Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A hair loss theory

I'm no expert, I'm only 6 months post-op, but I've been thinking about this whole hair loss ordeal that so many WLS people go through. Mine has been very minimal thus far, just a very small amount of extra shedding. This was a very big fear of mine in the beginning because my hair is rather fine to begin with.

Is it possible that a lot of people start losing their hair at the 3-6 month mark because that is when we stop drinking Protein shakes? I've never stopped and I wonder if that has helped. I faithfully take my Vitamins also. I don't take oral Biotin at all. I've been using Organix Shampoo with Biotin and collagen since early post-op.

Like I said, I'm no expert and my hair could starting falling out by the handfuls tomorrow!

I'm no expert, I'm only 6 months post-op, but I've been thinking about this whole hair loss ordeal that so many WLS people go through. Mine has been very minimal thus far, just a very small amount of extra shedding. This was a very big fear of mine in the beginning because my hair is rather fine to begin with.

Is it possible that a lot of people start losing their hair at the 3-6 month mark because that is when we stop drinking Protein shakes? I've never stopped and I wonder if that has helped. I faithfully take my Vitamins also. I don't take oral Biotin at all. I've been using Organix Shampoo with Biotin and collagen since early post-op.

Like I said, I'm no expert and my hair could starting falling out by the handfuls tomorrow!

I am the same way. I have continued to drink the Protein Shakes just to make sure I am getting all my Protein but not over the top either. I have noticed a little more shedding but that is all. I take biotin and use Revita shampoo that stimulates the hair follicle. It doesn't prevent Hair loss just helps the follicle to produce hair quicker. I could just be one of those who loses my hair later but it will be interesting to see. :)

Mine fell out with a vengence, and I still drink Protein everyday. Good theory, but a very small number of us sleevers seem to be lucky with no shedding. I wasn't upset about mine, I knew it would happen so I cut it and donated to locks of love before it fell out too bad.

Well that blew that theory! I think I too will eventually lose more I just haven't so far. Crossing my fingers!! :)

:)

My surgery was 5/22/13, and I haven't had Hair loss (I'm like you though -- every time the subject comes up, I admit that it could start tomorrow by the handfuls!)

My theory has been that I was able to get my Protein and Fluid intake up right after surgery, as well as my calories up to around 1000 early on, by consuming some healthy fats every day (yay avocados!). I use the same Shampoo I always have (redken), because I figure that any hair loss is going to be at scalp level and not the result of breakage.

I also still do consume Protein Shakes every day.

I still won't be all that surprised if I actually DO end up shedding a bit -- it seems to be the norm for WLS. Every week I am surprised it hasn't started yet, and now lately I wonder if I might get through this without the thinning hair. I won't mind if it happens, because it will grow back. I obviously won't mind if it doesn't happen at all though! Only time will tell.....I figure if I get to my 7th month post surgery I'm in the clear.

Mine started at two weeks post-op. I was drinking Protein Shakes at the time and still do. I am two months out and am still losing it by the clump. I take Biotin and my Vitamins faithfully. Thank God I had alot of hair to begin with. I think it is luck of the draw honestly. My hair started falling out about a month after my c-section 14 years ago. It stopped after three months and came in curly. Absolutely think mine has to do with the "shock" to my system.

Any drastic change in the body can cause hair to fall out and nails to break and so on....how much depends on your system...

Every time I started a diet and stayed on it for more then 2 months my hair started to shed....

You are one of the fortunate ones if it has not been that bad...Mine did not fall out either because of the sleeve...but I lost it all in the hospital because of the complications with the sleeve.....

Growing back though......yeah!

I hick everyone responds differently. I always have lost my hair when under extreme stress. I hope it doesn't trapped to me. I've been assured if it does that it will grow back once I'm balanced back out.

I never lost hair after having my kids or after any of my other surgeries in the past. I'm sure genetics has a role here too. Very interesting responses here. Keep them coming!

I lost a goodly amount of hair following two surgeries (repairing open arm and lap gall bladder). Fortunately, my hair was very thick and healthy and it never looked like I'd lost habit -- as I've aged my hair is thinner and has receded a bit. With complications following VSG I spent 7 days in the ICU and 4 of those days in a medically induced coma -- I'm resolved to losing a goodly amount of hair as a result. I've cut my shoulder length hair to minimize the "stringy hair" look, and while I haven't worn a wig before, I'll find an attractive one to go with my shrinking self.

I am 6 weeks out and consumed Protein Shakes pre op but I bet I could count on one hand the number of Protein shakes post op. I've been hitting my protein since 2 weeks post op and eat an average of 900 calories a day. I've never in my life had hair thinning issues, well that's not true, I have so much hair I have to get it thinned. I am not sure where I will be 2 weeks... 2 months... 6 months.... From now, but this is a good theory. I would like to think I will be one of the lucky ones but only time will tell. As of this point I have nothing unusual, in fact since starting Biotin a month pre op my hair and nails are the healthiest they've been in forever. I just had 6" cut off my hair and the girl must have told me 12 times how soft, shiny and healthy my hair is.

I have read that a large part of the Hair loss is the "shock" that the body goes through from the surgery. Also, anytime you lose weight rapidly, you will experience hair loss. I discussed this with my doctor because, well, I'm kind of paranoid about it all. He assured me that no, I will not go bald, as long as I keep up on my Protein Shakes (hair is made up of protein) and my Vitamins. I have also been taking extra zinc pre-op to help strengthen it now. On a side note, it's spendy, but Viviscal promises to combat the anagen phase of hair loss which surgery and weight loss promote. I will probably start on that as soon as I get off the liquid phase of my diet. I do know of two ladies that had the surgery done and they had no hair loss whatsoever. It's a mystery.

Me too, Sapphire...I am one week out from surgery and I am the most scared about the potential Hair loss. However, I have had two kids and surgeries in the past with no real ill effects so, I am PRAYING that will be par for course with me.

I have read that a large part of the hair loss is the "shock" that the body goes through from the surgery. Also' date=' anytime you lose weight rapidly, you will experience Hair loss. I discussed this with my doctor because, well, I'm kind of paranoid about it all. He assured me that no, I will not go bald, as long as I keep up on my Protein shakes (hair is made up of protein) and my Vitamins. I have also been taking extra zinc pre-op to help strengthen it now. On a side note, it's spendy, but Viviscal promises to combat the anagen phase of hair loss which surgery and weight loss promote. I will probably start on that as soon as I get off the liquid phase of my diet. I do know of two ladies that had the surgery done and they had no hair loss whatsoever. It's a mystery.[/quote']

The surgical shock aspect never made much sense to me. My hair stayed put after both my c-section and having my gall bladder removed.

However, fast and extreme weight loss has been known to be a culprit for hair loss. Namely, I believe, to the deficiency of calories, Protein, and nutrients.