Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what should I get before surgery?

Hi all!! I was just approved for surgery and was wondering from all the pro's what I should get NOW. Should I be taking anything before? There are so many to chose from! I don't do good with too many choices..lol. Also, What should I start doing as far shopping for things I will need after surgery and packing for the hospital? If you could give me any advice what would it be??? I am so ready for this mentally but I have NOTHING as far as Vitamins and shakes yet and don't even know where to begin. Should get other things like sugar free pudding or anything else similar? ANY advice or things you learned along the way that might make my journey easier would be much appreciated! ANYTHING AT ALL!!!! Thanks in advance and congrats to everyone hope you are all doing great!!

First of all I would buy a recliner if you don't already have one or set up your bed with LOTS of pillows. Nobody told me how painful it would be after surgery when trying to sleep. It is impossible to sleep on your side and after about an hour gets very uncomfortable. The best solution i found was a reclining chair. I would also but some low calorie apple juice. It was the only thing that i actually enjoyed during the liquid phase. I would freeze a couple of ounces and then mix it with Water after it was frozen to make a slushie. It felt especially good after the surgery when i had a soar throat from the intubation.

There is a thread for this under forums/pre operation it's right at the top it says "The Official what will you will need for your gastric surgery list".. Hope it helps you.

There is a thread for this under forums/pre operation it's right at the top it says "The Official what will you will need for your gastric surgery list".. Hope it helps you.

oh thanks I tried looking for one before I posted this but didn't see anything. I will look again.

First of all I would buy a recliner if you don't already have one or set up your bed with LOTS of pillows. Nobody told me how painful it would be after surgery when trying to sleep. It is impossible to sleep on your side and after about an hour gets very uncomfortable. The best solution i found was a reclining chair. I would also but some low calorie apple juice. It was the only thing that i actually enjoyed during the liquid phase. I would freeze a couple of ounces and then mix it with Water after it was frozen to make a slushie. It felt especially good after the surgery when i had a soar throat from the intubation.

Wow, thank you! I sleep on the couch right now because I am in between beds at the moment. I do not have a recliner but will def check sales! Did you stock up on Protein Shakes or anything before surgery? Im not sure what to get. They said to buy some now and try it so I would know what I like but I can not afford to just buy a bunch of them. I am planning on getting the bariatric Vitamins.< /p>

Wow, thank you! I sleep on the couch right now because I am in between beds at the moment. I do not have a recliner but will def check sales! Did you stock up on Protein Shakes or anything before surgery? Im not sure what to get. They said to buy some now and try it so I would know what I like but I can not afford to just buy a bunch of them. I am planning on getting the bariatric Vitamins.< /p>

I absolutely DESPISE Protein shakes. I did not have any before the surgery and after they gave me Isopure which was terrible. The best I have found so far is the Unjury which is pretty popular. They also have a sampler pack which is relatively cheap and allows you to try a bunch of different flavors. My favorite is the chocolate splendor. Honestly I dont drink as many protein shakes as I should but when I do it is by far the best.

I absolutely DESPISE Protein Shakes. I did not have any before the surgery and after they gave me Isopure which was terrible. The best I have found so far is the Unjury which is pretty popular. They also have a sampler pack which is relatively cheap and allows you to try a bunch of different flavors. My favorite is the chocolate splendor. Honestly I dont drink as many Protein shakes as I should but when I do it is by far the best.

Ok thank you. I do have a sample of the ckn Soup one from unjury. Maybe I am jumping ahead but I don't think I will be able to nor feel like getting out to get these things after surgery so that's why I am asking..lol Figured I better start shopping now!

I found it, it pretty much talks about stuff to take to the hospital. I was mainly wondering what to buy for when I get home. Since I prob wont be getting out right away. Things maybe some people wish they would have got or did get and are glad they did. food, shakes, Vitamins and what kind. that sort of stuff.

Not sure about the foods either I'm watching ur posts and responses too! As far as Vitamins I already started the sublingual B12, flintstone vitamins(they can't be gummies), and chewable cal+d.

I also posted some tips that worked for me in a thread called "surgery tips" under pre surgery.

- Jen, Sleeved 8/29

Ok thank you. I do have a sample of the ckn Soup one from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. Maybe I am jumping ahead but I don't think I will be able to nor feel like getting out to get these things after surgery so that's why I am asking..lol Figured I better start shopping now!

Most Protein powders can be gotton on the web. Some Soup (to strain), baby food if you want, some tuna or canned chicken, and you have all you might need through pureed. Keep it simple.

I found it, it pretty much talks about stuff to take to the hospital. I was mainly wondering what to buy for when I get home. Since I prob wont be getting out right away. Things maybe some people wish they would have got or did get and are glad they did. food, shakes, Vitamins and what kind. that sort of stuff.

Ooh! Got us, I apologize. I am pre-sleeved, so I don't know from experience but, I have read that most people stock up on broth, sugar free Jello, and Protein (if you can stomach it). I have already begun drinking my Protein Shakes some are definitely better than others. Oh n make sure you have it pain meds filled.

Most Protein powders can be gotton on the web. Some Soup (to strain), baby food if you want, some tuna or canned chicken, and you have all you might need through pureed. Keep it simple.

Ok great thank you!

I also posted some tips that worked for me in a thread called "surgery tips" under pre surgery.

- Jen, Sleeved 8/29

Oh cool, Ill have to check it out! Thanks!

Not sure about the foods either I'm watching ur posts and responses too! As far as Vitamins I already started the sublingual B12, flintstone vitamins(they can't be gummies), and chewable cal+d.

Ya I almost picked up gas x today, I saw someone say they took some to the hospital and were glad they did. I wanna make sure sure I get the right kind ( strength wise) don't wanna overwhelm anything. I am def gonna get some vitamins and I guess order some Protein Shakes. I figured Ill also pick up some sugar free Jello and tuna and cream Soups like some are talking about. I guess Ill be good to go then. I am hoping I can return to college after about a week.