Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I doing something wrong????????

So I keep reading about these huge losses people have while on the pre-op diet. I have been on my pre-op diet for 5 days now and I've lost 1 lb! Yup, you read that right *1* lb is what I've lost in 5 days :angry: And no, I haven't cheated. Not once. I have my 4 Slim Fast shakes each day. Additionally, I usually have 1 or 2 cups of chicken broth made from bouillon cubes throughout the day, a cup of SF Jello, 3 or 4 SF popsicles, lots of Water and maybe 1 or 2 sticks of Crystal Light. What is going on here? Am I doing something wrong??? Am I just doomed to being a fat girl for the rest of my life? HELP!!!

PS. My doctor's order for my pre-op diet is this:

Slim Fast Shakes- You will have 4 shakes per day. 1 for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner and then 1 more at your discretion.

You may have all of the SF clear liquid you want including SF Popsicles, SF Jello, chicken & Beef broth, Crystal Light, Diet Soda

Hi friend,

Don't be discouraged, sometimes it takes a minute for our bodies to understand what's going on. Make sure your keeping hydrated for me that was a big key, and those bullion cubes can have lots of salt in them which could have you retaining some fluids as well.

The first bit and the bit just after banding can be rough, I have faith that your going to make it and your going to surprise yourself!

During this time you need to show yourself some TLC your working hard and making lots of changes. Don't beat yourself up, keep up the good work and it will pay off in the end.

:D

So I keep reading about these huge losses people have while on the pre-op diet. I have been on my pre-op diet for 5 days now and I've lost 1 lb! Yup, you read that right *1* lb is what I've lost in 5 days :angry: And no, I haven't cheated. Not once. I have my 4 Slim Fast shakes each day. Additionally, I usually have 1 or 2 cups of chicken broth made from bouillon cubes throughout the day, a cup of SF Jello, 3 or 4 SF popsicles, lots of Water and maybe 1 or 2 sticks of Crystal Light. What is going on here? Am I doing something wrong??? Am I just doomed to being a fat girl for the rest of my life? HELP!!!

PS. My doctor's order for my pre-op diet is this:

Slim Fast Shakes- You will have 4 shakes per day. 1 for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner and then 1 more at your discretion.

You may have all of the SF clear liquid you want including SF Popsicles, SF Jello, chicken & Beef broth, Crystal Light, Diet Soda

There are different Slim Fasts. There is one now that has more Protein which fills you longer than the regular one. Have you tried that one?

As for not losing pounds, are your clothes getting bigger? I know I retain fluids and from bed time until I get up in the morning my weight can change by 4-7 pounds. i am a scale junkie!! I admit it.

Good luck. In the end you will be fine. Since February or March I am down maybe 10 lbs and I am fine with that. My clothes got a little big and my next pair of pants may be a smaller size!

There are different Slim Fasts. There is one now that has more Protein which fills you longer than the regular one. Have you tried that one?

As for not losing pounds, are your clothes getting bigger? I know I retain fluids and from bed time until I get up in the morning my weight can change by 4-7 pounds. i am a scale junkie!! I admit it.

Good luck. In the end you will be fine. Since February or March I am down maybe 10 lbs and I am fine with that. My clothes got a little big and my next pair of pants may be a smaller size!

Yes, I'm doing the high protein/lower carb version of the slimfast shakes. It's 20 grams of Protein. I'm not hungry or anything like that. I won't lie-I do still have cravings when I see or smell food or if there's a commercial for something I like on tv. As far as hunger though, I'm not really hungry at all. And like I said, I haven't cheated. I'm just worried that if I'm not losing pounds, perhaps I'm not getting the liver shrinkage either which is the whole goal of the pre-op diet.

Yes, I'm doing the high protein/lower carb version of the slimfast shakes. It's 20 grams of Protein. I'm not hungry or anything like that. I won't lie-I do still have cravings when I see or smell food or if there's a commercial for something I like on tv. As far as hunger though, I'm not really hungry at all. And like I said, I haven't cheated. I'm just worried that if I'm not losing pounds, perhaps I'm not getting the liver shrinkage either which is the whole goal of the pre-op diet.

I would not worry if you are doing everything right. is it the time of month for you?

I never thought of cheating because I was so afraid I would mess up everything, so just keep doing what you are doing. I see on this site about people that cheat really bad and then wonder, what went wrong. Maybe keep away from the 'metal monster', I should talk, I weigh myself about 6 times a day/night.

Stop weighing and start believing! Trust me - Get off the scales. Do the 2 weeks and see where you are the very last day! XO :wub:

Sounds like Water retention. Try backing off of the bouillonn a little and see if that helps.

Are you having broth/stock or bullion? I ask because bullion is extremely high is sodium. Seriously, that stuff is like a tiny, meaty salt lick of goodness in your bowl. And if you are using more than one cube/spoonful, well, you are seriously sodium loading. Try switching to low sodium broth/stock instead and flush with lots of Water and see if that helps. :D

Are you having broth/stock or bullion? I ask because bullion is extremely high in sodium. Seriously, that stuff is like a tiny, meaty salt lick of goodness in your bowl. And if you are using more than one cube/spoonful, well, you are seriously sodium loading. Try switching to low sodium broth/stock instead and flush with lots of Water and see if that helps. :D

Okay, I don't know what I just did, there. I tried to edit to fix a typo and quoted my post, instead. Brains, I ain't got none. :o:D

Let me tell you not everyone loses a lot on pre-op diet I certainly didn't, and I hope you don't get too discouraged after only 5 days or this journey will be longer than it has to be, I'm not trying to be to critical but weight loss takes time and you haven't even been banded yet there is still all the pre-op time and then 4-6 weeks of post-op time when losing a lot of weight is unrealistic for some people.

Please don't focus on the scale yet, learn to eat right and it will happen, you will hit moments when it takes forever to lose 2 ounces and other times you might lose 5 lbs. in a week, I promise if you do your part the rest will happen.

A word of caution though, stress (even stressing about the number on the scale) will slow down your progress. let this happen, be patient and be excited this can change your life in great ways like it has for so many of us!!

your not doing anything wrong except stressing...

Good luck everything will work out!

You haven't even had surgery yet? The goal of a pre-op diet is to shrink the liver not the body. If you happen to lose weight it's just a bonus. And any weight lost will be Water as others have said.

But relax, this is a very long journey and you're not even in the starting blocks yet.

tmf

Hi countrysweet! I have not started any pre-op diet (or even have a date or approval yet), but I wanted to tell you to look at all of the support you have here and listen to what they have to say. Your body can do what it wants and it is more then likely NOT going to do what the person's next to you is doing. I was on a prescription drug for 6 months to loose weight and all I read was how wonderful it is and how much weight they lost....I lost 15 stinking pounds! I am beyond frustrated. Remember, stress can make your weight fluctuate and looking at the numbers can cause a whole bunch of stress. I understand how you must be feeling and know you need to just hang in there. Things will look up; you are just beginning your journey!

instead of worrying what you are doing wrong...how about focusing on what you are doing right....

and then keep doing it..

Hi friend,

Don't be discouraged, sometimes it takes a minute for our bodies to understand what's going on. Make sure your keeping hydrated for me that was a big key, and those bullion cubes can have lots of salt in them which could have you retaining some fluids as well.

The first bit and the bit just after banding can be rough, I have faith that your going to make it and your going to surprise yourself!

During this time you need to show yourself some TLC your working hard and making lots of changes. Don't beat yourself up, keep up the good work and it will pay off in the end.

:D

Thank you. You're right-I just need to work on not being so hard on myself and not sweating the small stuff. One thing I hadn't thought about was that it *may* be TOM for me. It's hard to tell because I had an endometrial ablation last year so I don't have a flow anymore but still have the hormonal changes associated with it so that could be part of it too. And honestly, it isn't so much about losing a ton of weight quickly. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. The last thing I want to do is screw this pre-op diet up, go into surgery thinking I'm going to get my band, and come out only to hear the surgeon say "We couldn't do it because your liver was still too large and in the way".