Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

Is anybody not really nervous at all and just ready to be on the loser bench with the first few weeks behind us? Yeah you could die from this surgery but you can die from any surgery. I can die in my car later today you just never know. At least we're trying to change and that's all that matters. Sorry just been thinking about this a lot lately. Don't want to bum anyone out. Everyone just asks If I'm nervous and I always say no I'm ready to wake up and ask the nurse if I'm skinny yet! :)

I am absolutely beyond excited about the surgery! I was asked at least 4 or 5 separate times if I was excited for the surgery at my final pre-op appointment this past Friday, and they could clearly see that excitement was running through my veins. This has been a battle I have been fighting for my entire life, and 17 days I start to have the upper hand in the fight....FINALLY!

I won't deny that I might have some nerves on that day, but I am super prepared, all of my lists are in place, all of my pre-op stuff is ready, post op stuff is almost ready, I have researched until the cows come home, and have spoken directly to several folks who have already been through the surgery, and I feel like I am as prepared as I will be. I am also using the guided imagery "Playaway" that my surgeon's office recommended, and it's been really helpful so far too.

LET'S DO IT!!! :lol:

LET'S DO IT!!! :lol:

INDEED!

I am currently on day 4 of pro-op diet, and I had a really rough night last night. I wanted to eat something so badly. Not just anything though I wanted a cheeseburger so bad. I obsessed about it all afternoon and evening :/ I made myself crazy trying to rationalize it to my husband. He finally threw his hands up and said do what you want. I am happy to report I did not cheat. I went to bed hungry with a rumbling tummy but I did not act on my impulse to cheat even though it consumed most of my day yesterday. I decided my new mantra is *this is not forever, I will be able to eat again just not now* rinse and repeat over and over. I still want a damn cheeseburger but I am more rational about it today. I incorporated beef broth in my diet yesterday. I wonder if that is what sparked the crazy craving. I am not a sweets person really. If you were to put chocolate cake in front of me a plate of Texas cheese fries I would choose the fries. Every. Single. Time. I was hoping by doing beef broth it would help balance all of the sweet overload from the shakes. I also have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners so the past 4 days have been riddled with headaches and Migraines :( 8 more days of shakes then on to clear liquid the day before surgery. Yes I am counting every day, hour, and second. I keep telling myself this time next year it will be a distant memory. Just make it to this time next year. * I just realized I am not sure if this post is appropriate for this thread. If it is not I apologize and please let me know where this...uhh.rant/victory/update would be more appropriate and I will move it if needed. Thanks!

I start tomorrow and I just know I will have these cravings. My sister and I bet on how many times I break down and cry over food I can't have. Just in fun, not to make light of how difficult this will be! I also keep trying to rationalize the "it's only temporary, it's only temporary" as well. I am nervous about this, and I know that's just silly! Looking forward to surgery, I hope your pre op gets easier for you!!

I just got my surgery date of Dec 18! I started 10/28 with psych eval, surgeon 10/31, nut 11/7. Feel like this is meant to be! Anyone else not really saying anything to most people? I just don't want to hear the negative nellies!

So happy you are joining us in December, I just know we are all going to help each other through this! I started out by only telling my immediate family. As I got closer to the date, I told my co-workers. I work as a nurse and heavily rely on my coworkers during the day to support me, physically, and emotionally as we help our patients. I decided because we see so much of each other, in and out of work, I would share it with them. They have been so supportive, even to the point where they are going to join me in my liquid lunch this week to show their support for me!! I love these girls and couldn't imaging not having their support. That being said, I am telling no one else. It is such a personal decision, and I don't want to deal with the comments, feelings, and what not of those who don't support me. I did tell one friend who absolutely does not support this, and sadly our friendship is fading fast. No one can tell you what to do as far as telling or not, it just has to feel right for you!!

Hello This is my first post. I started my program in September, jumped through all the hoops and lost some weight; 20lbs. , scheduled for Gastric Sleeve Surgery on December 3rd! Feeling excited, nervous, afraid and emotional all at once. Is this normal?

You are so normal you have no idea!!! Feeling the exact same way. Just lean on those here, we are all here to support and lift each other up. So happy to get to do this journey with you :)

My nervousness comes and goes. This morning I woke up with a stomach full of butterflies for some reason. I can't believe this is actually happening. I am trying to prepare as much as I can -Clean house, freezer meals for family, deciding what to take with me to the hospital. I have 5 weeks until surgery so I imagine I will have many more mornings like this!.

I have been having moments of nervousness as well. Waking up, various moments during the day. Just did all my shopping for pre op, have to get a few things for after surgery and then I am set. I am excited on how much money I will save the first few months on food. I didn't realize how much I spent on food!!

MnWin - what is "Playaway"?

I start tomorrow and I just know I will have these cravings. My sister and I bet on how many times I break down and cry over food I can't have. Just in fun, not to make light of how difficult this will be! I also keep trying to rationalize the "it's only temporary, it's only temporary" as well. I am nervous about this, and I know that's just silly! Looking forward to surgery, I hope your pre op gets easier for you!!

I keep telling my husband how excited I am for the surgery. I told him yesterday, "Remind me how excited I was when I start crying after the surgery." lol

That being said, I am telling no one else. It is such a personal decision, and I don't want to deal with the comments, feelings, and what not of those who don't support me. I did tell one friend who absolutely does not support this, and sadly our friendship is fading fast. No one can tell you what to do as far as telling or not, it just has to feel right for you!!

I've been the same way. I really don't care if most people know. However, I'm not telling most of my family and a handful of people I USED to be friends with.

I disagree with folks who say, "I'm telling everyone, I'm not ashamed of it." I don't feel like we are either ashamed or not ashamed. I feel like there are so many different factors.

Most of my family haven't been very interested in my life over the years so they don't know what I have or haven't done to try to be healthy. I really feel like they don't deserve to know what's going on in my life since they haven't been interested so far!

They people I have told have been very excited and very supportive, which has been very nice!

Dec 2nd sleever here!! So excited! The pre-op diet is just now starting to bug me. If only I could have one last cheeseburger! Lol

I'm not telling people ahead of time and I'm not ashamed of the surgery. My reason for not telling people is, quite frankly, I don't feel like hearing everyone's horror stories of knowing someone who knew someone who had WLS who had all of these horrible complications. Don't need to hear that right now. Plus, I'm not one to tell people a lot about my personal (especially medical) life anyway.

After the surgery I plan on being much more open about things, but not beforehand.

Well, hello everyone. Our group is so big, it's all so exciting! So I had a doctors appointment on the 21st and he is having me do a 4 week liquid diet, so on December 2 I start my preop diet of Protein Shakes, fat free broth, sf Jello and popsicles and calorie free Clear Liquids.< /p>

post-179159-0-47417900-1385344148_thumb.png

I went to my 1st support group, meet someone from this group, we have the same date and doctor, it's a crazy small world.

I'm not ashamed of the surgery. I just don't want to hear any negative comments or horror stories, and it just isn't anyone's business what I'm doing to my own body.

I also feel like some people think WLS is the easy way out or a quick fix when you could just tough it out. Sort of like how people are so judgmental about giving medication to kids with ADHD. It's not anyone's business but the family and the doctor. People can take their opinions and shove 'em. :)

After the surgery I plan on being much more open about things, but not beforehand.

Mel I feel the same exact way- after I imagine I will be more open about things as well. For now, I am not telling to many folks.