Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

I am thinking of looking into those Protein Shots but I need to find a good easily absorbed and digestible one like the 100% whey isolate. Has anyone had any experience with those? I was thinking a could drink that since it is significantly less to consume then the 8 oz shake they want me to drink.

My surgeon insisted I drink the New Whey Liquid Protein the day before surgery and then the first week after. They also gave it to me the day after surgery in the hospital. The grape flavor was tolerable but it's definitely no treat! Try using half of the bottle and diluting it with Water and then drink the rest a few hours later.

Good luck!!!

Got mine the 3rd. Went great. Sore but not to bad. Not been hungry. Really don't have a chance I'm constantly sipping something. But but after 3 days (once the gas and bowels started moving lol) I am down a lot I think my scale lies. Lol sw 268 cw 255 we will see but if it's right I'm gonna do a dance! I'm happy either way it goes!

Hello everybody,

I had my pre-op appointment yesterday. I had to have fasting blood work, an EKG and a chest X-ray. I've lost 10.5 pounds since I started my pre-op diet early on November 7th. My official start date for my pre-op was the day before Thanksgiving. My surgeon has said he thinks I'll do well with the surgery and I should be able to loose 100 pounds. He said if I loose 100 pounds that will take 500 pounds off my knees. They are both shot and need to be replaced. I have a herniated disc and slipped disc in my lumbar spine. This is due to structural issues. My back is literally as crooked as a politician.

I am having a lot more pain since I had to discontinue my NSAIDS on 11/27. The prescription Tylenol plus 5 mg opiate ingredient I got from my orthopedic doc takes the edge off but doesn't eliminate the pain. I've been taking Bromelain on the recomendation of my chiropractor. He said it's an enzyme which has natural anti-inflamatory properties. It's also used to help digest high Protein foods. I can't say with certainty if it's helping my knees and back, but I'm willing to try it while I can't take my NSAIDs.

Good luck to everyone with your surgeries. I can't wait to join the "looser's bench".

Got mine the 3rd. Went great. Sore but not to bad. Not been hungry. Really don't have a chance I'm constantly sipping something. But but after 3 days (once the gas and bowels started moving lol) I am down a lot I think my scale lies. Lol sw 268 cw 255 we will see but if it's right I'm gonna do a dance! I'm happy either way it goes!

Congrats Tashaaaaa!!!! I think, to my knowledge, that ur the first to post a loss??? Like I said, I'm not sure but either way, yippppiiiieee, I'm dancn for u too:))

Congrats Tashaaaaa!!!! I think, to my knowledge, that ur the first to post a loss since surgery??? Like I said, I'm not sure but either way, yippppiiiieee, I'm dancn for u too:))

Have you mentioned the Bromelain to your surgeon's office? I had my big preop class yesterday and we were warned about herbal medicines and to make sure they were cleared.

Hello December Sleevers..

I'm finally checking in. I've been really just chillin and relaxin. All is well. Surgery went well with no issues at all. Had a few gas pains, but I was up and walking around the nurses station just a few hours after surgery. Both my night nurse and day nurse had the sleeve done, so it was nice to have knowledgeable caretakers. They told me, the more I walked the better I'd feel and guaranteed I would leave the hospital feeling much better and without gas pains. It was true. Gas dissipated rapidly.

I haven't really needed the pain meds at all. A bit sore at first but even that is subsiding. I had a bit of an issue on Wednesday keeping my fluids down but that has passed too and now I'm doing well with it and getting in my Protein too. Mostly, shakes, cream of chicken Soup (strained) and Vitamin Water. The hardest part so far is pacing myself with the water because I'm so thirsty and I want to chug it.

I haven't been on the scale yet, don't plan to get on one until next Thursday at my 1st post-op appt. I hope everyone did well on their surgeries this week, and good luck to those with upcoming dates. It truly was a very easy process. No drains. No nausea. No major pain.

Edited by Jerzygurl

I know most if not all people here agree with the sentiment that anything with collagen Protein is not good. I have to disagree, having extensive experience with a protein deficient family member who was hospitalized for over a year. Nothing that the hospital gave him to increase his protein levels worked. Beneprotein, Juven, etc. I took it upon myself to bring in some Protein Shots. Like mentioned in the quote below, we needed the most concentrated bang of protein per volume. I started with Sunkist Protein shots, also switching up between Proasis, Profect, New whey, and Dymatize liquid Aminos. Within 6 months, patient's pre-albumin levels rose from severely deficient numbers (3-5) to staying stead around 28-30 (normal) upon release from the hospital. Not to mention that wound healing increased exponentially during the time of supplementation. The NP's and doctors asked me what I was giving him. They were pretty impressed and in fact almost banned me from giving supplements because they weren't on the "approved meds list" - more likely because they weren't happy that they couldn't solve the protein deficiency themselves ;)

Now I'm not a nutritionist by any means, but I've seen proof that protein shots DO WORK (in myself as well when I had a recent minor surgery). So my point is, do not disregard any sort of concentrated liquid protein just because there is hydrolyzed collagen in it. As long as the product contains sufficient aminos, it is a good protein, IMO.

New Whey is a good one. Dymatize Elite shots are excellent as well and have no mention of collagen (just whey/casein). Dymatize Liquid Aminos taste amazing and have 25g protein in 50ml. Definitely a good protein bang in small volume.

Another mention - Cytosport whey isolate drinks. Comparable to Isopure Zero Carb but taste WAY better and cost less. 32g whey isolate per 16oz bottle.

I start my LRD tomorrow. Game on... I am definitely using all the above mentioned - now and after surgery as well. Just my 2 cents and hope this helps!

I am thinking of looking into those protein shots but I need to find a good easily absorbed and digestible one like the 100% whey isolate. Has anyone had any experience with those? I was thinking a could drink that since it is significantly less to consume then the 8 oz shake they want me to drink.

My surgeon insisted I drink the New Whey Liquid Protein the day before surgery and then the first week after. They also gave it to me the day after surgery in the hospital. The grape flavor was tolerable but it's definitely no treat! Try using half of the bottle and diluting it with Water and then drink the rest a few hours later.

Good luck!!!

• Dec 02 Krysta03
  • Dec 02 gaslimgal
  • Dec 02 jess9395
  • Dec 02 Annadette
  • Dec 02 sookiee
  • Dec 02 Nurse_Bonnie
  • Dec 02 doopa
  • Dec 02 Jerzygurl
  • Dec 02 LittleLou
  • Dec 02 Alysha23
  • Dec 02 Onedaycloser
  • Dec 02 Mskrys
  • Dec 02 Saresy
  • Dec 02 blueslp
  • Dec 02 MASSGUY
  • Dec 02 missmee
  • Dec 02 xmarycontraryx
  • Dec 03 azjanie
  • Dec 03 Tasha420
  • Dec 03 SouthernCharm
  • Dec 03 redilla42
  • Dec 03 skinnynewbecky2014
  • Dec 03 Sinderelly
  • Dec 03 missmee
  • Dec 03 Browneyedgurl
  • Dec 03 Jill105
  • Dec 03 Sleever1203
  • Dec 03 VSG AJH
  • Dec 03 linda305
  • Dec 03 bflyeffect17
  • Dec 03 and then...
  • Dec 03 Kelawyb
  • Dec 03 ChangingMichelle
  • Dec 03 MS IB
  • Dec 03 LuminousLife
  • Dec 03 linda305
  • Dec 03 MissKoKoKiss
  • Dec 04 L-in-NJ
  • Dec 04 Healthbound
  • Dec 04 MissKatt
  • Dec 04 caligirl3
  • Dec 04 tmstaves
  • Dec 04 Cakencream
  • Dec 05 Blondie
  • Dec 05 Lioness813
  • Dec 05 jenRRT
  • Dec 05 brennalynn84
  • Dec 05 SkinnyShanny
  • Dec 05 Vstears
  • Dec 05 HCPST
  • Dec 05 Racha80
  • Dec 05 HealthyAnnie
  • Dec 06 kyholder
  • Dec 06 harleychic
  • Dec 06 MythunderAz
  • Dec 08 skinnyme2
  • Dec 09 De-jo
  • Dec 09 AshleyMidwife
  • Dec 09 Sweettart702
  • Dec 09 MShell
  • Dec 09 Carlotta
  • Dec 09 vbishop
  • Dec 09 Care1175
  • Dec 09 Idlewood4
  • Dec 09 MtAirygirl
  • Dec 09 Boomersmomma
  • Dec 09 doflicker
  • Dec 09 emma313823
  • Dec 09 Ms.Yvette
  • Dec 09 TonyaMac
  • Dec 10 hopecomeswithtime
  • Dec 10 Andrew0929
  • Dec 10 Chefcoll
  • Dec 10 Coachdk
  • Dec 10 Smilingirl
  • Dec 10 sandisleeve
  • Dec 10 tiffanylovesthebeach
  • Dec 10 kerd
  • Dec 11 liciamarie
  • Dec 11 KaminaBlue
  • Dec 11 Only1likeme
  • Dec 11 soul2bleed
  • Dec 11 Volfan
  • Dec 11 dencob1
  • Dec 11 MnWin
  • Dec 11 Scraglycat
  • Dec 11 kadeetaylor
  • Dec 11 KatSeattle61
  • Dec 11 DeniseC
  • Dec 11 Katcloudshepherd
  • Dec 11 Cwatters1
  • Dec 11 luckyyou0521
  • Dec 11 bmm35
  • Dec 11 ataylo24
  • Dec 12 amills
  • Dec 12 kellymoon
  • Dec 12 honeylove
  • Dec 12 beansmomma
  • Dec 12 jamalyn
  • Dec 12 Kornrockur
  • Dec 13 Mommie4
  • Dec 13 amduc (and husband!)
  • Dec 13 Under1star
  • Dec 13 AtlantaRed
  • Dec 13 crodrigu73
  • Dec 13 Bremartus
  • Dec 14 Sleevin It
  • Dec 16 slvrsax
  • Dec 16 elhudge
  • Dec 16 Mel1071
  • Dec 16 MGR1852
  • Dec 16 tami j
  • Dec 16 Redwillow13
  • Dec 16 Whittywoman86
  • Dec 16 sknyinside
  • Dec 16 soccerdad
  • Dec 16 TBP
  • Dec 16 brightlikeadiamond
  • Dec 16 Candlyand86
  • Dec 16 love to be at goal
  • Dec 16 Mainexplorer
  • Dec 16 laurivgs
  • Dec 16 Tourist55
  • Dec 16 sleeve4ever
  • Dec 16 SoPeachy28
  • Dec 16 mscognac504
  • Dec 16 mikeetobe
  • Dec 16 cabstewart
  • Dec 17 Shelly70
  • Dec 17 Serenah
  • Dec 17 ginnie290
  • Dec 17 kat1548
  • Dec 17 birdbutch
  • Dec 17 princesstami
  • Dec 17 Clexie
  • Dec 17 HarlemLoser
  • Dec 17 overdue
  • Dec 17 Soonergirl101
  • Dec 17 Baeball Mom
  • Dec 17 QueenCityGal
  • Dec 17 Ken
  • Dec 17 Magtart
  • Dec 17 browneyedwoman
  • Dec 17 HealthierKee
  • Dec 17 dreamscometrue
  • Dec 17 kerroney
  • Dec 18 Nona337am
  • Dec 18 gemgirl
  • Dec 18 mija1980
  • Dec 18 Teachamy
  • Dec 18 Simpley_ke
  • Dec 18 kls3214
  • Dec 18 morret14
  • Dec 18 teekay8887
  • Dec 18 kuey
  • Dec 18 jnimons
  • Dec 18 Debzdays
  • Dec 19 Carol Quabeck Boyer
  • Dec 20 myvsglife
  • Dec 20 Kindle
  • Dec 20 Sns513
  • Dec 20 barefeet
  • Dec 20 jakecal413@
  • Dec 23 VLBrand6809
  • Dec 23 ipso_fatso
  • Dec 23 Tarheel79
  • Dec 23 MamaSpike
  • Dec 23 Thick'n'Thin
  • Dec 23 macman
  • Dec 24 bearman99
  • Dec 26 ReEstDec2013
  • Dec 26 teambarbie
  • Dec 26 Nutchy75
  • Dec 27 Carmen1963
  • Dec 27 Lioness813
  • Dec 27 kchula99
  • Dec 28 1newday2
  • Dec 30 elsnanny
  • Dec 30 DeezJeanz
  • Dec 30 lashacarpenter
  • Dec 30 kan75251
  • Dec 30 AngiD
  • Dec 30 Mbindra
  • Dec 30 jennybgenius
  • Dec 30 donaboss

No date yet:

• HoustonTexanFan
  • SueRN
  • NewAshes
  • MonisNatural
  • Besleeve It
  • georgiabelle
  • Zoumommy
  • Lizadaze
  • patbarry

We're getting more pounds logged for the pounds lost log - we're up to 3867 pounds! We're only 1133 pounds away from 5000 pounds!

If you want to join the fun, jump over to the thread: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/288367-december-2013-sleever-pounds-lost-log/ and subscribe to that thread, and send me your goal pounds lost, and we'll get you down on the list!

Hope to see you there!

Getting even closer to the 5000 pound mark - we're up to 4410 pounds! Jump on over and join us if you would like to participate!

Question for you all....

What are you taking in your hospital bag? This may have already been posted, but I am getting ready to pack and not sure what I should take.

I know that hospitals are all different in what they allow you to bring, but just a good basic listing would be super helpful...

Thank you all in advance!

Question for you all....

What are you taking in your hospital bag? This may have already been posted, but I am getting ready to pack and not sure what I should take.

I know that hospitals are all different in what they allow you to bring, but just a good basic listing would be super helpful...

PJ's

Gas x

Slippers

Sports bra

Chap stick

Phone charger

Comfy going home clothes

Pillow for the ride ..

Already have my bag packed and ready lol

Hello December Sleevers..

I'm finally checking in. I've been really just chillin and relaxin. All is well. Surgery went well with no issues at all. Had a few gas pains, but I was up and walking around the nurses station just a few hours after surgery. Both my night nurse and day nurse had the sleeve done, so it was nice to have knowledgeable caretakers. They told me, the more I walked the better I'd feel and guaranteed I would leave the hospital feeling much better and without gas pains. It was true. Gas dissipated rapidly.

I haven't really needed the pain meds at all. A bit sore at first but even that is subsiding. I had a bit of an issue on Wednesday keeping my fluids down but that has passed too and now I'm doing well with it and getting in my Protein too. Mostly, shakes, cream of chicken Soup (strained) and Vitamin Water. The hardest part so far is pacing myself with the water because I'm so thirsty and I want to chug it.

I haven't been on the scale yet, don't plan to get on one until next Thursday at my 1st post-op appt. I hope everyone did well on their surgeries this week, and good luck to those with upcoming dates. It truly was a very easy process. No drains. No nausea. No major pain.

so happy for you! glad to hear the good news!

GasX, pillow because I'm staying overnight and I'm particular, cell phone charger, chapstick, and extension cord.

PJ's

Gas x

Slippers

Sports bra

Chap stick

Phone charger

Comfy going home clothes

Pillow for the ride ..

Already have my bag packed and ready lol

Only add is maybe tom's or other pull on's for your walking.. I find it difficult to walk in my slippers, and do not want to have to tie tennis shoes

also toothbrush and toothpaste

if you have long hair a hair tie or braid hair prior to surgery to not worry about it.