Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First attempt at fill unsuccessful :(

I went in today to see my surgeon for my first fill. I'm 4 weeks post op, and have done pretty well since my surgery. He expressed to me concerns at my first post op visit (3 weeks ago) that he was afraid he would have issues hitting my port this first time because my stomach is/was quite large. I've lost a significant amount of weight in my belly and I can feel my port, but we had no luck today trying to access it. He definitely tried (and I think he felt defeated, he said he's only not been able to access a port a couple times in the past), but after four pokes with that GIANT 4-5" needle, I had to have him stop. I was in tears (again, he said he'd never made a patient cry before from accessing their port. I think he felt pretty bad). They scheduled me to go back Wednesday and have it done under fluoroscopy at the hospital. Hopefully I'll continue to lose like I have been and my stomach will shrink up between now and next month when I go back for my next fill!

I'm having some muscle-ache type pain in my stomach in the area about 3 inches above where my port actually is. It doesn't really hurt, just feels achy, like when you pull a muscle, or do 100 stomach crunches. He did have me try to do a crunch while he was trying to access the port, so I wonder if it's from holding that crunch position for so long? I'll have to keep an eye on it and let him know if it gets worse.

So sorry about that. My first time was kind of tough too because of the scar tissue that forms which they said was common but they eventually found it. I will say with all the probing in and out with that needle- I did feel it too but bit my lip hard as I wanted them to find it. They will find it and the next time will go much more smoothly for sure. the first time is a bugger alot of times. You have done fantastic already- keep going and you are well on your way.

Ugh that's awful. I'm so sorry you went through that.

Hopefully when they try again at the hospital they'll have better luck.

And yes, I'm sure your tummy is sore from trying to hold that crunch position. I used to have to do that too for every fill and my stomach would be sore after.

Good luck!

Oh :( That just makes me sad hon.

Does he use lidocaine to numb the area prior to accessing the port? If not, request it. As an RN, I also think it's not too much to ask for extra helping hands, pillow behind your back to help w/ the crunch position...whatever it takes.

My hub and I were banded same day. He is larger than I and he too has had previous difficulty with access to his port but not to the point they couldn't get it.

I know it's a pain, but keep going. You seem to have a great and go get em attitude. The fills are essential to your success so make that doc earn his money (snicker)

Oh :( That just makes me sad hon.

Does he use lidocaine to numb the area prior to accessing the port? If not, request it. As an RN, I also think it's not too much to ask for extra helping hands, pillow behind your back to help w/ the crunch position...whatever it takes.

My hub and I were banded same day. He is larger than I and he too has had previous difficulty with access to his port but not to the point they couldn't get it.

I know it's a pain, but keep going. You seem to have a great and go get em attitude. The fills are essential to your success so make that doc earn his money (snicker)

I honestly never even thought to ask him to numb the area up prior. I had no idea going in that the needle they use is SO long. I mean 20 gauge is no biggie, but when I saw how long that sucker was I got a little nervous. lol I did ok the first 3 pokes, but on that fourth poke he was digging around. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I started crying, it really hurt! My poor hubby, I thought he was going to punch my surgeon in the face because I was in pain. :huh: I really do like my surgeon, I work with him at the hospital I work at and I know he's a very talented surgeon, and I do at least respect that he tried to access it in his office even though he knew he would likely have difficulty. He told me he's been worrying about accessing my port since he saw me 3 weeks ago in his office at my post op visit. lol So, in the grand scheme of things, this is just a little hiccup along the way. I'll go in Wednesday to IR and have this sucker accessed and filled and hopefully, like I said, the next time it won't be as hard! Now I just need my work day tomorrow to go by reallllllllly fast! ;)

I honestly never even thought to ask him to numb the area up prior. I had no idea going in that the needle they use is SO long. I mean 20 gauge is no biggie, but when I saw how long that sucker was I got a little nervous. lol I did ok the first 3 pokes, but on that fourth poke he was digging around. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I started crying, it really hurt! My poor hubby, I thought he was going to punch my surgeon in the face because I was in pain. :huh: I really do like my surgeon, I work with him at the hospital I work at and I know he's a very talented surgeon, and I do at least respect that he tried to access it in his office even though he knew he would likely have difficulty. He told me he's been worrying about accessing my port since he saw me 3 weeks ago in his office at my post op visit. lol So, in the grand scheme of things, this is just a little hiccup along the way. I'll go in Wednesday to IR and have this sucker accessed and filled and hopefully, like I said, the next time it won't be as hard! Now I just need my work day tomorrow to go by reallllllllly fast! ;)

Sounds like you have a great surgeon. You, as the patient, would not know to ask for lidocaine. It's a dr protocol. However, it's a good q to ask or request in the future since you know there will be difficulties accessing your port. :)

So sorry about this....my doc numbs with lidocaine and it is so worth it. At first he had to put a pillow under my back and that helped him. Good luck!

The fluoroscopy is awesome. My doc does them that way.Quick and easy.You will like it better that way.

I honestly never even thought to ask him to numb the area up prior. I had no idea going in that the needle they use is SO long. I mean 20 gauge is no biggie' date=' but when I saw how long that sucker was I got a little nervous. lol I did ok the first 3 pokes, but on that fourth poke he was digging around. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I started crying, it really hurt! My poor hubby, I thought he was going to punch my surgeon in the face because I was in pain. :huh: I really do like my surgeon, I work with him at the hospital I work at and I know he's a very talented surgeon, and I do at least respect that he tried to access it in his office even though he knew he would likely have difficulty. He told me he's been worrying about accessing my port since he saw me 3 weeks ago in his office at my post op visit. lol So, in the grand scheme of things, this is just a little hiccup along the way. I'll go in Wednesday to IR and have this sucker accessed and filled and hopefully, like I said, the next time it won't be as hard! Now I just need my work day tomorrow to go by reallllllllly fast! ;)[/quote']i had pretty much the same thing happen to me. I was banded on 8-5-13 and went one mint halter for first fill, and it was same as you. He didn't want me back until November 6th, but I called and got my appointment moved up a week so I go Wednesday 10-23 for first fill now. I am nervous, because it was painful. I have nothing in my band now. I have not lost any more weight, but I have not gained back the 24pounds I lost pre-op, and after surgery. I have been struggling with hunger, and have had no restriction. I also had a hemotoma at port incision. You may not feel your port, because I thought I vigils feel mine, but it was actually the hemotoma. The port is buried under fat and muscle. Good luck.

The flouro will help and my doc ALWAYS says a stick and burn then to numb me before a fill so ask if they are not doing it , or if they don't offer and I hope they find your port eaiser in the future for your fills.

The fluoroscopy is awesome. My doc does them that way.Quick and easy.You will like it better that way.

Not only can the fluoro be useful in locating the port early on, ( when its more "hidden" ), but more importantly, it allows your surgeon/fill doctor to SEE what they are doing during the adjustment, and that all is well with your band.

Instead of just the guessing method....

i had pretty much the same thing happen to me. I was banded on 8-5-13 and went one mint halter for first fill' date=' and it was same as you. He didn't want me back until November 6th, but I called and got my appointment moved up a week so I go Wednesday 10-23 for first fill now. I am nervous, because it was painful. I have nothing in my band now. I have not lost any more weight, but I have not gained back the 24pounds I lost pre-op, and after surgery. I have been struggling with hunger, and have had no restriction. I also had a hemotoma at port incision. You may not feel your port, because I thought I vigils feel mine, but it was actually the hemotoma. The port is buried under fat and muscle. Good luck.[/quote']so, I went for my first fill today, and it was SUCCESS! Finally! It was not bad at all. So much better than last attempt. I got half of cc in my band. So far so good. I am on liquids today, and mushiness tomorrow.

so, I went for my first fill today, and it was SUCCESS! Finally! It was not bad at all. So much better than last attempt. I got half of cc in my band. So far so good. I am on liquids today, and mushiness tomorrow.

I also had a successful first fill today!

I ended up with 2cc in my band. I can't believe how much quicker I get full now! Doing soft foods today and tomorrow, so we'll see!

I also had a successful first fill today! I ended up with 2cc in my band. I can't believe how much quicker I get full now! Doing soft foods today and tomorrow' date=' so we'll see![/quote']tThat is great! I hope we are on our way!