Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Sleeved on the 27th with hiatal hernia repair. Glad to have finally made it to the losers bench. Still at hospital...day 1 post op. Well be discharged tomorrow. Overall doing good. Have been experiencing some pain, but it's manageable. Walking and walking and walking and using gas x strips, but the gas is stubborn and don't won't to get out. It hasn't been all peaches and cream, but it is doable. Plan to hang it there, because for a change I KNOW I CAN SUCCEED WITH MY NEWEST TOOL.

HW 308 in March 2013

JW 289 in Oct 2013 (weight when I started this sleeve journey)

SW 276.4 (lost 12 pounds on pre op diet)

CW...will update after 1 week post op appt

The best item i brought with me was my mini electric massager, it really helped relax my back and shoulder muscles which seemed so tensed and achy after surgery.

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts of well wishes!!!

My thoughts and prayers go out for those yet to be sleeved, and also to those already sleeved.

Thanks everyone, I'll try that. Ive been doing the gas-X strips and tums, but its Still not 100%. It's really hard for me to get anything down when I feel like it just sits on my esophagus and burns...

One day I felt a bit like that, I drank my Water while I took my walk. The wiggling side to side kinda helped bring the bubbles up. Plenty of people need a prescription strength PPI to help reduce the acid. If u suspect that is your issue I'd call the doc. You may not have to suffer like this.

Also, could I ask what you are eating in a given day? Perhaps we can pinpoint something that is aggravating things. For instance, some people become lactose intolerant for a time post op.

Edited by Thick'n'Thin

Thanks everyone, I'll try that. Ive been doing the gas-X strips and tums, but its Still not 100%. It's really hard for me to get anything down when I feel like it just sits on my esophagus and burns...

One day I felt a bit like that, I drank my Water while I took my walk. The wiggling side to side kinda helped bring the bubbles up. Plenty of people need a prescription strength PPI to help reduce the acid. If u suspect that is your issue I'd call the doc. You may not have to suffer like this.

Also, could I ask what you are eating in a given day? Perhaps we can pinpoint something that is aggravating things. For instance, some people become lactose intolerant for a time post op.

It varies from day to day, but usually starts out with a Protein Shake of some kind, usually using water or almond milk, sometimes a little Greek yogurt for the smoothie. lunch is usually a reduced sodium or fat free chicken or beef broth. dinner is a creamy Soup of some kind sometimes with unflavored Protein powder in it. Depending on how much protein I need or not, perhaps another clear Protein Drink. And all of this feels impossible to finish and get in more than 4-5 glasses of water. I am literally tired of eating because it takes me like an hour to finish each meal and I'm not hungry at all so I feel like I'm just forcing myself to eat and drink.

Right there with ya! My Multivitamin and the Life Water I'm drinking are giving me enough B12, should I add a tablet? Maybe it's a lack of Protein. I'm not at 60 grams/day yet. I'm around 40.

Quickest way to up your protein intake is to add some plain Protein Powder to your broth, puddings, Soups and some Liquid Protein to your water. It will get your numbers up without having to ingest a lot more food.< /p>

The above info I received from the NUT and my Sleeve Mentor when I was struggling with it and it has worked like a charm.

It definitely helped. Doc also said, the body is still recovering from the trauma of surgery, so tiredness is normal, at least for a little bit.

Edited by Jerzygurl

Right there with ya! My multivitamin and the Life Water I'm drinking are giving me enough B12, should I add a tablet? Maybe it's a lack of Protein. I'm not at 60 grams/day yet. I'm around 40.

You need to take sublingual B12 ( 500mcg daily) or injections (1000mcg) monthly. They removed the fundus part of your stomach which produces intrinsic factor. Intrinsic factor is required for your intestines to absorb B12. So basically we can no longer absorb oral B12, so all the Multivitamins and Lifewater in the world may not be enough. Make sure you follow up with post op bloodwork to monitor your B12, Iron, Calcium and D3 levels at least annually.

Surgeon told me I would be taking sublingual B12 forever

I have a question. Were any of you told you could not use a Straw and if so why not?!

I was told two different things about straws. The paperwork the hospital gave said no for 4 weeks and the doctor's office paper work said no straws ever ever again?!?!?!

I have a question. Were any of you told you could not use a Straw and if so why not?!

I was told two different things about straws. The paperwork the hospital gave said no for 4 weeks and the doctor's office paper work said no straws ever ever again?!?!?!

You can take in air when using a straw, causing gas and leaving less room for food in the little sleeve and the possibility of discomfort until expelled. My surgeon said no more straws ever again.

Hello everyone. I am struggling to find the unflavored Protein powder everyone mentions. Could anyone possibly give me the name or show a link to where I could buy this please?

Hello everyone. I am struggling to find the unflavored Protein powder everyone mentions. Could anyone possibly give me the name or show a link to where I could buy this please?

I use Unjury unflavored protein powder - www.unjury.com

I also have Jarrow unflavored protein powder I got through Amazon.com, but prefer the Unjury. There are a LOT of different ones for sure!

I seem to have hit the famous 3 week stall at 19 days out. I haven't changed my diet or activity and have been at the same weight (or slightly higher) for 3 days.

Sticking to my program and hoping to break free soon ....

I use Beneprotein

I am 24 hours from surgery!! I am feeling really good and excited but my 17 year old had a melt down last night and came home a day early from his dad's because he is worried about me. I feel a little guilty to put my kids through this. I know it is for the best for my future (and their future) but it is going to be rough for the first few days.

Any advice on how to reassure my kids (20, 17, 15)? I have a feeling that the waiting room will be tense for them.