Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Hello All....

My name is Belinda and I started this process in March 2013. Just got my call on Friday and my surgery date is December 26th at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda Maryland. Couldn't ask for a better Christmas gift and way to start out a new year.

I'm currently 5'2" weighing 205 lbs

I have High BP, diabetes, sleep apnea, high triglycerides and hope the surgery will resolve these issues.

Hi all! I am brand spanking new to this website. It's pretty cool! I am having VSG on December 28th. I am super excited, and to say I'm nervous would be an under statement! I am 32, 353lbs. And 5ft 8. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis pretty bad. I am nervous about my RA acting up during recovery. I also have a 5 year old little girl that I am wondering how to explain my trip to the hospital to. Any suggestions or advice for me? Any tips or tricks on the 2 weeks liquid diet? I am getting a vitamix for Christmas, and I am excited to use it! Thanks guys!

Welcome to the group! I'm on day 12 of the liquid diet and I think the biggest tip is your mindset. I'm a rule follower so for me, there was no option to eat off my plan. Every day I tell myself "it is what it is" and just chug along. I wanted a crumb of a cookie one day and even picked it up thinking, it's just a crumb. But then I thought, it's just a crumb! It's not going to satisfy anything or help in any way, so I didn't have it. Drink lots of Water when you get real hungry!

That's all I've got! Hope it helps!

Hi all! I am brand spanking new to this website. It's pretty cool! I am having VSG on December 28th. I am super excited, and to say I'm nervous would be an under statement! I am 32, 353lbs. And 5ft 8. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis pretty bad. I am nervous about my RA acting up during recovery. I also have a 5 year old little girl that I am wondering how to explain my trip to the hospital to. Any suggestions or advice for me? Any tips or tricks on the 2 weeks liquid diet? I am getting a vitamix for Christmas, and I am excited to use it! Thanks guys!

I've spoken to a couple of people about post-op pain from RA. Their statement was the pain was little to none for a couple of months afterward. Maybe the immune system is busy with the incisions and healing the stomach instead of attacking your joints. I have psoriatic arthritis and stopped talking my meds today. I'm one week out. The first three days of the pre-op diet really sucks. Now it's ok and I can handle it.

Hello Hello!

Welcome to you, so glad you found us :)

My only trick during Pre-Op is to keep telling yourself, you will get through this!!!!!!!

Hello All....

My name is Belinda and I started this process in March 2013. Just got my call on Friday and my surgery date is December 26th at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda Maryland. Couldn't ask for a better Christmas gift and way to start out a new year.

I'm currently 5'2" weighing 205 lbs

I have High BP, diabetes, sleep apnea, high triglycerides and hope the surgery will resolve these issues.

Hello and Welcome!!

A very Merry Christmas to you, what a wonderful way to start out the new year :).

I think you will be pleasantly suprised at how much your BP, Diabetes, etc, will change with the sleeve!

So today I got my time for surgery on Friday which is 7:30 AM. This was great however then they told me that I had to go to liquid for the next 48 hours. I have been on the Optifast diet which has shakes, Protein Bars and Soups for 5 servings a day so the thought of just Soup and shakes sort of sucks. I know I can do this but it still sucks because when I saw the Dr. yesterday I asked and he said just keep doing what you have been doing. Craziness LOL. Can't wait for Friday to start a new journey in my life and get rid of the BAND that I still have.

After an initial denial this morning, I FINALLY got insurance approval this afternoon. Surgery date is next Wed., December 18th! I only have to do 5 days liquid diet with last day Clear Liquids. So relieved to FINALLY know that this is really going to happen.

My information was submitted to insurance on November 25. I just called and they told me I was approved and a letter would be sent to me. Turns out, it has been approved since December 2nd. I guess they were waiting for me to follow up before sending a letter. Looks like we are good to go for the 23rd!!!!! No pre-op diet.

Got my final medical clearance today, and I'm good to go. Feeling much better about everything. Bases are loaded... batter is up, ready for a home run! Woot! Oh and off topic for those still on pre-op diet, I have a tip for fighting the urge to eat: rub a bunch of Vapo-Rub or Mentholatun under your nose! My husband just HAD to cook dinner for himself last night, and it smelled so good it was driving me mad (he kept apologizing lol). I went to the bathroom then the idea sparked. It surely blocked all the good smells! Haha it works :) Best of luck to everyone having their day today!!

I'm getting vapo rub! That's an awesome tip! Thanks!

Hi all my surgery date is December 26 I am NOT new to the website , I had the lap band for 18 months and then had to get it removed due to a hiatal hernia! Even though this will be my 3rd surgery getting first getting my lab in and then getting the lap band removed and now getting the sleeve it doesn't get any easier excited but nervous

I pray that today's sleevers are recovering well n that evrythng was textbook! Let us know how u all are doing soon:)

As for tomorrows group, many many prayers for a restful night and a successful surgery and recovery! Congrats and can't wait to join my brothers n sisters on the road to a healthier n happier US!! GOD BLESS ALL OF U n gn:)

Soooo nervous!! My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow dec 12!!!!! I'm on my ONE day liquid diet today and so far so good -- I went out for a nice dinner last night with my BFF who will be in the hospital to support me tomorrow (she's a registered nurse yay!!!) My period is due today and nervous about the cramping and heaving bleeding for the next few days of recovery ... I'll just stay calm and hope I don't need anti anxiety meds I wish all dec 11&12-ers well!! Peace and blessings to everyone in recovery and with upcoming VSGs!!!! Gotta clean and run some errands before my "big" day - lol I'm 31 -- currently around 237 pounds, 5'7" (after losing a good 22 pounds on my own since October 2013) Hoping to maintain a sensible weight range for my frame of 160-170 after VSG although healthy/normal BMI range for me suggests 138-160 (lol)

You'll do great! I'll be sending a special prayer for you all!

Let's hear it for the Dec 12 group!!! Hope you all have a smooth and easy recovery! Looking forward to hearing from you all when you are able to check in!

• Dec 12 kellymoon
  • Dec 12 honeylove
  • Dec 12 beansmomma
  • Dec 12 jamalyn
  • Dec 12 Kornrockur

Did anyone else get really bad headaches on their pre-op diet? I started on Monday and have had really bad headaches everyday... So bad that I had to take ibuprofen. I won't take any ibuprofen after tomorrow because I technically am not required to start my pre-op till Friday, but wanted to kind of ease myself into it and am glad I have... Days one and two were pretty hard, and now on day three, I'm not even hungry! The hardest part for me is getting under 40g of carbs per day... I never realized how many carbs were in everything!!! The "sugar-free" items still tend to have carbs, so it's pretty much just room for three Protein Shakes a day and a ton of Water for me...

just letting everyone who's fresh out know... i'm a dec 3rd sleever and today i FINALLY feel human! i was finally able to walk more than 5 mins without horrible pain in my right side! i even weaned off the dilaudid and valium pills and now just taking tylenol. I had a few breakdowns in the past week but i can definitely feel my body healing, and you will too!! hang in there everyone!