Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

OMG! 16 Dec.2nd Sleevers!!! My hats off to all my December 2nd sisters/brothers who have made it this far on their pre-op diet. To everyone else who is with me that starts tomorrow. We can't let them or ourselves down. I've been a mad women (in my mind) since Friday. But I won my weekend battle. Instead of going all out for my "last supper" I restrained. Friday I did a shake for Breakfast, a small salad for lunch and a very light dinner. Saturday I had two shakes, a hand full of chips (I couldn't eat just one), a small slice of birthday cake, and two bites of a pork chop. Today I did my two shakes, a cup of broth (from my sons Soup at lunch, a piece of boneless chicken thigh and a spoon of broccoli. Oh let me not forget the half of cupcake. This has not been easy. Everything in me wanted to go to the Texas Roadhouse. I'm already having crazy headaches. The real challenge is yet to come. My son and I are flying out in the morning to D.C. I have to survive a week of my family drinking and eating. This is going to be a true test of how much I want to change my life.

Bring it on!!!

Good luck to all and keep pushing ahead!

Man, this 6th day on the liquid diet is tough. I made it through but I've been thinking about food ALL DAY!

I ended up cleaning out my closet and going to Goodwill. I've lost almost 27 lbs pre-op now and I'm getting rid of all the "fat clothes". It kept my mind off eating and was somewhat liberating.

How am I going to do this another week with Thanksgiving??? Ugh!

Tomorrow is my crazy long day of VSG fun! Upper GI at 9 at one hospital, Pre-op class at 11 at my surgeon's office, and then I head to the hospital where I'm having surgery. Not sure how long everything is supposed to last but I suspect it's going to be a long day. The one good thing is even though I have to go to 3 different places, they are all on the same campus and within walking distance from each other.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow but part of me is also like, what if they find something wrong? But I guess that's why they're doing it 3 weeks before surgery - so if something like h. pylori shows up I have time to treat it.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad that I don't have to do a liquid diet for my surgery. They told me to just fast from midnight the night before. Hmmm. Should I do my own liquid diet?

JUST WANTED TO WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! gl to all on the preop liquid during this time but keep your minds on why ur doing this and what will b the prize afterwards:). Take care all n chat w you after Thanksgiving, b safe n God Bless You All!! Dee Dee.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad that I don't have to do a liquid diet for my surgery. They told me to just fast from midnight the night before. Hmmm. Should I do my own liquid diet?

At first, I was told I wouldn't have a preop. I was going to do a self-imposed 3 day liquid diet before the surgery. Now, I have to do the 2 week. I was upset at first, but I've wrapped my brain around it and I'm ready for it.

At first, I was told I wouldn't have a preop. I was going to do a self-imposed 3 day liquid diet before the surgery. Now, I have to do the 2 week. I was upset at first, but I've wrapped my brain around it and I'm ready for it.

Maybe I should do the 3 day diet too. My sister had the same doctor and she didn't have to do it either.

Ken

welcome to the december sleevers! AtlantaRed or Mnwin will add you to the growing list! Glad to see another local Fort Worth sleever!

Tami, you and I are both having our sleeves on December 16th! Where are you located? Did I interpret the previous post correctly that both you and Ken are in Ft. Worth? I'm in Waco. Where are you having you surgery done?

So happy you are joining us in December, I just know we are all going to help each other through this! I started out by only telling my immediate family. As I got closer to the date, I told my co-workers. I work as a nurse and heavily rely on my coworkers during the day to support me, physically, and emotionally as we help our patients. I decided because we see so much of each other, in and out of work, I would share it with them. They have been so supportive, even to the point where they are going to join me in my liquid lunch this week to show their support for me!! I love these girls and couldn't imaging not having their support. That being said, I am telling no one else. It is such a personal decision, and I don't want to deal with the comments, feelings, and what not of those who don't support me. I did tell one friend who absolutely does not support this, and sadly our friendship is fading fast. No one can tell you what to do as far as telling or not, it just has to feel right for you!!

I totally understand. I told a couple friends and they started crying!! then they spent the rest of the day trying to convince me that surgery is too extreme for my age (27). Its hard for outsiders to get how truly disabling it is to be overweight. I tried to explain how the risks of me living with a bmi of 58 is soo much more dangerous than surgery. Good luck to you and your friend, im sure they will be more supportive when they see how it has changed your life for the better!

I'm not ashamed of the surgery. I just don't want to hear any negative comments or horror stories, and it just isn't anyone's business what I'm doing to my own body.

I also feel like some people think WLS is the easy way out or a quick fix when you could just tough it out. Sort of like how people are so judgmental about giving medication to kids with ADHD. It's not anyone's business but the family and the doctor. People can take their opinions and shove 'em. :)

i agree, and im not proud of this but i used to say the same thing. I was on a 900cal diet for a year without any surgery and i said that about a coworker. Today, she has kept the weight off and i gained 100lbs. Now im in a different mindset and can see how much more permanent this can be for me. Im soo excited and thrilled to get this experience to start over!

MnWin - what is "Playaway"?

Hi Chefcoll

Here is the link to "Playaway". This was offered by my surgeon's office (and recommended at the psych eval as well) for those who either have anxiety, or think they might have anxiety. Apparently, from what I was told on Friday, you start listening to it once or twice a day prior to your surgery, and then they even apparently have you listening to it during the surgery as well.

http://healthcare.playaway.com/

I have listened to it quite a bit since Friday...it's not too bad if you are in to guided imagery..and I sure do sleep well when I have it on. :)

• Dec 02 Krysta03
  • Dec 02 gaslimgal
  • Dec 02 jess9395
  • Dec 02 Annadette
  • Dec 02 sookiee
  • Dec 02 Nurse_Bonnie
  • Dec 02 doopa
  • Dec 02 Jerzygurl
  • Dec 02 LittleLou
  • Dec 02 Alysha23
  • Dec 02 Onedaycloser
  • Dec 02 Mskrys