Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery

Hi,

Just trying to find out if anyone can share with me their weight loss journey with the gastric plication procedure. I had mine done on June 8, 2011 at Jackson South in Miami. I am currently on stage 3 eating pureed foods and am walking only 30 minutes a day, I weighed 268 pds and have lost 20 pds, currentlly weighing 248. I have not craved and have totally forgotten about soft drinks which I thought was going to be the hardest thing to do, however I find my most difficult battle is my mind and craving foods I use to enjoy. I am so committed to changing my eating habits and eat healthier that I made an appt with a psychologist specializing in eating disorders just in case I am not aware of any issue I may have with food that brought me to where I am today.

I read about the person who had the gastric plication surgery problem and ended up in the emergency room and it's good to know the symptoms in case something does not feel right.

I would really appreciate reading about others plication surgery success or concerns.

barbi2000

Hi barbi. I had my gastric plication June 6, 2001 in Chattanooga, so we're close in terms of start date. I'm moving toward regular foods (eating "soft" foods now). If find the "soft" foods pretty unclear. Anything's "soft" if you chew it well enough. Chewing very well and slowly is where I find that I struggle at times at this point. If I don't eat slowly and chew very well I can eat too much before my brain/stomach realize I've eaten too much. I then end up with with a "backed up" feeling in my esophagus that might lead to a trip to vomit. It's only happened twice, but it's pretty uncomfortable.

I'm trying to get in 30 minutes of exercise by walking outdoors each day, but living in southeast TN, that has to happen early or late in the day due to heat/humidity. The weather's been unusually rainy/stormy at those times of day this month, so I went yesterday and bought a recumbent bike (an inexpensive one). I figure if I can't walk due to weather, I can use it. My plan is to use it for at least 30 minutes each night to supplement my walking so I get an hour in each day. I'd be sitting on my fat butt reading or watching TV, both of which can be done on the bike.

I too was worried about soft drinks and missing them. Not been an issue for me either. I gave up sugared soda about 2 years ago and lost nearly 20 lbs by drinking diet drinks. I just knew that I'd crave the diet drinks, but really haven't. I did have a weird issue yesterday with sugary drinks. I had a gift card in my wallet for Starbucks, and I used to love their iced Chai tea lattes. This was the first drink I've had since the pre-surgery diet with any real sugar content. I got the small one and as I drank it, I thought it was way too sweet. Almost disgusting. I went on to another store and within 15 minutes I was jittery, having cold sweats and was afraid I might be sick. Don't think I'll be having one of those again anytime soon.

I haven't had any real issues with food cravings. For me, not being able to have a lot of the junk/fast food for several weeks seems to have made me crave them less. I'm definitely on dairy Protein burnout since I've had so much dairy/milky stuff lately.

I've been trying to keep an electronic journal on my iPad to track what I eat each day, and I think I'm struggling to get in enough calories. I've seen people mention 1200 calories on here as a goal, and I'm lucky to be hit 800-1000 on a good day. The nutritionist at my physician's office didn't give me a calorie target. She gave me food group guidelines (always eat Protein first, protein should be about 3 oz, then eat veggies etc). I'm going to take what I've been doing to the office and see if she can give me more concrete guidance about number of calories I should be consuming. I know it's possible to eat so far below your basal metabolic calorie requirement that it makes it more difficult to lose weight. I wonder if that's an issue with me. My food tracking app is suggesting that.

I've lost about 10-12 lbs since June 11 when I began tracking weight/food daily depending on the day and the scale, but the scale has been stuck for me the last few days (which I also know typically happens about this time). I also have to make myself stay away from the scale. One day I think I was on it five or six times. I realized I could make myself even crazier and now limit myself one trip to the scale daily.

I'd love to hear any generalizations you could make about your visit to psychologist turns up in terms of things that might be helpful.

I've no idea if any of that rambling is helpful, but it's where I am at the moment. Hope something might be of use.

Hello fellow Pliation Sisters!

I am heading down to tj tomorrow to do a revison from my lap band to plication. My band was great for the first 8 years but I have a slip/stretched pouch and choose plication as the revision due to a lower BMI and not wanting to lose part of my stomach. I have lost 16 lbs pre-surgery diet - not a fan of this - but ready to have the proceedure ...will send an update after surgery...thanks so much for sharing...

D

Oops sorry newbie, I hit the send by mistake. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it really helps to see the similarities and struglles after having plication. I also need to meet with the nutritionist to learn how to eat healthy and earn to create a menu with the correct amt of calories and still loose weight. I am learning to read labels but for now I am selecting sugar free and looking closely at fat content. I have completely given up sodas and coffee and I think I'm going to try to stay that way for now but thanks for sharing the chai incident because I also enjoyed chai coffee and tea from Starbucks - I will definitely avoid for now. I will let you know how it goes! Good Luck with your transition and yes, the bike is good also stationary or not - anything to get our metabolism burning!! Take Care and keep me updated on your progress.

Donna,

Hope all goes well - keep updating since either this procedure is new or most people go for the gastric sleeve. I onlyn learned about the plication from my surgeon when he informed me I could not have the sleeve. Wishing you the best and a successful recovery.

Good luck to all the plication patients! quick synopsis of my surgery: plicated 3-25-2011 lost 41 lbs as of today which is about 3 months 2 weeks out.. i can eat just about anything i want in very smal portions.. my craving for food has changed completely...some weeks i lose nothing.. some weeks i lose up to 4 lbs.. not exercising much at all.. i have 39lbs to go.. im a slow looser but, im loosing

Hi,

Just trying to find out if anyone can share with me their weight loss journey with the gastric plication procedure. I had mine done on June 8, 2011 at Jackson South in Miami. I am currently on stage 3 eating pureed foods and am walking only 30 minutes a day, I weighed 268 pds and have lost 20 pds, currentlly weighing 248. I have not craved and have totally forgotten about soft drinks which I thought was going to be the hardest thing to do, however I find my most difficult battle is my mind and craving foods I use to enjoy. I am so committed to changing my eating habits and eat healthier that I made an appt with a psychologist specializing in eating disorders just in case I am not aware of any issue I may have with food that brought me to where I am today.

I read about the person who had the gastric plication surgery problem and ended up in the emergency room and it's good to know the symptoms in case something does not feel right.

I would really appreciate reading about others plication surgery success or concerns.

barbi2000

Hi Barbi,

I had sleeve plication and am sharing in more detail then I can put here over on my blog. Stop by for a visit! I am celebrating losing 17 pounds in 17 days with a $20.00 Starbucks card give away.

http://morethenonereason.blogspot.com/

Hi there,

I am really happy for you and your weight loss journey. But I do not appreciate your spamming messages in ALL threads and forums here! You can just start a thread and talk about yourself and promote your blog, but please stop these chain postings in every single thread in this forum... Let's please stay relevant and also courteous of others who take the time to start a thread to talk about a particular topic...

That's just my personal opinion and may not necessarily reflect those of SleevePlicationTalk.com's administrators.

I totally agree with you I wanted to tell her the same but I din't had the guts to do so, I'm happy that you told her.You go Bpdude