Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days and freaking out

I am new to this site and have my surgery scheduled for 10/16. I recently quit smoking (13 days cold turkey) and have been an emotional wreck ever since. My decision to have this surgery has been set in stone since the second I heard about it in May. But, now I find myself crying profusely and extremely anxious when I am alone. I have a feeling it's a combination of the no nicotine and my upcoming events. Is it normal to be on a pre op emotional roller coaster? Is this something I need to tell my surgeon about at my last pre op appointment?

Try sucking on cinnamon sticks for the oral needs. I quit cold turkey 90 days ago. Hang in there and just keep thinking about all the new things u will be doing after surgery

Of course you should tell the surgeon. Now go google "meditation" and listen to some calming music:) It's going to be okay.

It's perfectly normal. This is a lifetime commitment to change. Your chance to start over with your health and a huge step. I think it would be more odd if you weren't on edge after just quitting cold turkey so close to your surgery date. Just try and relax. You're as normal as can be.

I am currently finishing my Master’s in Psychology and I happen to have a focus on Addiction Counseling, I hope to easy your stresses by elaborating a bit about the metabolic relationship of nicotine within the blood. Once imbibed nicotine metabolizes to cotinine which is generally what is tested for in most lab tests. And I am sure you are aware the different tests of urine, blood, swab, and hair follicle. The body can detox from nicotine technically in 5 days with heavy Fluid flush and I high intake of Vitamin C. However, what is left is the mental/emotional attachment. The same receptors in the brain that function towards the reward center are now totally confused and are also depleting. The brain is now off balance and throwing dopamine at various levels causing emotional responses such as aggression or sadness. And some have even experienced flu like symptoms. A heavy smoker or a person that has smoked for a longer period of time will have more reward receptors to nicotine and therefore take a bit longer to adjust. But there is a bright ray of sunshine heading your way. You’re at day 13, and that my lady is a fantastic goal…one I am currently trying to reach myself (I smoke too). You should start to notice soon your taste buds will become more sensitive, your breathing has increased greatly, and your sense of smell is getting more sensitive by the minute. The average withdrawal symptom a person receives lasts technically 4 to 5 minutes and no longer, however with that information just know the more recent the quitting withdraw attacks can occur back to back. During this time I would suggest chewing peppermint gum or spearmint .Peppermint reacts to the same receptors in the brain as nicotine and the same flushes of withdrawal that occur in the tongue are masked by the peppermint gum. Not to mention this gives something for your mouth to do, creating a new habit.

As with any addiction the emotional attachment should be addressed and this would be the time to ask yourself why you are attracted to cigarettes? what do they provide? My self personally, they have always been there like an old friend. Through even stressful or happy event they were there. But they are also the ones that have brought a lot of stress to my life when I ran out..lol

I can tell you, you are the only one that can set the goal to truly quit. Your surgeon or family can tell you, you must quit getting the surgery. But if you are not the one to say enough is enough, then you will be right back to smoking soon after surgery.

I know you most likely know all the benefits and risks there is to this type of surgery and smoking. If you are a smoker, you have a 75% increased risk of blot clots, stroke, or cardiovascular troubles. This too is a life changing event and one that anyone who is a smoker and seeking bariatric surgery must come to grips with. You’re not alone, just reach out. If you feel like you are going to cheat, or the stress is getting too much hop on her and I will gladly help talk you down. Heck, you got a 13 day head start on me but I’ll be your quit buddy! I wish you all the best of luck and I know you have it in your to quit and have a successful surgery. :D

You're probably mourning the loss of cigarettes. For real. I quit smoking 7 mos and 4 days ago. I used Chantix. Chewed 850 packs of Dentyne fire gum. I mourned cigarettes because unlike any friends, cigarettes had been there for me every day for 20 years.

I had a cigarette the night before surgery... I had surgery and it's been exactly one week and I haven't had the urge to pick one up yet... Maybe it's the constant focus on something else or maybe I've just had enough... Who knows? But honestly I'm so concerned with getting in fluids and Protein and learning to listen to my body

Continuation...

... That I haven't wanted one!!! I also read the book easy way to stop smoking by Allan Carr, and maybe that's what finally did it I dunno but I'm ecstatic about it... I hope your emotions level out soon just think of how much better u will feel knowing you are doing absolutely everything you can to be the best you you can be!!! And u will save a fortune too on food and that terrible habit I hope I have kicked for good!!! Good luck with surgery and ride out these emotions it can definitely only get better!!!

Thank you all for your encouraging words, I was able to calm my butt down and focus. Now I'm officially on the road to surgery and so excited!

I just had my sleeve yesterday. Not one craving. You will be so happy and proud of urself for getting healthy

I am currently finishing my Master’s in Psychology and I happen to have a focus on Addiction Counseling' date=' I hope to easy your stresses by elaborating a bit about the metabolic relationship of nicotine within the blood. Once imbibed nicotine metabolizes to cotinine which is generally what is tested for in most lab tests. And I am sure you are aware the different tests of urine, blood, swab, and hair follicle. The body can detox from nicotine technically in 5 days with heavy Fluid flush and I high intake of Vitamin C. However, what is left is the mental/emotional attachment. The same receptors in the brain that function towards the reward center are now totally confused and are also depleting. The brain is now off balance and throwing dopamine at various levels causing emotional responses such as aggression or sadness. And some have even experienced flu like symptoms. A heavy smoker or a person that has smoked for a longer period of time will have more reward receptors to nicotine and therefore take a bit longer to adjust. But there is a bright ray of sunshine heading your way. You’re at day 13, and that my lady is a fantastic goal…one I am currently trying to reach myself (I smoke too). You should start to notice soon your taste buds will become more sensitive, your breathing has increased greatly, and your sense of smell is getting more sensitive by the minute. The average withdrawal symptom a person receives lasts technically 4 to 5 minutes and no longer, however with that information just know the more recent the quitting withdraw attacks can occur back to back. During this time I would suggest chewing peppermint gum or spearmint .Peppermint reacts to the same receptors in the brain as nicotine and the same flushes of withdrawal that occur in the tongue are masked by the peppermint gum. Not to mention this gives something for your mouth to do, creating a new habit.

As with any addiction the emotional attachment should be addressed and this would be the time to ask yourself why you are attracted to cigarettes? what do they provide? My self personally, they have always been there like an old friend. Through even stressful or happy event they were there. But they are also the ones that have brought a lot of stress to my life when I ran out..lol

I can tell you, you are the only one that can set the goal to truly quit. Your surgeon or family can tell you, you must quit getting the surgery. But if you are not the one to say enough is enough, then you will be right back to smoking soon after surgery.

I know you most likely know all the benefits and risks there is to this type of surgery and smoking. If you are a smoker, you have a 75% increased risk of blot clots, stroke, or cardiovascular troubles. This too is a life changing event and one that anyone who is a smoker and seeking bariatric surgery must come to grips with. You’re not alone, just reach out. If you feel like you are going to cheat, or the stress is getting too much hop on her and I will gladly help talk you down. Heck, you got a 13 day head start on me but I’ll be your quit buddy! I wish you all the best of luck and I know you have it in your to quit and have a successful surgery. :D[/quote']

I love the info you posted. I wish I could copy this to the note on my phone. I too am smoking, picked after 10years of being smoke free....ugh! (Watch my dear friend pass of pancreatic cancer, and prepared her body....too much for me and since I don't drink I picked up). So I'm on the same bandwagon and another 'quitting' buddy to the list.

I thought I posted, but it must not have gone through. Thank you all for the words of encouragement and support, it really helped!! I am now 12 days after surgery and 33 days smoke free, and feeling great!

EarthWormJenn

Thank you! I keep quitting...then I last 2 days...do it again. I'm lying to my family....they thnk ve quit. God help me this is HARD!