Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I'm new to the lap band. 3 weeks out. Was wondering if it's possible to stretch the pouch even if there's no Fluid in the band?? I've been having trouble sticking to the 1cup of food rule. I'm hungry all the time so portions have been a bit larger on occasion. Will the pouch stretch even though I haven't gotten a fill???

Hi all! I'm new to the lap band. 3 weeks out. Was wondering if it's possible to stretch the pouch even if there's no Fluid in the band?? I've been having trouble sticking to the 1cup of food rule. I'm hungry all the time so portions have been a bit larger on occasion. Will the pouch stretch even though I haven't gotten a fill???

I am not a physician, however my surgeon has told me that over time, both eating too much and/or eating too fast can stretch your pouch.

This does not happen rapidly, but developing the good habits for your new lifestyle should be a priority now.

Until you get some restriction, much of your Portion Control will be your responsibility. It's not a good time, but keep your focus on your goals. To help manage hunger, I drink fluids and stay occupied with projects or exercise.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

If food is going through easily then my opinion is it's not sitting in the pouch long enough to cause any stretching. But that is just my opinion.

If food is going through easily then my opinion is it's not sitting in the pouch long enough to cause any stretching. But that is just my opinion.

I don't have any Fluid in yet. So naturally everything will be going right through :( I don't get one until dec 4

Please don't stretch your pouch over a long period of time! I had my Lapband placed in 2006 and found my sweet spot and things were going great. I lost 2 sizes and I was in love with my Band so I coasted & did not try too hard to reach a goal on the scale. My diabetes, high blood pressure & etc. were improved or gone and I am 80 plus years old, so life was at it's best. I recommended the Band to anyone who inquired! Then in May of 2012 I had a mamagram and found I had Breast Cancer. The next week I had the saline removed from the Band and had breast removal the following week. To make a long story short (or long) I had drainage for several months after surgery and my eating changed. When I got back to normal health I couldn't stop eating over the long winter months. So when I visited my Bariatric Center last spring they did the dye picture & then said my pouch was stretched & there was nothing to do for me. (Age or ObomaCare? I don't know.) I cried, and then told myself I would work to find my "zone" again on my own. I've lost a little, and I still have my Band & it hasn't slipped. Now I need to just get my mind off food. I visited a Nutritionist last month and am reading some new books recommended in SparkPeople & Lapband for inspiration. B):huh:B):huh::rolleyes:

Joanne, did you get a second opinion? Your pouch is just an extension of your stomach and it seems that if one goes on a liquid or mushie diet, the dilation would shrink? Or, is it your esophagus that is dilated?

tmf

Joanne I agree with TMF, you need a second opinion. A lot of people deal with stretched pouches from over eating. The majority just go on liquids awhile to allow it to shrink and get serious about measuring their portions- then they can go back to getting fills.

If your band hasn't eroded or slipped, there's no reason you should be doing this on your own as if the band wasn't there.

I'd definitely get a second opinion if I were you.

I have my band 6 years now and have lost over 100 pounds. I am still shy about 40 to reach goal. My problem has always been that I can usually eat larger amounts of food than most say they can here on LBT. I have always thought from the beginning (right after my OP) that I have a very elastic pouch (and stomach) from all the years of overeating large amounts. Has anyone else been confirmed with this? It used to drive me crazy waiting for the band to say I'd eaten enough. Maybe I just eat too slow too. At any rate, I have to use lots of will power to lose weight. Thankfully I can maintain this weight and not gain, but I'd love to finally reach my goal or at least get another 20 off. Oh, and before anyone says workout at the gym - I am there 3 times a week doing 1.5 hours cardio and 1+ hour of machines. I am fit as a horse... just a large one! lol

From personal experience and studying the lap band carefully and seeing others report pouch dilation -- NO you CANNOT dilate your pouch on a loose band.

However, if you vomit a LOT before your band heals in the first 6 weeks to a few months post op, YOU can slip your band, even with hardly no saline, there are different types of slips, the sutures can come loose, or the stomach can prolapse over the band, very large pouch dilation.

Also surgeons technique can greater your chances of pouch dilation, if the surgeon installs the band incorrectly, this can also cause pouch dilation.

Because when the band is loose there is NO TIGHT PRESSURE there to dilate, inflame and irritate the stomach.

However, this is the tricky part, 'some' people have very tight bands with little to no saline, hence it could be a bit too small for their anatomy.

I will put it this way, if your band is loose -- NO you cannot stretch your pouch, pouch dilation ONLY happens when your band gets tighten either too tight or to the Green Zone.

Pouch dilation usually occurs when the band is TIGHTLY RESTRICTED, and you eat TOO MUCH food CONSTANTLY ON A TOO TIGHT BAND, and when too much food is forced upon a VERY tight created pouch above the band, it has no where else to go but either expand your esophagus (which is called esophageal dilation, or expand your pouch, which is called mild slippage, pouch dilation).

This is why many people who WANT TO EAT MORE FOOD, get saline removed to prevent from stretching their pouch, however if you get an adjustment that is in the RED zone(too tight), this will greater your chances of pouch dilation quicker than in the Green zone even if you don't eat much food.

You also can dilate your pouch in the Green zone if you constantly eat too much food and vomit daily, which leads to reflux, heartburn, frequent vomiting and slippage.

You have to be EXTRA careful with chewing your food and not over eating once you get into the Green zone to prevent pouch dilation.

Please don't stretch your pouch over a long period of time! I had my Lapband placed in 2006 and found my sweet spot and things were going great. I lost 2 sizes and I was in love with my Band so I coasted & did not try too hard to reach a goal on the scale. My diabetes, high blood pressure & etc. were improved or gone and I am 80 plus years old, so life was at it's best. I recommended the Band to anyone who inquired! Then in May of 2012 I had a mamagram and found I had Breast Cancer. The next week I had the saline removed from the Band and had breast removal the following week. To make a long story short (or long) I had drainage for several months after surgery and my eating changed. When I got back to normal health I couldn't stop eating over the long winter months. So when I visited my Bariatric Center last spring they did the dye picture & then said my pouch was stretched & there was nothing to do for me. (Age or ObomaCare? I don't know.) I cried, and then told myself I would work to find my "zone" again on my own. I've lost a little, and I still have my Band & it hasn't slipped. Now I need to just get my mind off food. I visited a Nutritionist last month and am reading some new books recommended in SparkPeople & Lapband for inspiration. B):huh:B):huh::rolleyes:

I'm very sorry orry abour the breast cancer. I hope that you are doing better now and that you are in good health. If I understood correctly, your band was deflated, but the pouch was still able to stretch with the deflated band ? If you are able to shrick your stomach with a liquid diet, would you be able to get a fill on your band again ?