Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slippage Blues

I started this summer getting several colds and losing my singing voice for almost 2 months (very distressing for a singer). Then I started having problems keeping food and liquids down and some burning. When I went to the doctor he assessed there might be some inflammation from some food that was caught and possibly some reflux. So he removed some Fluid from the band and over the next 2 weeks I was able to get food down but the burning still continued but at a lesser degree. I was sent for fluoroscopy and discovered my band had slipped. Going to see him on Monday. Stressed...Distressed...Anxious...and a few more depressing adjectives is how I feel right now....Found out I've lost 97lbs but it's a little hard to Celebrate that right now.

Hello...

It all depends on how bad the slippage is, will determine what your options are.

If your band has truly 'slipped' you need to get it surgically fixed, removed or replaced.

The Band-aid approach is to remove all saline, go on a liquid diet for a bit and slowly refill and most people are ok with this, however, it may be difficult for you to get back into the Green zone WITHOUT reflux and other issues. But this can be managed by either taking PPi's (acid reducers) and not keeping the band too tight.

If things get worse, your only options are is to fix the band, your surgeon can re-position the band if it has slipped out of place,, there are several types of band slippage,

Here are some information on Band slippage, hopefully it can help you out.

Good luck

Lapband Slippage

Lap Band Slippage - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment

A condition in which sometimes the stomach wall can slip through the band resulting in lap band slippage. This slipping will result in a bulge above the band. Sometimes this will resolve itself, others it will be more severe and have side effects such as nausea and making it harder to eat or drink. The following pictures depict a normal and a slipped band.

Normal Band

lap-band-normal_med_hr.jpeg

Slipped Band

lap-band-slippage_med_hr.jpeg

Two common types of slippage:

Anterior slippage: the front of the stomach slips past the band. To try to secure the band at the time of installation, the stomach on either side of the band is stiched together trapping the band.

Posterior slippage: the rear of the stomach slides up through the band. This type of slippage was more common in the early 90's in Europe because they used the perigastric technique. Since then they've moved to the method employed in the U.S. and now commonly accepted as safe, the pars flaccida method.

Diagnosis of Band Slippage: How can you tell?

Usually it's fairly simple to diagnose. If a patient has had no problems for a period of time and suddenly has acid reflux or if you can eat more than before with a tight band it may mean that the small pouch has been stretched by overeating and some of the stomach has pulled through the band. An x-ray with barium easily confirms the issue.

As stated earlier, nausea or difficulty eating may accompany slippage. The only sure way to tell is to visit your doctor and have a ugi series also known as an upper GI series x-ray.

Treatment of Band Slippage:

• Mild slip: Deflate the band; reinflate in one to two weeks.
  • Moderate slip: Deflate the band, operate to reposition band.
  • Severe slip: Deflate band and operate to remove band.
  • Less than five percent of patients will require removal or reoperation
  • In extreme cases the stomach above or within the band may need to be removed.

Prevention of Band Slippage:

• Appropriate band placement by surgeon
  • Careful progression of diet by patient. Follow your meal plan to a "T" No solid foods for 4 weeks.
  • Wait at least 6 weeks for first adjustment.
  • Avoid vomiting or purging
  • Avoid over eating and stretching the stomach pouch
  • Chew food slowly and completely

Best wishes! Have had a slipped band, too!Was repaired 2 years ago. Okay now!

I would first and foremost like to give you a single piece of advise and that is to not to be stressed.This will only worsen your condition and you will find that more and more acid is being produced in your stomach and you are having more influx.Many of us have faced this band slippage problem,and it is nothing that cannot be corrected.So be positive and everything will turn out fine for you once you visit a doctor.

Don't borrow trouble :) I had my band slip and was so worried about it. As it turns out I was one of the people who a simple defill worked on. My surgeon defilled me completely, put me on protonix which actually helps heal any damage acid has done in your stomach. And then two months later I started back to small, slow fills.

My slip was found because of all the acid reflux / gerd and just plain uncomfortableness. So I had an endoscopy- which found minor ulceration and a small slip.

Hang in there

I too am so stressed because yesterday I was told that I have a prolapse. I have to go back to my dr in 4 weeks. I am down 40 lbs since my surgery in May and was feeling great and excited about my progress now I'm disappointed and worried that I may have to have the band completely deflated or possible surgery to fix it. I had 3 adjustments, but had to go have a small amount removed after the 3rd it was too tight too fast. Then I caught a virus/ stomach flu and was horribly sick for almost 2 weeks and because I had been throwing up so much from that more Fluid was removed to let my stomach heal somewhat. I did get to where I was more hungry and could eat more at one time in the past two weeks but I definitely didn't eat the way I did prior to being banded. I was concerned when I was sick about the throwing up very frequently causing a problem but I have felt good since I got over the stomach bug. My stress level has been very high also. Dealing with 2 kids (18 & 20 yrs ) that are being so rebellious that I've had to make them move out of the house and they tell me at the dr not to be stressed. I am hoping and praying that things look better in 4 weeks and that my worrying over this prolapse doesn't make things worse.

I had my lapband placed in 2009. Lost almost all of my weight (111 lbs) and then it slipped. They defilled me to see if it would fix itself. It didn't. I was told it wasn't surgical and that "it was all up to me" now - the lapband was done with it's job. After a year, and 30 extra lbs, I decided to revise to the sleeve. My insurance paid for it cuz it was a lapband complication.

Had my sleeve revision in July. It took my dr an extra 30 minutes to dig my band outa my stomach. Not sure what would've happened if it had stayed in there any longer.

So happy with my sleeve. It's going pretty slow (lost 22 lbs in 3 mths). I knew it would come off slower cuz I started lower (174), and I'm only 23 lbs from my goal of 130. I've only vomited once since being sleeved (vs almost everyday- even while totally unfilled with the band)

No more pain while eating either. My dr doesn't recommend the band to anyone anymore. He fixes more complication than sees those with none. While I'm thankful that my band allowed me to lose over 100 lbs, I'm also thankful that its out and I'm on my way back down.

Good luck with ur decision!

Marci

Good luck to u all so far I have not had a slip and I am a yr and one month now and have been loseing slowly as expected :)

Hi there, sounds like you have a good understanding of all this. I got banded in Dec. 2007, lost 100 lbs. I thought my band was really tight because I could hardly eat 1/2 cup...so later I asked to have it loosened so I can eat more because I was just so sleepy and no energy at all. I ate more and started feeling better but then stll from time to time I would be in the bathroom slimming for 30 minutes, etc. Over 6 years, I thought I was doing pretty good. I started picking up on some bad habits again, but still jogged and ate good. I never know when I can eat. Out of the blue I will be TIGHT. Other days, I can eat a lot. So I throw up once in a while and slimming here and there. I had no idea that my band slipped. It could've slipped a year ago. I have no idea when it slipped. Other than my throat burning from reflux, I think my band is just fine. Well, I need it reposition and have to start all over with my band. Hopefully, everything will go well. I'll find out after I wake up from the surgery in a few weeks. I realize now that I MUST go by the rules even if I feel ok....Do you think it wil slip again?

Hello...

It all depends on how bad the slippage is, will determine what your options are.

If your band has truly 'slipped' you need to get it surgically fixed, removed or replaced.

The Band-aid approach is to remove all saline, go on a liquid diet for a bit and slowly refill and most people are ok with this, however, it may be difficult for you to get back into the Green zone WITHOUT reflux and other issues. But this can be managed by either taking PPi's (acid reducers) and not keeping the band too tight.

If things get worse, your only options are is to fix the band, your surgeon can re-position the band if it has slipped out of place,, there are several types of band slippage,

Here are some information on Band slippage, hopefully it can help you out.

Good luck

Lapband Slippage

Lap Band Slippage - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment

A condition in which sometimes the stomach wall can slip through the band resulting in lap band slippage. This slipping will result in a bulge above the band. Sometimes this will resolve itself, others it will be more severe and have side effects such as nausea and making it harder to eat or drink. The following pictures depict a normal and a slipped band.

Normal Band

lap-band-normal_med_hr.jpeg
Slipped Band

lap-band-slippage_med_hr.jpeg

Two common types of slippage:

Anterior slippage: the front of the stomach slips past the band. To try to secure the band at the time of installation, the stomach on either side of the band is stiched together trapping the band.
Posterior slippage: the rear of the stomach slides up through the band. This type of slippage was more common in the early 90's in Europe because they used the perigastric technique. Since then they've moved to the method employed in the U.S. and now commonly accepted as safe, the pars flaccida method.

Diagnosis of Band Slippage: How can you tell?

Usually it's fairly simple to diagnose. If a patient has had no problems for a period of time and suddenly has acid reflux or if you can eat more than before with a tight band it may mean that the small pouch has been stretched by overeating and some of the stomach has pulled through the band. An x-ray with barium easily confirms the issue.
As stated earlier, nausea or difficulty eating may accompany slippage. The only sure way to tell is to visit your doctor and have a ugi series also known as an upper GI series x-ray.

Treatment of Band Slippage:

• Mild slip: Deflate the band; reinflate in one to two weeks.
  • Moderate slip: Deflate the band, operate to reposition band.
  • Severe slip: Deflate band and operate to remove band.
  • Less than five percent of patients will require removal or reoperation
  • In extreme cases the stomach above or within the band may need to be removed.
Prevention of Band Slippage:
  • Appropriate band placement by surgeon
  • Careful progression of diet by patient. Follow your meal plan to a "T" No solid foods for 4 weeks.
  • Wait at least 6 weeks for first adjustment.
  • Avoid vomiting or purging
  • Avoid over eating and stretching the stomach pouch
  • Chew food slowly and completely

Well I'm back to give an update...

First of all thank you everyone for all of you words of encouragement, advice, and information it really helped set me at ease (maintaining the brave front for the family :rolleyes:)

I'm happy to report that I was able to have my band repaired and he removed some scar tissue as well. The only downside was that I my gained weight in the first month after the repair and was NOT happy .

Feburary can't get here soon enough. I forgot what it was like trying to find "The Green Zone" it is definitely time for another fill, I'm like a bear coming out of hibernation!!!!!!

I bought my wedding gown last week and the first fitting is in May that's keeping me in line :lol:

Well I'm back to give an update...

First of all thank you everyone for all of you words of encouragement, advice, and information it really helped set me at ease (maintaining the brave front for the family :rolleyes:)

I'm happy to report that I was able to have my band repaired and he removed some scar tissue as well. The only downside was that I my gained weight in the first month after the repair and was NOT happy .

Feburary can't get here soon enough. I forgot what it was like trying to find "The Green Zone" it is definitely time for another fill, I'm like a bear coming out of hibernation!!!!!!

I bought my wedding gown last week and the first fitting is in May that's keeping me in line :lol:

Awesome!!!! Congratulations!

Awesome!!!! Congratulations!

This happens to a LOT of long term bandsters we get complacent and forget the rules, because honestly many of use get tired of restriction! I found myself in the same predicament. If it was me I would go back to my surgeons office and have them check the band for any pouch dilation, this is a common late long term complication especially if we find we can eat more food..... Sometimes 'rebooting' the band can help, sometimes you may have to get some saline removed for about 6 weeks let the stomach rest and start refilling to reset the pouch......

I was Banded 12/22/10 & being re-banded on 2/11/14. I have lost a total of 107 lbs & very happy with my choice to have the band. Last summer I had a stomach virus & the vomiting caused band to slip. All Fluid was removed & band went back into place on its own. Nevertheless for the past few months I'm hungry & can eat more (this is with my band filled to the maximum). My Surgeon said for some/most people after a slip the Band never really goes back to the original state that it was (my sweet spot/green zone). He gave me the option of the sleeve or another band.... Well I chose the Band because I'm happy with it, I know how it works with my body & I saw no need to cut out a portion of my stomach. I'm not saying NEVER to the sleeve, but right now NO.