Edited by Jerzygurl

Hello all, still in hospital, may be out Tuesday prayerfully! I have a question plz, I started on Water yesterday n crystal lite n boost today. Part of y I'm still here are due to spasms. Question did or does it hurt u guys when trying to swallow fluids. I hope I'm not going to end up w a stenosis, God.forbid. it hurts in my middle chest on the way down, ne1 experience this? Thx in advance my friends.

DeezJeans I experienced something very similar. I had my surgery on 12/16. Turns out I had scar tissue built up in my esophagus from years of acid reflux I didn't know I had. I also had a small hernia. I had to have a second procedure to remove the scar tissue and fix the little hernia, then the problem was solved. I hope your situation is resolved soon!

Hello all, still in hospital, may be out Tuesday prayerfully! I have a question plz, I started on Water yesterday n crystal lite n boost today. Part of y I'm still here are due to spasms. Question did or does it hurt u guys when trying to swallow fluids. I hope I'm not going to end up w a stenosis, God.forbid. it hurts in my middle chest on the way down, ne1 experience this? Thx in advance my friends.

Hi DeezJeanz,

First let me say that you have been my prayers, I hope you get to go home soon to enjoy the benefits of this life changing surgery. Your positive outlook is contagious, you should be proud of yourself (as we are of you!).

Yes, I remember feeling chest discomfort the when I started drinking fluids after the surgery. Be patient, try to take smaller sips. I also suffered from esophageal spasms, it only happened three times, but they were SO painful.

Continued prayers coming your way. Be strong and stay well. Soon you will be home watching the pounds melt.

xo,

Does anyone have an explanation for the "stall"? Why the body reacts.

Yes. Another member directed me to the following links that were very helpful. My weight has stalled for the past 12 days. Surgery was on Dec 16h. Good luck to you!

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html#.Ust9gaXM8tt

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/stalls+and+plateaus/

I must not have had this "stitch" as I have no pain on the left side or anywhere and never heard a "pop". I am back at work and occassionally carry items heavier than 5 lbs. there. I also have forgotten and picked up one of my dogs @ 21 lbs.

Do you think all surgeons make this stitch?

BTW back to work on 01/02/14, today was the 3rd day back at work…for those feeling bad, take heart, because if you would have told me I could do well at work after my surgery on 12/16 - and even a at Christmas, I would have laughed!

Its hard to believe that we can get by all day working after eating 450-600 calories all day! I feel tired but not as tired as I thought. More tired today because I stayed up to watch the first episode of "Downton Abbey" last night, LOL.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are still having such pain. What do your Drs say about this?

I've heard many talk about the stitch but my doc didn't mention it. My big incision was to the right of my belly button. My intense pain was where they put the port through the muscle and pull the stomach out. They then stitch the muscle back together. Every time I got up and down, I just had a ripping burning pain. Doc agreed my terrible pain was definitely the muscle.

It is definitely not easy, and pretty exhausting when it's over. When it is over, please continue on daily stool softeners and something like Miralax. Are you still on pain meds? They are very constipating.

Hope it passes soon!

---

Atlanta yes I understand I have to continue the s.s. I did Not have any Constipation while on pain meds, dilaudid in hospital then roxicet for a week. i just had diarrhea for a few days and extreme fatigue for a while

I Am on a ppi 2x a day and a pink carafate solution 3x a day that coats my stomach for ease with sipping due to major crying Induced hernia pain, pulsing and pressure -- it helps a little but my PA says the constipation is not from those rx's it's from Insufficient fluids

Thanks for your support, my family thinks I need to toughen up.

Hi Sandy,I'm brand new at this forum thing but an old sole with the #2 issue! I've had IBS for years and 2 weeks after my sleeve felt all the fun to the extreme. I used to live by Movicol regularly but because the built up gases in the clogged bowels (TMI) seem to increase the indigestion I couldn't take it! I found sipping hot Water (tea if its easier) while walking around seems to help a lot. It goes straight through within minutes. Also when nothing seems to help you can pick up home-enemas at the local chemist. It sounds awful but really isn't difficult and gives you painless relief in 30mins. It also helps remove the excess gasses. I definitely wouldn't recommend it commonly but for severe pain & 5+ days it's better than a trip to the ER.Thanks to everyone on here posting I had my surgery Dec 18th and struggling so really good to have people with the same experiences/concerns to help!Amy

I was told a few ago that I'm gttn DISCHARGED TODAYYYY! Praise God n THANK U ALL FOR UR PRAYERS N SUPPORT:). XOXOX. I'll luk when I'm home:))))

Hi Sandy,I'm brand new at this forum thing but an old sole with the #2 issue! I've had IBS for years and 2 weeks after my sleeve felt all the fun to the extreme. I used to live by Movicol regularly but because the built up gases in the clogged bowels (TMI) seem to increase the indigestion I couldn't take it! I found sipping hot Water (tea if its easier) while walking around seems to help a lot. It goes straight through within minutes. Also when nothing seems to help you can pick up home-enemas at the local chemist. It sounds awful but really isn't difficult and gives you painless relief in 30mins. It also helps remove the excess gasses. I definitely wouldn't recommend it commonly but for severe pain & 5+ days it's better than a trip to the ER.Thanks to everyone on here posting I had my surgery Dec 18th and struggling so really good to have people with the same experiences/concerns to help!Amy

---

Thanks for your reply Alice -- I'm still on colace 2x a day and don't have the stick painful feeling anymore after some movement sunday night and Monday morning --- I've been trying hard to up my Fluid intake -- my doc office didn't recommend enemas and told me to stop the magnesium citrate after one successful attempt

I had some movement this morning but very minor I'm just so thankful for not having to painfully push for over 15 minutes only to have no movement and a ton of pain sweating crying - not fun!

I'm sure i will get normal bm with time -- I miss food but fear I won't be able to tolerate anything for a while with my hernia repair

Best wishes for your post op recovery phase.

I'll be 4 weeks out on Thursday and down about 25 pounds already since surgery and 47 pounds total since I started healthier lifestyle in oct 2013. Kind of fast loss especially since I only want to lose another 40-45 pounds more total but with all the restrictions and my low tolerance for anything it's no surprise.

I was told a few ago that I'm gttn DISCHARGED TODAYYYY! Praise God n THANK U ALL FOR UR PRAYERS N SUPPORT:). XOXOX. I'll luk when I'm home:))))

God bless you Deez!! So happy to hear the good news!!!

I was sleeved on December 20th. I've been home since the 23rd and am getting my strength back more and more every day. I've lost a total of 30lbs since I started the pre-op liquid diet; 17 lbs since I was sleeved and a total of 67lbs since I began this journey. So excited to finally be on this side of being sleeved and can't wait to see what my future holds in store for me.

Question: is anyone else having a hard time getting all their protien and a total of 64 oz Fluid in every day? (I know the shakes count as some of the required fluids but I can't get anywhere near 64 oz of anything in in a day) I was excited today for the sad fact that I was able to drink an entire protien shake (only took 6 hours to drink one 14oz shake, ugh) but after geting that down I don't have room for Water or crystal light. Is this normal this early in my journey? Also, I have a TON of food allergies and have unfortunately figured out that I'm allergic to the powdered protien mixes so I can't mix unflavored protien into my water/crystal light. Any ideas?

-

I was sleeved on dec12 and still struggling to get in minimum 50g Protein and 48oz water per my NUT

On a good day I'm probably getting in around 300 calories -- 30g protein and 32 oz water

Incredibly weak these days too; lost about 25lbs in 3 weeks since surgery

Didn't think 3 weeks out would look like this but it should get better

I had hiatal hernia repair same time so I believe that is my greatest challenge ... I actually broke down and cried while on the phone with my NUT the other day; it hurt so bad to sip anything

Im doing a bit better with sipping now due to the carafate solution my surgeon prescribed me but still not easy -- I'm thankful for the tiny progressions

Best wishes to you!!

I was also sleeved on the 20th and am also struggling to get all my H20 and protein in, Amiee0176, my intake is exactly the same as yours. I am really struggling to drink any more protein drinks... They all just make me nautious now because I'm sick of them. When I eat, it's protein, but, I can barely eat more than 3-4 bites and then I'm full. Im on a week vacation at Disneyworld though, so I haven't been really as focused on eating and drinking as maybe I would be if I were just at home. But I'm getting a TON of exercise this week though with all the walking around... Best way to get back into exercising in my opinion! I'm hoping it will get easier as we're more healed and can incorporate more variety. I don't know all my numbers yet, there's no scale here so I'm excited to get home on Friday and see how I did this week. I was 12 lbs down since surgery last Friday and 26 total including pre-op. but I am definitely seeing a difference in my body so I think it'll be a good week

Woohoo! I'm so happy for you! Onward and upward!

Great news!!! Take it easy when you get home.

Honey's I'M HOMMME!! I'm soooo glad to be here. Yippie:). Ty again for ur prayers as I continued n will continue lifting u all up as well. I got on the scale finally and I'll post it here as well bc Ik not everyone is n the lbs loss forum...

HW: 237.8

SW: 227.8

CW: 219.2

I'll take it n Praise God! Chat ltr, have to unpack n settle but wanted to share w my wls family:))

Honey's I'M HOMMME!! I'm soooo glad to be here. Yippie:). Ty again for ur prayers as I continued n will continue lifting u all up as well. I got on the scale finally and I'll post it here as well bc Ik not everyone is n the lbs loss forum...

HW: 237.8

SW: 227.8

CW: 219.2

I'll take it n Praise God! Chat ltr, have to unpack n settle but wanted to share w my wls family:))

Wonderful news!! Continue to take it easy and enjoy being home!

Honey's I'M HOMMME!! I'm soooo glad to be here. Yippie:). Ty again for ur prayers as I continued n will continue lifting u all up as well. I got on the scale finally and I'll post it here as well bc Ik not everyone is n the lbs loss forum... HW: 237.8 SW: 227.8 CW: 219.2 I'll take it n Praise God! Chat ltr, have to unpack n settle but wanted to share w my wls family:))

AWESOME!!!!!