Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of Band to Sleeve Revision and have a question

Hi there

I was banded in August 2008 and lost 120lbs before getting pregnant in 2010. Since having my son in 2011 I have had any issues with acid reflux and not being able to get food down. I have had my bad filled/unfilled so many times and when it is empty no reflux issue but still food issues. Well finally a few weeks ago the surgeon has agreed to do the revision to sleeve if I want. The only thing that has be worried is he said my risk goes from less then 1% (never having WLS) to a 20% chance if leaking with a revision.

Soy question for those that have gone through this have you had any issues with leakage? If so would you still do the surgery if you had to all over again?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply and best if luck to all of you.

I think he may be overstating the risk. I had my band removed and was told there might be a little more scare tissue that would cause more soreness, but extra risk of leaking wasn't even discussed.

Ask him what he bases that % on.

My surgeon told me the risk of leaks and excess bleeding were about twice that ofa virgin sleever... but still in single digits. If 20% is HIS complication rate for revisions, I would look for a new surgeon.

I would ask how many revisions he has done. I really believe my success is at least partially due to a veryexperienced surgeon - he had done alot of revisions before me...

i was told the same thing as well by a few different doctors. one doctor told me he wouldnt even do it because of all the scar tissue he claims id have. I have had a band, a band revision because of a slip and then a band removal. I was also informed that I have staples left in my stomach from the band removal and depending on where they actaua that it might make it riskier for me as well because any time you staple over staples, its a greater cause for a leak. I havent had the surgery and this is something I've been tossing around for a year and a half. im just too afraid at this point.

I was a band to sleeve revision. (all in one surgery) and my surgeon never mentioned any increased complication rates. He did warn me that it was possible that I would wake up with no band, and not sleeved. If that was the case I could be sleeved in 3-6 months. I was fortunate that my band prolapse wasn't covered in scar tissue. I have had no issues and I am 5 months out today.

I had a revision in August, and I was very high risk cause my band was removed in February for being eroded, so I has alot of scar tissue and I never had a problem and feel great. What do it again in a minute.

Yikes! If my surgeon had said there was a 20% chance of a leak, I would not have done it. I spent the first few weeks post op revision surgery terrified of a leak. It was horrible and I am still struggling with fears about my altered stomach. I'm 7 weeks out.

My surgeons leak rate was 0.5% , he said it would be slightly higher with a revision. He did not have a lot of experience with revisions because the hospital just started doing them. I think I was his third band to sleeve. But he is head of bariatric surgery in a 5 star center of excellence, and everyone I spoke to said he is incredibly talented. He has an overwhelming amount of surgery experience, even if it's not in band to sleeve, I trusted that.

Good luck

I had my band out in April 2012 and was sleeved in January 2103. My surgeon would not do it all in one surgery because of the increased risk of a leak (the risk was NOT 20%...I don't think I would have ever done it if I had a 20% chance of getting a leak...). I have had no complications and am very happy with my decision. Do your homework. Good luck.

Hi. I just went from band to sleeve today! I had my band for 4 years and was going through the same thing. As far as pain, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Good luck!

I had my band out a year ago, healed very fast, and don't expect complications. Fingers crossed.

Wow. 20%. Thats pretty high. I also don't think I'd go with that surgeon. I've never heard of such a high rate of complication, whether it's a revision or not.

It took my dr an extra 30 mins to dig my band outa my stomach 3 mths ago. The recovery was harder than I imagined becuz of this fact. Had it all done in 1 surgery, however.

I would definitely investigate that complication rate. I've NEVER heard of such a high rate. It shouldn't be more than 2% (1% being someone who had never had wls before) and my drs rates are about 1/4 of that.

Good luck!

I'd say stop thinking about it and do it, but find a different doctor. If he's quoting you "20% chance of a leak" then he isn't that good. My doctor was completely confident, didn't mention any increased risk (but he did say it was extra work) and acted like it was no big deal. He did the operation and nailed it.

I was banded in 2008 with a different doctor. I spent 4 days in the hospital because of complications, could barely walk for a few more days when I finally went home, ended up with all kinds of problems (food getting stuck constantly, mainly), and lost less than 70lbs total. I started gaining weight back in less than a year.

I had the band to sleeve revision with the aforementioned doctor August 20, 2013. I was in the hospital for 2 days, had no trouble standing up and walking around, and overall had 1/100th of the recovery time than when I got the band. Between the pre-op diet and the surgery, I've lost over 80lbs already and the only difference I really have between pre-WLS life and now is I eat a whole lot less, and burp a whole lot more.

Do it!!

Thanks everyone. I've had to go thru pretty much 2 years if up and downs and fills and unfills before the surgeon would agree to the revision. My normal guy I see is a Physicians assistant he would have done it earlier but of course is no surgeon. With my insurance I only have this one place to go to. I am starting to think after talking to you all and my good friend that is a RN for a surgeon in FL I am going to go for. But will put it off till next year because I can't afford extra time off right now with a huge project I'm working in with work. I will be putting a call to my PA and surgeon to get more info in his stats.

Hi. I just went from band to sleeve today! I had my band for 4 years and was going through the same thing. As far as pain' date=' it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Good luck![/quote'] how are you doing a few days out?

I had the band done in 2006. I was sleeved on 9/11/2013. My surgeon did it all in one shot. He took out the band and sleeved me at the same time. He said it was difficult to remove the port but of course he got it. The surgery took 30 minutes longer because of this. Now as for the pain, OMG. I had an adverse reaction to the morphine (caused me to vomit). I stayed four days in the hospital due to the fact I was not using the bathroom on my own, throwing up,nausea and a low grade fever. I begged to go home once I was able to use the bathroom myself and I was walking ten mins a day two times a day. With that being said they sent me home with a firm dos and don'ts list and I promised my first born. They gave me pain killers for five days. After that OMG. I used children's liquid pain killer. Bottom line I was in pain for about three weeks. After the fourth week, I was able to get out of bed without much pain. All of the pain is and was by the port sight. Hope I helped. I'm feeling a lot better and I have no regrets just was sad of about two weeks because of the pain