Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Pretty Irritated With Myself

Hi everyone!

I posted back in June I believe about wondering if only losing 50 pounds in 7 months was too little of a weight loss. Well, since then I have lost another 10 pounds. Just to fill you in, I was sleeved November 27, 2012. I am coming up on my year and feel that 60 pounds still isn't a huge weight loss. I have also hit a plateau for about a month or so now. I have seen so many other people get to their goals in a year or less and I still need to lose another 60 pounds in order to reach my goal. I will say that I have not been exercising or eating like I should, either. But, I will tell you why and I am not trying to make excuses. I work overseas for the military as a contractor and work 12+ hour days 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. It leaves very little time for me when I finally get home to fit in a workout, and I am so tired by the end of the day. Also, they have what they call Dfacs here or Chow halls that don't post nutrition facts and they don't allow you to measure your food, either. Am i just not using my tool properly? Or is it bigger personal issues that i am not dealing with properly? Should I just work out more and try to avoid most of the foods at these Chow halls? Which they don't have a lot to choose from. I tend to emotionally eat and I'm sure that's not helping either. I just want to know what I can do to start losing weight again. I really, really want to get to my goal. I'm just starting to feel like a failure more than anything, though and it has really been eating me up inside. :( Any and all help and support will be appreciated. I don't want to be the "one who failed". I am so fearful of that. Thank you all.

I am sure at the chow lines there are some reasonable choices...and you sound really smart..I bet you know what you can pick up to eat that would help you get to your goal....Now the issue is how you are eating!

Put your plate down in front of you and rotate it all around in a circle......This gives you a chance to pause and work out a plan of attack....After each small bite, put your fork down and chew, chew and chew...You can start to feel your sleeve filling up....I cup of food is about all most sleevers can handle. About half way through concentrate on your sleeve and how it feels.....most of the time as a few minutes pass, you will notice that you are not hungry anymore.....Your done...Leave the rest and go...

This works for me everyday.....hope it helps!

Well first off you are far from a failure. I understand that things aren't going how you were hoping they would. It does sound like you are a very busy person, and yes we should all be getting in some form of exercise, but the reality is.... 80% of this lifestyle change is going to be diet. I would suggest reviewing measurements, it is really really hard to measure by site but maybe if you carry even a 1/2 C measuring cup on you at all times. Once you get your food and sit down measure out the Protein and vegetables to whatever your portion is and throw everything else away, really focus on drinking your fluids, increase your fluids if you aren't getting enough. I eat every 2-3 hours, 5 times a day. I try to get a good 16oz of Water between meals. Avoid snacking and try to fit in exercise when you can. A 10-20 min video, take the stairs, park far away, walk around the building at break time. Try to stay active on this forum so when you start to slip you have people to go to for support.

We are here for you!

Do they allow you to order Protein Shakes and have them delivered? Sorry if that is a stupid question, I don't know the protocol. Do they have salad' s or veggie dishes you can eat? Maybe even cutting up chicken or fish and adding that to a salad? I know when your tired from working all day and night eating healthy is harder to concentrate on.

60 lbs is great!! I do sympathize with the long hours and stress part:). The only way I can avoid emotional eating is to plan my meals ahead-even if that means eating the same thing every day. Goo dlck!

I hope you don't think me unkind for anything that I am about to say. I am trying to help you to the very best extent that I possibly can.

I will say that I have not been exercising or eating like I should, either.

What do you expect will happen when you don't eat properly or exercise. Is what has happened anything other than what you would expect to happen. The sleeve is a tool. It is not a magic wand.

Am i just not using my tool properly?

I don't think you are using your tool properly. You say that you are not trying to make excuses, but you are. In your case you should be estimating your calories every day. If you don't know exactly the calories in a dish, go online and try to look up a food somewhat like that and make your best guess. If you don't know how much you are eating, go to one of the websites that teaches you to estimate quantities of food. Stuff like 1 oz is the size of a golf ball, 3 oz is a deck of cards, etc. If you have any desire to lose any more weight you must have some idea of how many calories you are getting in a day.

Or is it bigger personal issues that i am not dealing with properly?

I don't know you, so I can only gues that the answer to this is yes.

Should I just work out more and try to avoid most of the foods at these Chow halls?

You should avoid foods at the chow halls that won't help you meet your goals. Yes you should work out more if you can find the time. Because of your situation, I don't know if you have the time to do that or not.

I really, really want to get to my goal.

Life is sometimes like a fairy tale, but in this case you get one wish, not three. If this is really what you want, then you must start to behave like it is what you want. And you should eliminate behaviors that are not consistent with that goal.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that food is more important than exercise. You can always eat more calories than you can ever exercise away.

So my suggestion is that you think about what you really want. If you really want to lose more weight then you probably already know what to do. You just have to find a way to get yourself to do it.

I have been successful with sleeve but would struggle with your situation. can u choose clean/ low processed food? like fish or chicken wirh side of veggie or salad? skip Pasta, rice, casaeroles, stews and other unknowns? eggs for bfst and skip hotcakes and taters? no sandwhiches for lunch..just meat and cheese? have fruit, veggies Protein Drinks and beef Jerky for Snacks. No soda, beer, milk or juice.< /p>

You did not mention what you are drinking, be aware of drinking calories as well. As you stated this is a tool, and any tool used improperly will not work as it is intended. Seek professional help for food addiction issues if that seems to be a problem. Best wishes. You can do this.