Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

I finished the class and I'm at the hospital waiting for preop. I did not use their shakes. I tried others. I really like the Unjury chocolate. Very excited!

Ok how was the class? I have some of the chocolate Unjury at home. I'm going to use that instead. I'm super excited and nervous too! How is your pre op diet going??

The class was good. Basically two parts, the nutritionist and then the office manager. They both touched on the same things. We had 4 in our group and there were 2 sleevers, 1 bypasser and 1 bander so they had to cover info for all 3 surgeries. We got handouts. I didn't purchase the "kit" with the Protein stuff and Vitamins and shaker bottle. They went over the stages, vitamins, exercise.

Then when that was done, one at a time we went to speak with Dr. Johnson one more time before surgery!

My preop is going pretty well. My days 1-4 were very easy. Today I had more of an issue (however, any second now it will be that time of the month so I think that is playing a role) but I have not cheated at all. My diet consists of 3 shakes, 2 unsweetened applesauces and a cup of chicken broth. Along with Water.

Looking forward to going through this with you!

Hello everyone. I was sleeved yesterday and wanted to thank everyone for the thoughts and prayers. I am still in the hospital, I just did my swallow study they said they didn't see and thing alarming. I am waiting on my doctor to read the results so I can start Clear Liquids. Those moistened cotton swab things are just not doing the trick.

I am in a lot of pain, which stinks. I had a hiatal hernia that the doc discovered and repaired during surgery. My pain is not a the incision sites it I above it on the right hand side. It is so painful tears come to my eyes when ever I have to sit or stand. I am staying another night due to the pain. This might be a little *** TMI so here is your chance to skip....okay last call......I am having a terrible time urinating it I like a 30-45 minute affair of staining and pushing down for a few drops at a time the doc said its a because of the morphine end TMI***

So long story short I am staying an extra night due to the extreme pain I am dealing with

I am thinking and praying for everyone getting sleeved today as well as those who have already been sleeved

I am staying another night too. I want to make sure my pain is manageable on po meds. My right side hurts the most too. Doc sats its where they pull the stomach out and there are some internal stitching. The nurse told me most people stay 2 nights its rare to go home after one day.

On a funny note, anyone do anything crazy on versed before the surgery? i apparently held my hands up and screamed "wooo im on a rollercoaster!!" while being wheeled to or. I also told my sister i thought i was drunk. Lol! anyone else?

It's interesting because the people at my surgical group all look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'll need to stay ONE night! They said NO ONE ever stays overnight. I had spoken with the surgeon and told him I had issues with pain and pain meds not working and so he said he would do mine at the hospital and keep me overnight. When they called to schedule my surgery, I told her I was supposed to stay at the hospital overnight and she said that never happens. I was worried but when I saw the surgeon for the last time today, he confirmed that he was keeping me overnight to make sure my pain was controlled.

They automatically send you home with roxicet but he told me he'd send me home with Dilaudid, which also caused the staff to look at me weird. Apparently at this place, I'm the oddball out!

So I had my last nutrition/postop class today. It was good. There were 4 of us with 2 sleevers, 1 bander and 1 bypasser!

My postop diet will be 1 week full liquids. Supposed to drink a shake 2 ounces every 15 minutes and finish in the hour.

Weeks 2, 3 and 4 are soft foods with 3 meals and 2 Snacks with one meal being a shake. They're recommending 1 shake a day forever just to make sure to get the Protein in.

Week 5 and beyond, cleared to try absolutely anything! Sounds scary. I will take my time on that one!

Because of my history of a kidney stone, my fluids goal should be 80 ounces to 100 ounces a day (that is anything without caffeine equals a "fluid").

In all stages, the protein goal is more than 60 grams of protein and between 600 and 800 calories.

They gave us all a prescription for a new? antinausea medicine called Emend. It is very expensive and they said insurance wouldn't cover it. They said it was hard to find and $75 for 1 pill. However, my Walmart said they could have it by tomorrow and it was $90! They said it was worth the money. You take it before surgery (not after you are already nauseated) and apparently it drastically cuts down the nausea from anesthesia afterwards. She said even a staff member recently had the sleeve and she had no problem with nausea at all! It wasn't required but as I have a history of bad recoveries, I'm getting it!

Also due to my pain issues, he is giving me Dilaudid, so I'm glad to have a doctor actually listen!

Hello everyone. I was sleeved yesterday and wanted to thank everyone for the thoughts and prayers. I am still in the hospital, I just did my swallow study they said they didn't see and thing alarming. I am waiting on my doctor to read the results so I can start clear liquids. Those moistened cotton swab things are just not doing the trick.

I am in a lot of pain, which stinks. I had a hiatal hernia that the doc discovered and repaired during surgery. My pain is not a the incision sites it I above it on the right hand side. It is so painful tears come to my eyes when ever I have to sit or stand. I am staying another night due to the pain. This might be a little *** TMI so here is your chance to skip....okay last call......I am having a terrible time urinating it I like a 30-45 minute affair of staining and pushing down for a few drops at a time the doc said its a because of the morphine end TMI***

So long story short I am staying an extra night due to the extreme pain I am dealing with

I am thinking and praying for everyone getting sleeved today as well as those who have already been sleeved

I am staying another night too. I want to make sure my pain is manageable on po meds. My right side hurts the most too. Doc sats its where they pull the stomach out and there are some internal stitching. The nurse told me most people stay 2 nights its rare to go home after one day.

On a funny note, anyone do anything crazy on versed before the surgery? i apparently held my hands up and screamed "wooo im on a rollercoaster!!" while being wheeled to or. I also told my sister i thought i was drunk. Lol! anyone else?

It's interesting because the people at my surgical group all look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'll need to stay ONE night! They said NO ONE ever stays overnight. I had spoken with the surgeon and told him I had issues with pain and pain meds not working and so he said he would do mine at the hospital and keep me overnight. When they called to schedule my surgery, I told her I was supposed to stay at the hospital overnight and she said that never happens. I was worried but when I saw the surgeon for the last time today, he confirmed that he was keeping me overnight to make sure my pain was controlled.

They automatically send you home with roxicet but he told me he'd send me home with Dilaudid, which also caused the staff to look at me weird. Apparently at this place, I'm the oddball out!

My doc said for sure one night might go home th next but previous patients have talked to of his all said he ends up keeping them 2 nights. Mine oe sent leave a drain in and that's why he likes his patients to stay one if not two nights. He told me one be but to pack for two.

It's nice though my hospital - university of Missouri - has a whole bariatric floor. With nurses trained in bariatric surgery etc.

Mine doc does not leave a drain in I meant. Damn autocorrect!

I'm looking forward to that too. The hospital I'm using also has a bariatric unit.

My surgeon doesn't use drains either. They said his complication rate was 0.1%. They said that the very few leaks that they've had (and they were pin hole leaks that basically heal themselves while they watch you closely) were patients who were smokers.

My surgery got moved. It's only two days later but it's still frustrating. Oh well. Can't wait for next Thursday to be here already. Gonna pack my bag tomorrow. Looking forward to this new chapter to start.

So sorry your date got moved! That must really be frustrating! I'm glad it's only by 2 days, though! You'll go in right before me!

so had my Bariatric University today..and boy oh boy - surgeon requires 3 weeks of liquids, 4th week you can have puree'd. So one week pre-op liquids, so total of four weeks on liquids only.I was talking with the Nurse after class about different things and the post op stages - mentioned the forum and how there are so many different plans surgeons have for patients, she asked me what were some of them...and I said I really do not remember but that it seems most get to start puree on their 3rd week. Maybe I am mis-remembering?I spoke with a couple of other december sleevers and invited them here and on the FB page. Hope to see them soon :)Good luck to the sleevers due tomorrow, thursday and friday!

Hi Tami, who was ur doctor? My diet sounds the same. Days 1-3 clear liquid days 3-21 full liquids then a week or 2 of soft then onto normal eating

The commitment and professionalism shown by the staff is commendable. The staff and the surgeons are also very caring and friendly. I went there for a gastric sleeve surgery two months back. The post-surgery care was also incredible. And they continue to support me even now.

Hey hospital! Did u use Dr Bertha at the Florham Park surgical center!

So I had my last nutrition/postop class today. It was good. There were 4 of us with 2 sleevers, 1 bander and 1 bypasser! My postop diet will be 1 week full liquids. Supposed to drink a shake 2 ounces every 15 minutes and finish in the hour. Weeks 2, 3 and 4 are soft foods with 3 meals and 2 Snacks with one meal being a shake. They're recommending 1 shake a day forever just to make sure to get the Protein in. Week 5 and beyond, cleared to try absolutely anything! Sounds scary. I will take my time on that one! Because of my history of a kidney stone, my fluids goal should be 80 ounces to 100 ounces a day (that is anything without caffeine equals a "fluid"). In all stages, the Protein goal is more than 60 grams of protein and between 600 and 800 calories. They gave us all a prescription for a new? antinausea medicine called Emend. It is very expensive and they said insurance wouldn't cover it. They said it was hard to find and $75 for 1 pill. However, my Walmart said they could have it by tomorrow and it was $90! They said it was worth the money. You take it before surgery (not after you are already nauseated) and apparently it drastically cuts down the nausea from anesthesia afterwards. She said even a staff member recently had the sleeve and she had no problem with nausea at all! It wasn't required but as I have a history of bad recoveries, I'm getting it! Also due to my pain issues, he is giving me Dilaudid, so I'm glad to have a doctor actually listen!

It's good to see all of what you guys went over. Especially since we use the same office, so I'll be ready when I go in next Wednesday. I'm also nervous about pain as well and nausea as well! I hate being nauseous, I'll definitely be getting the anti-nausea medication. I also don't have a high tolerance for pain so I will need something to keep the pain to a minimum. I'll need to make sure that I mention that to him as well.

Thanks for sharing this info with us. I love this forum! It's so informative and helpful. I love hearing about everyone's different experiences. It really helps a lot.

I just got approved today! My date is December 16th. So excited... and nervous

Whoo hoo!!! Another 12/16 sleever!!!! Congrats on your approval!!!!

Alright, here are tomorrow's sleevers! I wish you all best and a speedy recovery! looking forward to hearing from you all! 44.Dec 05 Blondie 45.Dec 05 Lioness813 46.Dec 05 jenRRT 47.Dec 05 brennalynn84 48.Dec 05 SkinnyShanny 49.Dec 05 Vstears 50.Dec 05 HCPST 51.Dec 05 Racha80 52.Dec 05 HealthyAnnie

Good luck to all today's sleevers!!!! I'm keeping you in my prayers that you all have nothing but success! Can't wait to hear how it went! Your on your way to the losers bench, Woo hoo!!!!!!!!

Wishing all of the 12/5 sleevers the very best. I'm praying for you all and hope for a very smooth surgery, and a speedy recovery!

I finished the class and I'm at the hospital waiting for preop. I did not use their shakes. I tried others. I really like the unjury chocolate. Very excited!

Ok how was the class? I have some of the chocolate Unjury at home. I'm going to use that instead. I'm super excited and nervous too! How is your pre op diet going??

The class was good. Basically two parts, the nutritionist and then the office manager. They both touched on the same things. We had 4 in our group and there were 2 sleevers, 1 bypasser and 1 bander so they had to cover info for all 3 surgeries. We got handouts. I didn't purchase the "kit" with the Protein stuff and Vitamins and shaker bottle. They went over the stages, Vitamins, exercise.

Then when that was done, one at a time we went to speak with Dr. Johnson one more time before surgery!

My preop is going pretty well. My days 1-4 were very easy. Today I had more of an issue (however, any second now it will be that time of the month so I think that is playing a role) but I have not cheated at all. My diet consists of 3 shakes, 2 unsweetened applesauces and a cup of chicken broth. Along with Water.

Looking forward to going through this with you!

I'm looking forward to receiving all this information. Especially sitting down and talking with Dr. Johnson again. Now this Preop diet is a different story!!! I do great at work, but by the time I leave I'm super hungry and I feel a bit like my blood sugar is low(I'm also Pre-diabetic). So I have cheated my first 2 days nothing big or heavy though. The first day I had a slice of grilled chicken breast and the second day I had a few pieces if pineapple when I was making my shake(even though I'm not too sure that eating pineapple that's going in my Protein shake is exactly cheating). Today is day 3 and I've already had my light yogurt. My diet consist of a shake for lunch and one for dinner, SF chocolate pudding for my first snack, a light yogurt for Breakfast, SF applesauce for my second snack. I switch my Snacks and do a SF Popsicle or Jello. Throughout the day I drink Water and 1 small Gatorade. I'm praying that that today is better I'm going to add a cup of chicken broth. You seem very content on your Preop diet!