Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Hi everyone! Thanks for the well wishes. Surgery was yesterday morning at 9. I was so tired before that from going to bed so late (work) and getting up so early to get to the hospital.

The hospital and staff were amazing. Even though there are closer hospitals, given a choice, I will go back there!

Surgery went well. He found out that I have a congenital birth defect! I have a diaphragmatic hernia (hernia/opening in my diaphragm. He said he could only do one or the other so he did the sleeve and said I would need to get the hernia fixed at some point.

Due to my previous terrible recoveries I made sure they did all they could do. I took the emend when I got to the hospital, then they gave me of ran under the tongue and patch behind the ear. I still woke up a bit sick but nothing like before and it didn't last long. I have 5 incisions. One on my right side where he pulled out the stomach hurts the most. I was on dilaudid at the hospital. I was in no pain as long as I didn't move! I had some gas pain just in mid chest. I did take a gasx. Not sure if that helped or if it just went away on its own.

I peed all night long, almost every hour. I was able to do it all myself but needed help reconnecting the SCD boots. I would get up, go to the bathroom, quick walk down the hall, pee again and then get back in bed.

I am very fortunate in that I can drink pretty easily. I have to stop myself because too many sips causes a bit of pain in my chest but I'm even able to drink my shakes. I hated everything they gave me as it was all sugar free. I tasted all of it just to see if I could tolerate it, and I could.

When I got home, I made a shake with a dose of Miralax as I want stay on top of that. I'm pretty much staying put in the recliner in my bedroom. I only take the dilaudid when I have pain while not moving. No catheter, no drain.

I don't know when I will be able to add the new people to the list. If someone wants to copy and paste the most recent list into a new reply, they can also add the new folks.

I hope everyone is doing well on their preops and postops!

My surgery is Dec. 18, 2013 in San Antonio, TX with Dr. Seger! Very nervous and excited!

Hi

I had my surgery with Dr. Seger on the 10th! All went fine, just as expected. Nursing care was excellent (well, the night aides coulda been better but they were tired...do 12 hour shifts). The chair in your room that makes a "bed" is not comfy. Was really glad I brought my extension cord for my phone. Didn't need much else. You might want a comfy pillow from home, but not your favorite in case it gets lost. Was visited by both the doc who is the fellow, dr Seger and Dr Duperier and the NUT plus a very good internist from the hospital. No complaints, drinking well, but ready for full liquids!

There are other ways to get your Protein in. Buy some of the Protein Shots or Isopure drinks and dilute them with Water and just drink it that way. I'm doing that now, I buy the Protein shots, raspberry and apple are my favorites, and then grape. I take the whole shot and dump it into 32 oz of Water and finish it off... it's 42 grams of protein. You can make it stronger or weaker depending upon how much water you use. I've used less too..and it works just as well.

Jerzygurl may I ask which protein shots you are using? I've tried so many and wondering if there's some I missed. Thanks!

Sure. They are called New whey Protein shots. There are a bunch of different flavors; fruit punch, apple, blue raspberry, acai berry, watermelon and grape. I buy them at the Vitaminshoppe. Most times I just dump them in water, but other times like what I'm drinking right now, I've mixed the apple shot with a pack of crystal light lemonade--very delicious and refreshing. I've also mixed the grape with Milo grape squirts and water, and another fav is crystal light raspberry lemonade and the blue raspberry protein shot, or and hmmm the acai berry and Milo berry. It's the easiest way for me to get my protein in besides my premier Protein shakes. You kill two birds with one stone, water and protein :-) Nut said it was a very good idea because I sip in over a period of time.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the well wishes. Surgery was yesterday morning at 9. I was so tired before that from going to bed so late (work) and getting up so early to get to the hospital.

The hospital and staff were amazing. Even though there are closer hospitals, given a choice, I will go back there!

Surgery went well. He found out that I have a congenital birth defect! I have a diaphragmatic hernia (hernia/opening in my diaphragm. He said he could only do one or the other so he did the sleeve and said I would need to get the hernia fixed at some point.

Due to my previous terrible recoveries I made sure they did all they could do. I took the emend when I got to the hospital, then they gave me of ran under the tongue and patch behind the ear. I still woke up a bit sick but nothing like before and it didn't last long. I have 5 incisions. One on my right side where he pulled out the stomach hurts the most. I was on dilaudid at the hospital. I was in no pain as long as I didn't move! I had some gas pain just in mid chest. I did take a gasx. Not sure if that helped or if it just went away on its own.

I peed all night long, almost every hour. I was able to do it all myself but needed help reconnecting the SCD boots. I would get up, go to the bathroom, quick walk down the hall, pee again and then get back in bed.

I am very fortunate in that I can drink pretty easily. I have to stop myself because too many sips causes a bit of pain in my chest but I'm even able to drink my shakes. I hated everything they gave me as it was all sugar free. I tasted all of it just to see if I could tolerate it, and I could.

When I got home, I made a shake with a dose of Miralax as I want stay on top of that. I'm pretty much staying put in the recliner in my bedroom. I only take the dilaudid when I have pain while not moving. No catheter, no drain.

I don't know when I will be able to add the new people to the list. If someone wants to copy and paste the most recent list into a new reply, they can also add the new folks.

I hope everyone is doing well on their preops and postops!

So glad you made it through and home safely. Rest now.

Sure. They are called New Whey Protein shots. There are a bunch of different flavors; fruit punch, apple, blue raspberry, acai berry, watermelon and grape. I buy them at the Vitaminshoppe. Most times I just dump them in Water, but other times like what I'm drinking right now, I've mixed the apple shot with a pack of crystal light lemonade--very delicious and refreshing. I've also mixed the grape with Milo grape squirts and Water, and another fav is crystal light raspberry lemonade and the blue raspberry Protein shot, or and hmmm the acai berry and Milo berry. It's the easiest way for me to get my protein in besides my Premier Protein shakes. You kill two birds with one stone, water and protein :-) Nut said it was a very good idea because I sip in over a period of time.

Awesome, thank you! I actually have a New whey variety pack box, but I don't think the apple is in it. I do like that brand! Great idea with the Mio squirts (I assume you mean Mio not Milo right?) Will try that soon, sounds good.

Sure. They are called New Whey Protein shots. There are a bunch of different flavors; fruit punch, apple, blue raspberry, acai berry, watermelon and grape. I buy them at the Vitaminshoppe. Most times I just dump them in Water, but other times like what I'm drinking right now, I've mixed the apple shot with a pack of crystal light lemonade--very delicious and refreshing. I've also mixed the grape with Milo grape squirts and Water, and another fav is crystal light raspberry lemonade and the blue raspberry Protein shot, or and hmmm the acai berry and Milo berry. It's the easiest way for me to get my protein in besides my Premier Protein shakes. You kill two birds with one stone, water and protein :-) Nut said it was a very good idea because I sip in over a period of time.

Awesome, thank you! I actually have a New Whey variety pack box, but I don't think the apple is in it. I do like that brand! Great idea with the Mio squirts (I assume you mean Mio not Milo right?) Will try that soon, sounds good.

Yes Mio...lol I was watching Milo the Cat with my niece today, so I guess it's stuck in my brain..ha ha

Welcome, you'll find our December group a very friendly and helpful group. Good luck on your pre-op, many of us had 2 weeks and it really goes faster than you would think!

Thanks!!! The December group does seem friendly and VERY helpful. So to my fellow December sleevers keep sharing the knowledge, it's greatly appreciated. I instantly felt like I belonged here. I have so many different emotions as the days go by, but yet I am excited and know this is the best thing I can do for myself.

"KeRrAZeE" and "Coachdk"

I am also in San Antonio....Dr. Cavazos on the 27th. Best of luck y'all!!!

thanks tsneed73! I will keep yall up to date! Good luck to you as well!

not regretting it, but it has been tough for me to eat and drink liquids. When did you have surgery? It gets better each day I promise. The first week I was getting in maybe 20oz of Water and now I'm up to the 64oz. I just have a Water in my hand at all times lol

I had surgery on the 11th. I feel like I'm getting no liquids at all. I know it'll get better with time. Time just needs to come faster lol.

I just keep sipping, not really counting liquids yet to keep hydrated...one day at a time! I also was sleeved on Dec 11th the pain is manageable I've only taken this evening to help sleep. My drain is still pumping out this reddish Fluid, but doctor said as long as it's not greenish or yellowish no need to worry. I don't regret the decision as I was miserable with the band. I'm excited and focusing on healing!!!

Sure. They are called New Whey Protein Shots. There are a bunch of different flavors; fruit punch, apple, blue raspberry, acai berry, watermelon and grape. I buy them at the Vitaminshoppe. Most times I just dump them in Water, but other times like what I'm drinking right now, I've mixed the apple shot with a pack of crystal light lemonade--very delicious and refreshing. I've also mixed the grape with Milo grape squirts and water, and another fav is crystal light raspberry lemonade and the blue raspberry Protein shot, or and hmmm the acai berry and Milo berry. It's the easiest way for me to get my protein in besides my Premier Protein shakes. You kill two birds with one stone, water and protein :-) Nut said it was a very good idea because I sip in over a period of time.

Awesome, thank you! I actually have a New Whey variety pack box, but I don't think the apple is in it. I do like that brand! Great idea with the Mio squirts (I assume you mean Mio not Milo right?) Will try that soon, sounds good.

Btw, I just decided tonight to make a batch of protein pops...from my mixture. I ran out of sugar free pops and there was no way I'm running out to the store in this weather, so I decided to just make some with a kit I've had from my weight watchers days. They are in the freezer now, I will let you know how they turn out...it will be another way to get our protein in, if it works out. The mixture I'm drinking now taste like a Green Apple Jolly Rancher..hope the ice pops turn out the same..never tried to freeze protein before.

Anyway, I'll let you know. I put some in an ice tray too, see if I can make some ice cubes to suck on.

I would like to try unflavored Protein Powder in Soup but I'm not allowed to have creamed Soups until mushy stage.< /p>

I use Syntrax Nectar unflavored powder mixed with 16oz of Water and a Crystal Lite packet. It's as this as water and the 20g of Protein is indistinguishable.

HOLY COW!!!!!!!

In 3 Minutes i will have 3 DAYS LEFT TIL SURGERY!!!

WTH MAN ... :huh:

I have a question. Anyone regretting their decision? No one has said anything so I was just wondering. I'm having a problem with drinking. Doesn't matter how small the sip or how slow I can feel it go through my sleeve and it gurgels (sp?) At me every time.

Hang in there! Throughout these threads, people have moments of buyer's remorse right after surgery. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself time to heal. In no time, your sleeve will regulate and you'll feel and be doing so much better, and the weight will be melting off.

QUESTION??? TO THOSE WHO'VE BEEN SLEEVED!!!

- Did you ask to see what your stomach looked like, or if they took pictures etc.

I'm very curious to know what it looks like on the inside!! Like was it fatty, was my liver smaller , the list goes on an on..