Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2013 Sleevers Come In!

After reading all of the post about unsupportive friends and family members, I have to say, I am so fortunate. I have many coworkers who have had this done and they are all extremely supportive. My family knows the struggles I have had over the past 25 years with my weight. They have seen me fighting and fighting and it has been a losing battle.

LOL I am at other end of the spectrum. I have told everybody I am having it done! If has inspired so many people to start the process of research and looking into it for themselves. If anyone has not been supportive, they have kept it to themselves. Of course I have had concerns friends who although they don't want me to have the surgery, a very supportive of my decision. They understand my reasons for it.

If there are haters they are flying under my radar and that's Judy fine with me :)

After reading all of the post about unsupportive friends and family members, I have to say, I am so fortunate. I have many coworkers who have had this done and they are all extremely supportive. My family knows the struggles I have had over the past 25 years with my weight. They have seen me fighting and fighting and it has been a losing battle.

LOL I am at other end of the spectrum. I have told everybody I am having it done! If has inspired so many people to start the process of research and looking into it for themselves. If anyone has not been supportive, they have kept it to themselves. Of course I have had concerns friends who although they don't want me to have the surgery, a very supportive of my decision. They understand my reasons for it.

If there are haters they are flying under my radar and that's Judy fine with me :)

Hey December Sleevers! I just received my approval last week and my surgery date is December 16th!!!! My process went faster than expected. It took about two months to get all my requirements done: Family doctor approval, Nutritionist appointment, and one psych eval. Have BCBS of IL. Im 27yrs old, 5'8 @274lbs. Ive always had a problem with my weight so im super excited for my day to come. Have you guys been apprehensive about telling people? I've had to stop since I keep getting all negative feedback.

I was apprehensive at first to tell people, but am starting to loose some of that. I've told my immediate family...and will have to come clean to the rest on Thanksgiving when they realize that I'm just having a Protein shake! Lol! I'll tell others after my surgery, if they ask.

I don't worry so much about people focusing on my weight, when I tell them I'm having weight loss surgery. They have eyes...there's no hiding it! I only worry about people thinking I'm taking the easy way out? Why??? Because people often see those of us who are overweight as lazy. An unfortunate and inaccurate stereotype! My attitude has always been "I'm going to eat right, exercise, and work hard, because that's the only way to succeed!" But we all fall into ruts here and there. And while this is required effort to get to my goal...I realized that I've been overweight almost my entire life, and I wasn't getting anywhere on Will power alone. I truly needed some extra help.

After watching my sister begin her VSG journey, and just starting my own...I've realized that this isn't an easy way out, at all!! It's no doubt one of the hardest things I'll ever have to do! And damn it, I'm proud of myself for that! This isn't a quick fix diet! There aren't any do-overs! And it's a commitment I'm making for the rest of my life! We are all making that commitment! And THAT...is pretty bad a$$!

I invite all they nay-sayers, water-cooler gossipers, and negative Nellies out there, to take a walk in our shoes! While they may never understand the struggle that has brought us all here today...I hope that they can respect our courage, bravery, guts, and gumption! You all are some of the bravest people I know!

I have my date! December 23--- Christmas in the hospital? Seems fitting since I see this whole journey as a gift to myself. I feel like I'm off the sidelines now that there are so many things to do toward a specific date. Yahoo!

Welcome to the 12-23 club. At least we should be getting out on Christmas day :)

I am so excited! My preop starts right after tgiving. I was somewhat sad that I wouldn't get to have a peppermint milkshake before preop because I hadn't seen any advertisements. BUT today, I get an email that they are now available! Woo hoo! I will have one or 2 between this week and next. Will be so satisfying! I am savoring every last bite between now and then!

Welcome to our newest 'date-haver's'. I have added you to the list on the previous page.

What a great Christmas present ipso and Tarheel.

Big ups to all the holiday season sleevers!

Going through this whole process, makes one realize just how much society is food-focused. I finally told my best friend today about my date (she too is overweight and knew I was thinking about it but didn't take me serious) - all she said was "are you nuts? you're not going to be able to eat all the holiday goodies!"... and to that I said "hooray!" She just couldn't fathom the idea of giving up all the gorging on holiday food.< /p>

I know some people here will want to have a little binge before their surgery, have a last pigout on some favorite or no-no foods, etc. Me, I'm preparing now both mentally and physically by already cutting way back, eating right, and doing the high-protein thing (I've done this many times before on attempts to lose weight but always gained it back!). Knowing that I'm all in with an irreversible procedure now, easing into the pre-op liquid diet this way would be much more helpful than calorie cold-turkey I think.

How is everyone else tackling this?

I'm not going to miss the food fest. And, I'm looking forward to saving a ton of money at the supermarket going forward!

Happy Sleevemas to all the December folks!! :)

It is now hitting me that in two weeks I start this pre op diet ... OMG I want some good food , Umh thanksgiving isn't going to cut it !! I need like 3 or 4 more banana pudding milkshakes from cookout before then ... Oh Lord I'm getting scured

Surgery 2 weeks from today!!! I'm so nervous. I don't have to do the preop diet because I lost 15 lbs at my last visit. But to be honest is rather do it so I stay on track. I have only told my mom about the surgery and she is staying with me for 2 weeks. I'll tell everyone else when I start losing the weight. I haven't had a big veg out session but I have been eating some foods I know I'll miss every other day. Like today I had a slice of pizza and salad for lunch... When I really wanted 3 slices!!! Lol. Each person tackles the surgery in their own way. Let's not put each other down but instead lift each other up.

Wow 4 week pre op liquid diet. I thought 2 weeks was long. Hang in there though. Day by day step by step

Yes, one day at a time.. I will get to my destination... We can do this !!

Def a great idea and hopefully we can start a new blog titled something like "Post op Dec Losers, what was weighing u down?" Then we can brag about our weight losses and challenges:) can't wait to add to the loss pile:)..gl 2 us all and Happy Holidays to come and gl to those who have to do this during thanksgiving, we have ur backs if u need us but we know that u can do this, keep ur eyes on the prizes that we will gain bc of our decisions to have this surgery! Dee:)

I love the title deezjeanz!

Eye on the prize!

Def a great idea and hopefully we can start a new blog titled something like "Post op Dec Losers, what was weighing u down?" Then we can brag about our weight losses and challenges:) can't wait to add to the loss pile:)..gl 2 us all and Happy Holidays to come and gl to those who have to do this during thanksgiving, we have ur backs if u need us but we know that u can do this, keep ur eyes on the prizes that we will gain bc of our decisions to have this surgery! Dee:)

I love the title deezjeanz!

Eye on the prize!

My two week pre-op diet starts on Monday! I am from Jersey as well. My surgeon is Dr. Fetehia. I think he is in the same office as Dr. Forester. Nervous about the liquid diet but will do it. Only bad thing is I will only be on shakes for Thanksgiving and I haven't told my very judge mental in-laws about the surgery yet. So I plan on telling them that I do not want to hear anything negative. To keep their negativity to themselves!

Carrie