Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

KaminaBlue, I was sleeved on 12/11 as well. I was on clear liquid 10 days, full liquid 7 days and now pureed food. I have (since the last time I weighed) lost 19 lbs total from pre-op Protein through Saturday. I have not felt compelled to "cheat". I have Protein Drinks that I can drink that are chocolate, or vanilla and I will put in sugar free pudding for a flavor I want. I find I am more up for apple sauce and puddings from my last stage rather than pureed food. How about cottage cheese? What kind of carbs are you craving. I made a root veg roast and mashed it...

Sandisleeve are you going back to hot yoga? I have been hesitant because I sweat so much and I am concerned about dehydration.

--

I'm 3 weeks out and still not enough energy so will stick to walking for now

I was in ER on day 11 for dehydration so I'm concerned About that too

I really am looking forward to spin classes in the next month or so more than yoga -- I've only done it a few times this past summer but spinning is typically 2-4 times per week for me

What size bougie did your surgeon use? That's the biggest gauge of how much restriction you will have

He used a 48

One study I read stated that the US standard for bougie size for VSG is 32-50. Besides bougie size, There are other deciding factors as to how big your stomach capacity ends up being.... How tight against the bougie does the the surgeon put the staple line and whether or not he oversews (which will further decrease the diameter of your sleeve). Scar tissue, areas of stricture, and gastric motility will also play a role in restriction. My surgeon used a 34 Fr bougie and oversews, so everything else being equal, I should have greater restriction than if I'd had a 48Fr with no oversewing. However, our eating habits (whether or not we overeat and stretch our sleeves) will also play a role in long term capacity and overall weight loss.

Happy New Years to all my December sleevers!!!!!!!!!

Here's my confession...I cheated yesterday and had a Lindt Milk Chocolate! I'm craving carbs. Help! Is anyone else struggling maintaing Stage 2 full liquids? I was sleeved 12/11. :{

Try not to give in to the carbs. They only make you want more. We only have a year, give or take, to maximize our success with this opportunity. You've had as lifetime of chocolate. You know what it tastes like. You can have a taste again after you reach goal, but even then it will be a slippery slope. Hang in there!

Happy New Year everyone... May this be a wonderful and healthy new start for us all!!

Hey Everyone,

Happy New Year!! I am hoping everyone will have an incredible 2014!

I'm a little stressed out myself (does not negate that 2014 is going to be incredible!). I will be seeing my surgeon tomorrow and my primary care doctor on Monday and will be talking to them about some of this stuff but I do want to post here to see if anyone else is experiencing what I am.

So I have been dehydrated. I'm not experiencing dizziness but my skin feels like a reptile and my urine is pretty dark. I'm at about 50 ozs of Water a day which helps somewhat with the color of my urine. However, I feel like something is wrong with my body. Something feels off. For the last two days I've had some sensation in my lower back which could be due to the dehydration. I'm not sure. In any case, I am anxious about it.

My second issue is I've been getting acid reflux pretty badly. Sometimes I can't even sip my Water. I started taking antacid otc med about three days ago to combat it somewhat. Without it, I wouldn't even be able to eat the little I am eating. It is annoying and I'm praying that it doesn't last for a long time.

Is anyone else having similar experiences? I absolutely DO NOT regret the surgery at all. I know the body is a very mercurial thing and issues arise. But it's nice to not be alone.

Again, Happy New Year Everybody

Robin

Hi Robin.... I too have had problems with the acid reflux, so I have been taking a antacid morning and night and that has helped. Plus make sure your not drinking Water before you eat. I was told to try to drink 64 oz. of Water a day...Good luck :)

Hey Everyone,

I'm a little stressed out myself (does not negate that 2014 is going to be incredible!). I will be seeing my surgeon tomorrow and my primary care doctor on Monday and will be talking to them about some of this stuff but I do want to post here to see if anyone else is experiencing what I am.

So I have been dehydrated. I'm not experiencing dizziness but my skin feels like a reptile and my urine is pretty dark. I'm at about 50 ozs of water a day which helps somewhat with the color of my urine. However, I feel like something is wrong with my body. Something feels off. For the last two days I've had some sensation in my lower back which could be due to the dehydration. I'm not sure. In any case, I am anxious about it.

My second issue is I've been getting acid reflux pretty badly. Sometimes I can't even sip my water. I started taking antacid otc med about three days ago to combat it somewhat. Without it, I wouldn't even be able to eat the little I am eating. It is annoying and I'm praying that it doesn't last for a long time.

Is anyone else having similar experiences? I absolutely DO NOT regret the surgery at all. I know the body is a very mercurial thing and issues arise. But it's nice to not be alone.

Robin

Happy New Year fellow Dec. Sleevers...Cheers to feeling good and healthy!

As far as the alligator skin, I have Patches of that happening right now too. I attribute mine to dry heat and eating such a low fat diet. I actually upped my fat intake (I was getting a skimp 5-10 grams a day). I could be wrong though.

Hey Everyone,

So I have been dehydrated. I'm not experiencing dizziness but my skin feels like a reptile and my urine is pretty dark. I'm at about 50 ozs of Water a day which helps somewhat with the color of my urine. However, I feel like something is wrong with my body. Something feels off. For the last two days I've had some sensation in my lower back which could be due to the dehydration. I'm not sure. In any case, I am anxious about it.

My second issue is I've been getting acid reflux pretty badly. Sometimes I can't even sip my Water. I started taking antacid otc med about three days ago to combat it somewhat. Without it, I wouldn't even be able to eat the little I am eating. It is annoying and I'm praying that it doesn't last for a long time.

Robin

You are not alone. I had no acid problems until recently, so doc told me to buy Prilosec, take one in the morning and one at night, and also to buy Gaviscon and take a dosage twice a day. It has helped tremendously. I was kind of surprised that the acid showed up because I haven't had any acid reflux problems for well over 8 years. Just strange that it decides to reappear after surgery.

As for the skin thing. My skin is very, very dry and in the winter even drier still but I have noticed that it seems even drier now, even with all the water I'm consuming. Is it a side effect from the surgery, I'm not sure.

You should try getting more water in because you don't want to end up in the hospital from dehydration. Your urine shouldn't be so dark. Hope the doc can help you figure it out.

Good Luck.

Anyone want to be Fitness Pal buddies? Feel free to add me! xmarycontraryx or email maryallisondixon@gmail.com

Anyone want to be Fitness Pal buddies? Feel free to add me! xmarycontraryx or email maryallisondixon@gmail.com

I sent you a friend request! :)

I don't know if I mentioned this here or not, but prior to my surgery, I could drink quite a bit of Water....after my surgery, I really, really struggled (still do at times) with getting my Water in. The first thing I realized was that I could no longer stomach the taste of tap water. As bizarre as that sounds, tap water (which I could drink just fine prior to surgery) had an awful taste, so I was sipping maybe an ounce or two ounces an hour, and could barely get in a 16 oz bottle in one day. Once I switched over to fresh bottled water, I could easily get in 32 ounces.

That being said, I am still far away from the recommended 64 oz of water we are supposed to get, BUT I am much closer than I was before. I also have a friend who said that Smart Water is really the only water she can drink now as well...

Good everyone. Well my stay in the hospital has been extended till Friday at the least because my swallow test was inconclusive because I'm so very tight right now. Third day of not eating or drinking anything just have to swab my mouth and spit it out. Kind of scary and yeah makes me wonder why I did it. if I were not having spasms in my chest and heart I could come home tomorrow so please continue lifting me up in prayer, its greatly appreciate. Gn all.:)

Good everyone. Well my stay in the hospital has been extended till Friday at the least because my swallow test was inconclusive because I'm so very tight right now. Third day of not eating or drinking anything just have to swab my mouth and spit it out. Kind of scary and yeah makes me wonder why I did it. if I were not having spasms in my chest and heart I could come home tomorrow so please continue lifting me up in prayer, its greatly appreciate. Gn all.:)

Oh dear Deez...I am lifting you up in prayer for you. I pray that your tummy opens up and you are able to pass all of your tests and can recover in the comfort of your home. We miss you here and pray you are up and around in no time.