Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh, do please shut up!

I think this is mean spirited. As are most of the posts here.

I will think twice about this being a safe place to post my thoughts or my pictures.

Oh come on! This is the rants and raves section of VST - this is the appropriate place to rant a bit. How long have you been reading VST? Because if it has been a while (it has been a year for me), you start to see some annoying themes. So when you see someone post their pictures in multiple threads to maximize the amount of people patting them on their back, and they do this multiple times, doesn't that make you say....hmmmm....?

Immensely different from week to week.

Ahhhhh....here it is. Just found it for your personal amusement. ;) I knew I would be able to use these words against you at some point in the near future. :P

Posted by endless80 on September 13, 2013 - 7:42 PM in POST-Operation Gastric Sleeve Surgery (VSG) Questions & Answers

I guess I don't understand "falling off the wagon"... your sleeve is designed to restrict what you eat, meaning that whatever you eat you will eat less of. Just eat till your sleeve tells you that you're full and you're going to lose weight. I've seen plenty of people who just listen to their sleeves and eat what they want and lose plenty of weight. Obviously this is going to be an unpopular answer but everyone is different.

Oh come on! This is the rants and raves section of VST - this is the appropriate place to rant a bit. How long have you been reading VST? Because if it has been a while (it has been a year for me)' date=' you start to see some annoying themes. So when you see someone post their pictures in multiple threads to maximize the amount of people patting them on their back, and they do this multiple times, doesn't that make you say....hmmmm....?[/quote']

It makes me think they must proud of their hard work. That they felt that others that are in the their shoes can relate and not get petty and jealous.

A couple years ago, I believe, I made a comment about how I feared as the sleeve gained popularity, there would be less research done by folks researching this option of WLS. They only know that their friend did it and lost weight, so they are going to do it to. They never address the issues that led them to being morbidly obese and then are shocked when, post-sleeve, they cannot abuse food the way they used to. I'm afraid this is only going to be more and more prevalent as more and more people blindly get VSG.

I jumped blindly into the Atkins, South Beach, Cabbage but could easily pull the escape cord. That is not an option here. You have to know that when you get the VSG, you are going to have to make a fundamental change with your relationship with food. If you are not ready to do that, then you are not ready for the VSG.

I'm glad that it IS permanent and there is no escape cord to pull. I did South Beach twice or maybe it was three times, and WW a couple of times...when I got sick and tired of being deprived and having to count everything and weigh everything, and I got bored with it then I went back to what I had always known. I know that the first time I want to just give up and realize that I can't I will probably be surprised and some emotions will come to the surface, but then I will be glad that I have the tools to stick with my convictions. I'm glad my insurance requires a 6 month diet period, because that will give me so much time to really get prepared mentally. I can't imagine just sending in papers and doing this kind of things a few weeks later! I have spent 44 years using food for a lot of wrong reasons. It is going to take time to unlearn that and really absorb that the future for me is going to be different than it has been in the past.

Since Madame Reverie posted her pet peeves, I just have to add one of mine. First, let me explain ... I am a writer and editor. All kinds of errors leap off the page at me -- just like nails on a chalkboard.

Spelling errors are not unique, except perhaps regarding editors who never make any. Yeah, I do sometimes type faster than my brain can spell. But ... voilà ... there is something perfect for all Internet users. It's called "ieSpell" and you can download it safe and free. You can use it for anything online, including email. Once downloaded, you can find it under the "Tools" menu.

So please, let ieSpell correct your errors so you can spell whining as it is meant to be spelled vs. "whinging," which is a whole 'nother word! Thank you and good night.

Since Madame Reverie posted her pet peeves, I just have to add one of mine. First, let me explain ... I am a writer and editor. All kinds of errors leap off the page at me -- just like nails on a chalkboard.

Spelling errors are not unique, except perhaps regarding editors who never make any. Yeah, I do sometimes type faster than my brain can spell. But ... voilà ... there is something perfect for all Internet users. It's called "ieSpell" and you can download it safe and free. You can use it for anything online, including email. Once downloaded, you can find it under the "Tools" menu.

So please, let ieSpell correct your errors so you can spell whining as it is meant to be spelled vs. "whinging," which is a whole 'nother word! Thank you and good night.

whinge (hwnj, wnj)

intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es Chiefly British

To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

[Dialectal alteration of Middle English whinsen, from Old English hwinsian.]

whinger n.

whinging·ly adv.

Ahhhhh....here it is. Just found it for your personal amusement. ;) I knew I would be able to use these words against you at some point in the near future. :P

Posted by endless80 on September 13' date=' 2013 - 7:42 PM in POST-Operation Gastric Sleeve Surgery (VSG) Questions & Answers

I guess I don't understand "falling off the wagon"... your sleeve is designed to restrict what you eat, meaning that whatever you eat you will eat less of. Just eat till your sleeve tells you that you're full and you're going to lose weight. I've seen plenty of people who just listen to their sleeves and eat what they want and lose plenty of weight. Obviously this is going to be an unpopular answer but everyone is different.

Yep....I remember seeing that same post and thinking..."say that again when you're a year post op."

Anywhere from the 6-12 month post op range there comes a point where it's not at all impossible to GAIN weight. Your metabolism is quite reduced from months of restricted calories and losing weight...especially if you haven't been exercising. Your capacity for eating increases as well as your hunger returning.....all of these things seem to happen at once and almost overnight with little warning. Combine that with "falling off the wagon" and the pounds can easily come back. Seen it, done it.

whinge (hwnj, wnj)

intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es Chiefly British

To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

[Dialectal alteration of Middle English whinsen, from Old English hwinsian.]

whinger n.

whinging·ly adv.

Thank you, Lady. Yes, being British, I use the English language. As opposed to the American interpretation of the English language!

Apologies, Sassy!

Thank you, Lady. Yes, being British, I use the English language. As opposed to the American interpretation of the English language!

Apologies, Sassy!

I may not know what bloody pudding or sponge is, but I've read enough trashy chick lit to recognize whinging and BALLS!

I may not know what bloody pudding or sponge is, but I've read enough trashy chick lit to recognize whinging and BALLS!

LOL. Good job I didn't write 'Balderdash'.. That would have screwed everyones minds up!

I did not mean to insult Brits and the like across the pond. But in the U.S., we use Standard American English. For us, it's whine. If we were to adopt some of your catchy lingo, we'd have a lot of explaining to do, i.e. the loo.

When in America ...

Where does that stop though? Should people who speak in different dialects in America not use their colloquialisms on the boards? If people use a different variation of one language, surely they should be allowed to use their own version? We all understand what everybody means - and if not, can't we ask for clarification?

When I first started working with my American brethren, I announced to some colleagues nearby that I was going to step outside and 'smoke a ***'. This, stopped the whole room as they looked up at me in complete horror.

When I clarified I was going to smoke a cigarette; they all burst out laughing.

I think we should embrace our own little linguistic colloquialisms and nuances. They can sometimes make for great fun :)

and clearly, the word 'f-star-a-star-g' is a prohibited word on this website! Hehe, amusing...