Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

I have just arrived home from my final pre-op appointment. It went really well. This was a 'teaching' appointment - hour 1 was with the RN who kind of goes over all of the final details, and hour 2 is with the dietician. Everything looks great, and we're ready for the next 19 days to go by quickly.

One thing the nurse said to me several times was do NOT cheat on the liquid diet pre-op, regardless of how bad you want to. She indicated that the surgeon's can tell, and will close you up if your liver hasn't shrunk.

I'm sure much of that was to send a message, but since she mentioned it several times I thought I would pass it along.

I'm rooting for each and every one of you!

MnWin-

Glad your appointment went well! :)

I'm sure that you will follow your doctor's orders but, I believe it's a bunch of bull and just your doctor's preference. There are some of us (me included) who do not have to do a liquid pre-op diet.

I'm sure that you will follow your doctor's orders but, I believe it's a bunch of bull and just your doctor's preference. There are some of us (me included) who do not have to do a liquid pre-op diet.

I got that feeling from my doctor as well. Now, understand, my doctor is, how to I say it? A little on the very confident side (and has the results to back it up). Anyway, when I met with him at the initial consult I asked him two questions that had popped into my head after reading the forum. One was about the pre-op diet. I assumed it would be for 2 weeks. He said, nah, 2 days beforehand as a bowel prep will be fine. I was like, oh, but I keep seeing everyone post about having to shrink their liver and he stopped me and laughed and said something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing here) hey, you're hiring a pro and quite frankly, 2 weeks isn't going to do all that much for the liver.

I also asked him about what I could do about the shoulder/gas pain after surgery. He was almost offended by this lol He said um, I am not leaving you full of gas to the point you're going to feel pain afterwards. If a surgeon does that to his patients he's just being lazy and not taking the time to get it out.

I've talked to a number of his patients and they've confirmed their gas pain was minimal to non-existent. There are 3 doctors in my doc's office and they all take turn doing the info seminars. A lot of people are turned off by my doc and his very straight to the point manner and say after seeing him at the seminar they don't want him. I like his cockiness and his no BS attitude. The best compliment I heard about him was from some nurses saying he's the doc you want to trust with your life. He may piss you off personally, but as a medical professional he's the best out there.

I have just arrived home from my final pre-op appointment. It went really well. This was a 'teaching' appointment - hour 1 was with the RN who kind of goes over all of the final details, and hour 2 is with the dietician. Everything looks great, and we're ready for the next 19 days to go by quickly.

One thing the nurse said to me several times was do NOT cheat on the liquid diet pre-op, regardless of how bad you want to. She indicated that the surgeon's can tell, and will close you up if your liver hasn't shrunk.

I'm sure much of that was to send a message, but since she mentioned it several times I thought I would pass it along.

I'm rooting for each and every one of you!

My surgeon's office bases it on BMI over 50 and/or body shape. So if someone carries therir weight more in their upper abdomen and chest, then they require the 2 week diet. BMI over 50, 2 week diet.

I got that feeling from my doctor as well. Now, understand, my doctor is, how to I say it? A little on the very confident side (and has the results to back it up). Anyway, when I met with him at the initial consult I asked him two questions that had popped into my head after reading the forum. One was about the pre-op diet. I assumed it would be for 2 weeks. He said, nah, 2 days beforehand as a bowel prep will be fine. I was like, oh, but I keep seeing everyone post about having to shrink their liver and he stopped me and laughed and said something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing here) hey, you're hiring a pro and quite frankly, 2 weeks isn't going to do all that much for the liver.

I also asked him about what I could do about the shoulder/gas pain after surgery. He was almost offended by this lol He said um, I am not leaving you full of gas to the point you're going to feel pain afterwards. If a surgeon does that to his patients he's just being lazy and not taking the time to get it out.

I've talked to a number of his patients and they've confirmed their gas pain was minimal to non-existent. There are 3 doctors in my doc's office and they all take turn doing the info seminars. A lot of people are turned off by my doc and his very straight to the point manner and say after seeing him at the seminar they don't want him. I like his cockiness and his no BS attitude. The best compliment I heard about him was from some nurses saying he's the doc you want to trust with your life. He may piss you off personally, but as a medical professional he's the best out there.

I had no gas pain at all after my gallbladder surgery. My sister had hers out with a different surgeon and had terrible gas pain. I think it really does depend on the surgeon.

I have just arrived home from my final pre-op appointment. It went really well. This was a 'teaching' appointment - hour 1 was with the RN who kind of goes over all of the final details, and hour 2 is with the dietician. Everything looks great, and we're ready for the next 19 days to go by quickly. One thing the nurse said to me several times was do NOT cheat on the liquid diet pre-op, regardless of how bad you want to. She indicated that the surgeon's can tell, and will close you up if your liver hasn't shrunk. I'm sure much of that was to send a message, but since she mentioned it several times I thought I would pass it along. I'm rooting for each and every one of you!

Every doctor is different. Yes, the longer you do the liquid diet the more your liver may shrink but I guess some doctors are ok with different times. I've heard some say to do 1 week, 2 weeks, some more, some have said it's ok if you fall off the wagon one day etc... My doctor only requires 1 day of liquids the day before. Obviously my liver isn't shrinking in one day. I think they also put you on a liquid diet to help get you used to our new way of eating. Seeing all the different rules from doctors, I wouldn't worry if you weren't perfect for every single day. But that's just me personally. I think everyone should follow their doctors orders.

Welcome, sleeve4ever! I, too, am having my sleeve surgery on December 16th. Dr. Almanza is doing mine. I'm told to do my liquid diet for 5 days; however, others who have had the same doctor are told 1 week - 2 weeks. I think it all depends on your BMI. I'm just glad mine isn't as long as I thought it would be!

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

Welcome, sleeve4ever! I, too, am having my sleeve surgery on December 16th. Dr. Almanza is doing mine. I'm told to do my liquid diet for 5 days; however, others who have had the same doctor are told 1 week - 2 weeks. I think it all depends on your BMI. I'm just glad mine isn't as long as I thought it would be!

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

I have a 3 week plan which starts with one week of 1200 calorie diet and the two weeks of 800 calorie then surgery. So I think it has to do with different Dr. I went for an EGD today everything was good.

My surgeon's office bases it on BMI over 50 and/or body shape. So if someone carries therir weight more in their upper abdomen and chest, then they require the 2 week diet. BMI over 50, 2 week diet.

My BMI was over 50 and my surgeon said I'm carrying it the worst place. I think he was unhappy about my being at exactly the weight as my first visit on my surgery scheduling appointment, so he whacked me with a 3-week pre-op diet. I actually lost 12 pounds during my nut diet but gained it back ...

Gosh I wish I had your doctor! My current boss is like that, you either love him or hate him for his frankness (and potty mouth haha). You're on his team or your not, and those who are not miss the opportunity to work with a smart businessman. Needless to say, I'm on his team and have followed him to three different companies over the years.

Anyway back on topic, and regarding the pre-op diet. My diet will be 10 days. I have heard stories from my center about people getting opened then closed up because their liver is too big. Is 10 days REALLY enough to fully de-fat/detox a liver that has had 40+ years of abuse? I'm not so sure of that. I think it will help some, but I think this is also sort of a "scared straight" approach to staying focused both pre- and post-op.

So many docs are different from what I've gotten out of reading so many stories. From 1 month or more pre-op diets to only 1 or 2 days... I have high anxiety about my phase because I don't have much "head hunger" but I get really physically stomach-hurt hungry, like shaky dizzy can't concentrate hungry if I don't eat (I don't have diabetes or sugar problems). And the real kicker will be having to deal with work stress while on the 10 day thing. I'm already preparing by doing a bunch of things now and do not want to fail at this! :wacko: I'm really looking forward to not having that horrible big stomach growling hunger after surgery. I hope it really helps with this.

got that feeling from my doctor as well. Now, understand, my doctor is, how to I say it? A little on the very confident side (and has the results to back it up). Anyway, when I met with him at the initial consult I asked him two questions that had popped into my head after reading the forum. One was about the pre-op diet. I assumed it would be for 2 weeks. He said, nah, 2 days beforehand as a bowel prep will be fine. I was like, oh, but I keep seeing everyone post about having to shrink their liver and he stopped me and laughed and said something to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing here) hey, you're hiring a pro and quite frankly, 2 weeks isn't going to do all that much for the liver.

You are so right - I don't have to like him - I do need to trust that he can do the job and do it right. My mom recently saw a doctor who personally I wouldn't want to spend 5 minutes alone with him in a room but he is the best in the region at what he does so of that's who I want her to see. I do like my surgeon as well so that is just a bonus!

You are so right - I don't have to like him - I do need to trust that he can do the job and do it right. My mom recently saw a doctor who personally I wouldn't want to spend 5 minutes alone with him in a room but he is the best in the region at what he does so of that's who I want her to see. I do like my surgeon as well so that is just a bonus!

Of course I would want my mom to see him - too stressed at them moment - keep leaving words out!

I don't have an exact date yet, hoping for the 1st or 2nd week of december.

Surgeon decided i don't need an EGD, yay!!

Need all the pre-op stuff and whatnot, plus my last NUT visit on November 1st. I can barely stand the waiting. I am READY.

how do i get on this forum?

All doctors are indeed different. But what's important is that we follow their individual requirements, so that we can get where we need and want to be with our lives via a more healthy weight and lifestyle. I'm just glad we're all on the same journey, even though there are different vehicles and drivers getting us to our destination.

A little over a week for me, I've been cleaning my house since 6am this morning. I guess nervous energy, with a thousand different thoughts running through my head, mostly regarding my battle with cancer over the years. For instance, will I still be able to get my quarterly CT without any complication from the contrast I have to drink...doc said should be no problem, but still I worry about that..because it is what keeps track of the cancer cells floating about in my body. I'm not allowing it to consume me though just little pattering feet that run across my brain from time to time. Nothing is stopping me from getting this surgery, unless the Lord sees fit to call me home to the range between now and 7:30 a.m.,Dec 2

This is a very good group. I feel like I'm holding hands with all of you...

Blessings and Love to each and everyone of you...can't wait to see our success as individuals and as a group.

Happy Saturday..and Happy Pre-op diet success, be it at the beginning, in the middle, at the end, or on its way.

Hi everyone, I was told to join this thread but I have no idea how.

Anyways, my surgery is scheduled for December 30. Way to start the new year right? My new year resolution is about to come true after 6yrs woohoo. Anyways, I am a little worried because my doctor said in in border line since my BMI is 37. He said my primary doctor has to really write a good letter. Supposedly he already faxed the letter to my surgeons office. Next week I have 4 appointments. My nutritionist appointment, pre surgery class, MRA on Friday (my cardiologist requested since I had heart surgery few years ago) she does not support me on this surgery what's so ever. She's only my doctor not my mom. She better clear me on December 11 lol. And I also have my psych evaluation on Friday. Hopefully after thanksgiving weekend they will submit my paper work to the insurance (BCBS-nj) any one has that insurance? What was the wait? Do they easily deny people? I can't wait until December 30. I who it was tomorrow lol.

My goodness! Look at all these December folks! Awesome! My surgery date is 12/3/13 and I am on the 5th day of my pre-op liquid diet. I look forward to chatting with you all and going through this journey with you.