Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Question: Does anyone count there calories? If so how? Because I know that I never eat all of anything. From Jello, to apple sauce, pudding, refried Beans, anything!!

Question: Does anyone count there calories? If so how? Because I know that I never eat all of anything. From Jello, to apple sauce, pudding, refried Beans, anything!!

Yes, I count everything i eat. I use My Fitness Pal. There is a huge database of most foods but you can also create your own foods by listing the ingredients you use and you can adjust how much you had. So, applesauce is usually a 4 ounce serving. If you only eat half, you would change the serving to 0.5 for half. I also bought a food scale and I measure out all of my food. On My Fitness Pal, you can also use your smartphone to scan the barcode of any food label and it will automatically load the numbers for you!

Hope that helps!

As of today, I am down 17.4 pounds since Dec 10 surgery, and 23 including pre op. Again, thanks for tracking all this!

Hi Coachdk! Congrats on your loss!

I don't have the link but I think you can message MinWin or look for the December 2013 pounds lost thread. That is where she is tracking the pounds lost!

Yes, I count everything I put in my mouth. I track it all in my fitnesspal from a cup of Decaf tea with two packs of stevia to a tablespoon of salsa and a scoop of Protein Powder. Right now, NUT has my cap of calories at 700. I've gone over maybe 2x, but mostly I stay below or around 600.

It's good to measure and track that way you can see the whole picture.

My fitnesspal really is a great tool.

Yes, I count everything i eat. I use My Fitness Pal. There is a huge database of most foods but you can also create your own foods by listing the ingredients you use and you can adjust how much you had. So, applesauce is usually a 4 ounce serving. If you only eat half, you would change the serving to 0.5 for half. I also bought a food scale and I measure out all of my food. On My Fitness Pal, you can also use your smartphone to scan the barcode of any food label and it will automatically load the numbers for you!

Hope that helps!

BINGO!

Hello my fellow sleevers and Ty for such a warm bench, thoughts and prayers xoxoxo!! Yesterday was a really bad day n horrible night. I had a hernia repaired as well, so now I'm havn what they call esophageal spasms, they gave me evry med under the sun...they gave me the scop patch for nausea bc the meds had my eyes bouncing everywhere and I'm bad about motion sickness. I do however, have a lot of chest pains that move to my heart, they did so many test to rule out heart attack, all is well w my heart, Praise God! Today I was given an nsaid, which yall know is contraindicated for us sleevers but it made all my suffering from pain go completely away.. they double check w the physician but bc I'd been given so much meds which I was allergic too, Not sure which, so I was then given benedryl a lot. This morning was taken for leak test but the contrast only a little traveled through so they cancelled it for tomorrow, doc said I was too swollen inside. So another day wo drinking. Just swabs to wet my whistle. I dont think I have gas pains but either way, this pain n my chest and heart is killing me. My families here and taking care of me, Yippie . My throat is fine, wudn even know I had a tube in it. Still have catheter, leg hoses and pain pump. Other than these spasms, which feels like a knife cutting me inside and hiccup spasms, I feel pretty good. Thank you my friends and prayer warriors! I appreciate u gr8ly:). To all of todays sleevers I pray ur all recovering well, I'm so proud of our Dec group, we have made it. In advance, HAPPY NEW YR, can't wait for us all to start posting b4 and after pics! Gonna b fun:) XOXO :)))) take care

Doesn't look like I will be going home today. I only had one ounce of apple juice in the last 3 hours. This is not good. They just gave my some broth and I am loving it. I can't tolerate plain Water though. I am not hungry at all. My brain is though . Not in pain so much which is good but every once in a while they give me medication because my stomach is sore.. I am so glad I reminded my nurse that I am allergic to codeine because that's what my doctor ordered apparently. So sucks I can't take the strong medication but it's manageable. I am watching spongebob square pants on tv lol I am 25 so hey it's acceptable. Make sure you take a blistex with you. That helped me so much. Now I'm gonna go enjoy my broth yummy.

Deez, continued prayers your way.

Hi Coachdk! Congrats on your loss! I don't have the link but I think you can message MinWin or look for the December 2013 pounds lost thread. That is where she is tracking the pounds lost!

Thanks...I posted there. Guess I got confused amongst the December threads.

So sometimes I am able to drink my Water so quickly and several ounces at a time, I keep thinking there is something wrong with me! All liquids go down way to easy.... I want puree so bad just to feel that restriction to make sure all is as it should be. I am still not "hungry" so that is a good thing, but with the liquids only, I really don't get that full feeling.

tami j,

I understand what you are talking about regarding the ability to drink more ounces at a time than others are reporting. I have experienced the same thing, too, and I was starting to think something was wrong. Contacted my NUT and she let me know there is nothing wrong with this at all, it's perhaps a blessing. It's good to be able to get all of these fluids in and just make sure I monitor the amounts I'm drinking.

I haven't really felt physical hunger but have experienced head hunger and I'm looking at these experiences as an opportunity to understand the difference between the two.

I'm loving cottage cheese and vanilla yogurt like never before-- I'm going to move to pureed food later this week, a little earlier than the typical schedule but with my ability to swallow and hold more than most, it's giving me the chance to move ahead a little quicker.

The scale was moving slowly but the last 3 days I'm seeing it move at a more gratifying pace. All in all, it's a good journey so far and I'm humbled by the progress. I have certainly done little in the last 20 years to give my body a reason to respond so well to my desire to get healthy. God is good

tami j, I understand what you are talking about regarding the ability to drink more ounces at a time than others are reporting. I have experienced the same thing, too, and I was starting to think something was wrong. Contacted my NUT and she let me know there is nothing wrong with this at all, it's perhaps a blessing. It's good to be able to get all of these fluids in and just make sure I monitor the amounts I'm drinking. I haven't really felt physical hunger but have experienced head hunger and I'm looking at these experiences as an opportunity to understand the difference between the two. I'm loving cottage cheese and vanilla yogurt like never before-- I'm going to move to pureed food later this week, a little earlier than the typical schedule but with my ability to swallow and hold more than most, it's giving me the chance to move ahead a little quicker. The scale was moving slowly but the last 3 days I'm seeing it move at a more gratifying pace. All in all, it's a good journey so far and I'm humbled by the progress. I have certainly done little in the last 20 years to give my body a reason to respond so well to my desire to get healthy. God is good

Like you guys I am able to drink well, and thus was moving ahead on adding more things to my diet... The PA at my surgeons office cautioned me and said that while I may have good capacity the staple line is still healing and things like pudding, and yogurt are tougher to digest... So I am back to shakes Soups and clear liquids... Needless to say I am bummed as I thought I was doing quite well for myself.

Mazzers120 - Glad you had a good surgery. I really enjoyed my time down there. Are you headed back to San Diego tomorrow? Tell the driver hello from the "stressed out girls" who were trying to get to the airport on time on Monday the 23rd. And ask him if he ever got that bottle of tequila. ;)

Edited by Kindle

Today I was given an nsaid, which yall know is contraindicated for us sleevers but it made all my suffering from pain go completely away..

To my surprise, the pain med my surgeon sends home with every patient is a sublingual NSAID to be taken twice daily for up to 4 days. I took it for 3 days. I forgot to ask why, but my guess is that the benefits of reducing the post op swelling (thus decreasing stricture and leak complications, and increasing ability to drink fluids right away) outweighs the risk of ulcers over such a short duration. Plus we are on 2 weeks of an anti ulcer medication and 2 months of a PPI, so our sleeve is pretty protected. We were told to take regular Tylenol if we had anymore pain past the 4 days of the Rx NSAID. Luckily I never needed to.