Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

3 days post op and started shakes again. I hate them, all flavors, and don't know how I am going to get through the next 2 weeks.

I know what you mean….I don't like the taste of any I have tried. A friend who had the gastric bypass last spring tells me she is still drinking at least one a day to get enough Protein in! I wasn't counting on that.

The shakes taste like chocolate flavored talcum powder!

So I just told someone about my surgery coming up on Monday and I got the rudest response which is making me really upset. They said, oh no that's terrible. You couldn't do it on your own? Meanwhile, SHE was huge herself! I'm feeling a little discouraged :(

Don't let her get you down. You are doing the right thing and her response is probably due more to her own insecurity than anything to do with you. You know there are always people who try to keep you down and out with them, it makes them feel better. One of my best friends who is very heavy said she didn't know if she could hang out with me anymore after I became "skinny" I know it was just her fear talking but it does hurt.

You're with us and we are making positive steps to a healthier life!

Making my hospital list of items to bring on Monday 12/16….

I have had recommendations for the following:

1) Your own pillow - also heard this helps cushion the seat belt against your tummy on the way home

2) Tooth paste/brush

3) hair brush/comb

4) Night gown - some say yes, some say no?

5) Robe - is it a good idea to bring a robe (I assume your butt hangs out otherwise when you are up walking)?

6) Slippers - are you in hospital socks and if so, are slippers needed? I have sock monkey slippers!

7) Someone mentioned a throw for comfort- don't they give you more blankets if you need them?

8) GasX strips - do they let you use these in the hospital?

10) Chap stick

11) Your own drinks - don't they give you sugar free drinks? How much are you drinking anyway?

12) Do they let you - or are you able to take a shower?

Would appreciate anyone else's perspective on what they brought or wish they had.

Getting excited to get this underway. Not sleeping that well, I keep waking up wondering how it will be. May be waking up from hunger though, LOL!

Making my hospital list of items to bring on Monday 12/16….

I have had recommendations for the following:

1) Your own pillow - also heard this helps cushion the seat belt against your tummy on the way home

2) Tooth paste/brush

3) hair brush/comb

4) Night gown - some say yes, some say no?

5) Robe - is it a good idea to bring a robe (I assume your butt hangs out otherwise when you are up walking)?

6) Slippers - are you in hospital socks and if so, are slippers needed? I have sock monkey slippers!

7) Someone mentioned a throw for comfort- don't they give you more blankets if you need them?

8) GasX strips - do they let you use these in the hospital?

10) Chap stick

11) Your own drinks - don't they give you sugar free drinks? How much are you drinking anyway?

12) Do they let you - or are you able to take a shower?

Would appreciate anyone else's perspective on what they brought or wish they had.

Getting excited to get this underway. Not sleeping that well, I keep waking up wondering how it will be. May be waking up from hunger though, LOL!

Hey, look up the title: "packing for the hosp?". There is a link to click which has pretty much everything u may need. Look it up, I did and was able to add a few things that id forgotten. Lmk if u can't find it so that I will make a list here. Gl:)

Just wanted to update you guys. I am 2 days post op and feeling pretty good. A little sore. . Feels like I did 100 sit ups. Not to bad. . I'm getting down as many liquids as I can. . All and all.. everything is good. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement!

Glad to hear your doing well. Keep us posted

Dec. 19th sleever :huh: Wondering if I can really do this.

Spent Thanksgiving with family constantly pushing food. Birthday dinner 2 days ago, so I finally started the "pre-op" diet.

I guess one week is better than nothing but I'm starting to see how much food controls my days!

Am I putting all my "eggs in one basket"? Umm - I love eggs... :D

So I just told someone about my surgery coming up on Monday and I got the rudest response which is making me really upset. They said, oh no that's terrible. You couldn't do it on your own? Meanwhile, SHE was huge herself! I'm feeling a little discouraged :(

Why are you letting someone who's in the same situation as you make you feel bad about your brave decision to do something about your health? I wouldn't give a second thought to whoever it was. You're not doing this for people. You're doing this for YOU!!!

I'm 1 night out. I know I'm getting stronger each minute but I had to have a hiatal hernia removed during my VSG so that is the most painful part. Trying hard to keep liquids down but it's hard

I should be home tomorrow morning God willing

Will fill you in on how I feel then but had no clue about the hernia - My surgeon was surprised too

I'm 1 night out. I know I'm getting stronger each minute but I had to have a hiatal hernia removed during my VSG so that is the most painful part. Trying hard to keep liquids down but it's hard

I should be home tomorrow morning God willing

Will fill you in on how I feel then but had no clue about the hernia - My surgeon was surprised too

Welcome to the losers bench and congrats. So sry to hear of the additional cutting that u had to have done. It's amazn how a lot of people have to have one repaired during this surgery, hmmm. My surgeon mentioned it to me today as a possibility. In any case, take it easy, don't rush home if u don't have too and God bless ur recovery. Thx for checking in :)

I keep reading about an abdominal binder being used after surgery. Any feedback on this from those who are post-op? Or have any of your surgeons/nurses said to expect this? It's a bit of a new idea to me so I'm trying to wrap my head around what to expect. Thanks!

I think I would've asked her "so how's THAT working for you?"! B)

Thank you to all of you for your support.... I guess I need to develop a thicker skin about this... Just wish people weren't so ignorant and thoughtless. Thanks again everyone!! 3 days to go!!

I keep reading about an abdominal binder being used after surgery. Any feedback on this from those who are post-op? Or have any of your surgeons/nurses said to expect this? It's a bit of a new idea to me so I'm trying to wrap my head around what to expect. Thanks!

Im due for surgery on the 16th. I asked my doctor about it because I saw a few comments about it. He said its not going to hold you in like people think because your insides are still going tomove around. Most doctors don't automatically give you one but they are available upon request. Have you asked your doctor about it. I had a friend who liked the binder and also one who said it was uncomfortable and not worth it.

December 19th in Fort Worth, Texas!

I'm 1 night out. I know I'm getting stronger each minute but I had to have a hiatal hernia removed during my VSG so that is the most painful part. Trying hard to keep liquids down but it's hard <br> I should be home tomorrow morning God willing <br><br> Will fill you in on how I feel then but had no clue about the hernia - My surgeon was surprised too

I also had a hiatal hernia removed as well as some scar tissue on my liver. My surgeon explained that the hiatal hernia is rather common with these surgeries. My surgery was 12/2 and I'm still pretty sore. I've tried to go without any pain medication but it's pretty unbearable. Good luck with your recovery. I highly recommend walking as much as possible (I did laps around the kitchen/living room.) I was finally able to sleep in a bed three days after surgery for a few hours at a time. You're in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!!!