Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?

What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?

• I look for any menu item with some sort of lean protein and plan to eat only the protein (for example, I only eat the turkey and leave the bun if I get a turkey burger).
    • I ask the server if I can have some grilled chicken and steamed vegetables.
    • I order whatever looks good and plan to just eat a couple of bites. You might as well take advantage of the restaurant’s good cooking!
    • I bring my own food so I can enjoy spending time with everyone else while they eat the restaurant’s food.
    • I don’t go to restaurants anymore. There’s nothing I can eat with my weight loss surgery.

Restaurants often serve high-calorie, high-carb, high-fat foods that fit into your weight loss surgery diet very well.

What do you do when you are figuring out what to order at a restaurant?

Mark your answer and share your own suggestions in the discussion below!

I am usually with the wife, so I have a bite or three of whatever she wants. Occasionally, I will order something, but never a sandwich as I try to stay away from breads now. Soups are a standby staple food for me. Early out, I would ask them to puree it for me, which was no problem. Fish is always a great option, though it doesn't go home in a doggie bag well.

chicken and veggies always work and warm up well the next day.

I wouldn't know, restaurants are somewhat banned in my household right now.

I usually check the appetizer selection for maybe some wings, at a mexican restaurant Ill have ceviche or fajitas, italian place Ill order some meatballs, I really havent found any restaurant that I wasnt able to find some kind of Protein. I especially like Dennys though because I can order 1 egg and a couple of turkey bacon strips, filling AND cheap lol. Ive never asked for any special preparation at a restaurant, not because I was afraid to, it just never occurred to me to do so.

I have asked for just a grilled chicken breast and they look at me like i am sick. Fast food do not knowm how to handel it when you order a sandwitch with out bread.< /p>

For chain restaurants, Outback, Cheddar's and Red Lobster let you order off the kids menu if you ask and all three have grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies on their menu. Red lobster also had broiled fish and Outback has steak medallions that are about 3 or 4 ounces. Other restaurants are the same, most of the time I just ask to talk to a manager when waiting for a table and explain I had surgery and will they allow kids menu or reduced size ordering. No one has turned me down yet :)

I ate at an upscale place in Vegas and my 3.5 oz of fish cost me 45 bucks it was delicious and really the right size but I laughed thinking a regular sized stomach would consider this an appetizer.

Grilled chicken or shrimp. something with lots of Protein in it.

The biggest reaction I get when I eat out is over the fact that I order, specifically, no drink. This simple request causes a great deal of confusion and even occasional concern (i.e. "Oh my! did your waitress neglect to get your drink?! Can't I get you something? Not even Water? ").

I usually check the appetizer selection for maybe some wings, at a mexican restaurant Ill have ceviche or fajitas, italian place Ill order some meatballs, I really havent found any restaurant that I wasnt able to find some kind of Protein. I especially like Dennys though because I can order 1 egg and a couple of turkey bacon strips, filling AND cheap lol. Ive never asked for any special preparation at a restaurant, not because I was afraid to, it just never occurred to me to do so.

Congrats....you are doing awesome...

I actually usually just eat off my husband's plate, LOL. Or me and my mom (a fellow sleever) share a meal.

I only eat out once per week. I usually go to a buffet restaurant where I have lots of healthy choices, like Golden Corral. I usually eat a little of the following: steak, cauliflower, brussell sprouts, salad and I allow myself a little not so healthy stuff - a little square of meatloaf, 1 chicken strip or 1 piece of fried fish.

I'm out to lunch/dinner at least once a week. I order grilled shrimp or chicken, or fish with fresh veggies. For fast food - Taco Bell's pintos and cheese or a chicken taco with no shell.