Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the surgery itself is not bad, the only time i got sick was waking up the next morning (from anesthesia), but NO pain. good doctor... Dr. Ortiz

I dropped 30 pounds within a month and haven't lost a pound since.

I haven't felt restriction lately - and i'm starting to wonder if i busted a stitch or something...

It has only been like 2 months for me so i guess if i keep losing ill be glad i did it, but if i don't lose anything else it will be the biggest $$$ mistake of my life!!!

Highest weight 252 (November 2010)

Surgery weight 234 (April 20 2011) Plication w. Dr. Ortiz

Current weight 204 (June 17, 2011)

nice to meet you guys!

kim

Hi Kim, I very much doubt you've busted a stitch, as I'm sure it'd really hurt an awful lot. I've not had much restriction or weight loss from one month out and I've not pushed things to the point of being sick even once since surgery. Sadly this seems to be true of many of us I'm afraid. sad.gif

That's a tough one. The only other option I might've got was VSG, but I was really on the borderline of BMI 30 for getting plication so I doubt my surgeon would've done it (he wanted to band me as it was).

The duodenal switch (DS) really is a very effective procedure for those that qualify, but you have to be BMI 35 with 2 co-morbidities or BMI 40. I do have DS envy as it's the only WLS where you don't spend the rest of your life on a low cal diet (you just have to try and keep your carbs low and get in lots of Vitamin pills).

When did you have surgery? And how much did you lose?

Do you wish you would have saved your money? Or got a different procedure?

BTW I lost 17.5lbs, but if I hadn't got the plication I'm sure I'd sit there thinking 'if I had GPS...' and 'it may fail some, but I'm a "lightweight" and if I can lose over 40lbs on my own how much could I lose with WLS'. So at least it's stopping thinking 'if only'.

I think that people really need to be brave and go for the most effective WLS that's available to them and not think that they'll be the person to beat the stats - that's both in the short and long term (you have to remember that it's always easy to regain once you're no longer feeling restriction).

That's a tough one. The only other option I might've got was VSG, but I was really on the borderline of BMI 30 for getting plication so I doubt my surgeon would've done it (he wanted to band me as it was).

The duodenal switch (DS) really is a very effective procedure for those that qualify, but you have to be BMI 35 with 2 co-morbidities or BMI 40. I do have DS envy as it's the only WLS where you don't spend the rest of your life on a low cal diet (you just have to try and keep your carbs low and get in lots of Vitamin pills).

I dropped 30 pounds within a month and haven't lost a pound since.

I haven't felt restriction lately - and i'm starting to wonder if i busted a stitch or something...

It has only been like 2 months for me so i guess if i keep losing ill be glad i did it, but if i don't lose anything else it will be the biggest $$ mistake of my life!!!

kim

Hi Kim,

I am 6 weeks out. Lost 12 lbs very quickly, stalled for two weeks, lost six lbs, have been stalled (and even put on a lb or so) for most of June and have been very upset, but I have started losing again. I don't know what to think or say, because as you can see from some of my recent posts, I have been very worried about not losing anymore as some others have experienced. This long stall thing, and then losing in short fast spurts, is strange to me. I didn't believe I was going to start losing again, but I did...could you just be in a long stall? I'm happy I am starting to lose again, although we will see for how long and how much I actually lose, but I am still not sure how I feel about the whole situation. I have though, always felt restriction. I can eat large amounts of certain foods, but most things I can feel a pretty decent restriction with. I have never gotten sick, even in the hospital, but sometimes I hurt if I eat too much. I know what you mean about thinking that this might be the biggest $$ mistake of your life. I guess time will tell...

BTW, my weights were similar to yours Kim. Highest weight about 270, surgery weight about 260, current weight 238. Not exact, but similar enough to give you an idea of where I came from. You lost the 30 lbs very quickly...could your body just be taking a break to adjust?

I hope so chow chow! That would be a great start if it continues i will be thrilled. Glad to know it hurts when you pull stitches. I haven't had any real discomfort i guess. I'm 5 sessions in w a personal trainer. But we are starting w strength training. No real cardio yet like spinning or running. I'm also reading lots about maybe I'm not taking in enough calories or fat. The reasoning seems logical. Handy bits of info on here ;)) Leena sorry that happened to you. I love dealing w dr Ortiz but some of his staff i just brush off. Sorry if this gets posted 100 times my iPhone is glitching!

I hope so chow chow! That would be a great start if it continues i will be thrilled. Glad to know it hurts when you pull stitches. I haven't had any real discomfort i guess. I'm 5 sessions in w a personal trainer. But we are starting w strength training. No real cardio yet like spinning or running. I'm also reading lots about maybe I'm not taking in enough calories or fat. The reasoning seems logical. Handy bits of info on here ;)) Leena sorry that happened to you. I love dealing w dr Ortiz but some of his staff i just brush off. Sorry if this gets posted 100 times my iPhone is glitching!

I really think maybe I have been eating too little calories. I took FattoPhat's advice and upped my intake, and I seem to be losing again. Maybe it's coincidence, but I'm hoping that was the reason.

How much calories a day started you losing again? Between meals and liquids i dunno when I'll be able to get more of anything in me... Set my alarm for 4am lol

Again, it might just be coincidence, but I was getting around 1200 and added a couple hundred more approximately.

I really think maybe I have been eating too little calories. I took FattoPhat's advice and upped my intake, and I seem to be losing again. Maybe it's coincidence, but I'm hoping that was the reason.

Yahoo!! Happy Dance!! I'm SO glad to hear you are starting to lose again!! I know how frustrating it can be when you are doing everything right and nothing is budging on the scale. Our bodies are so weird, I still haven't figured it out. I had a "bad" day yesterday and ate potato chips AND chocolate and was still down another pound this morning. Go figure...

Yahoo!! Happy Dance!! I'm SO glad to hear you are starting to lose again!! I know how frustrating it can be when you are doing everything right and nothing is budging on the scale. Our bodies are so weird, I still haven't figured it out. I had a "bad" day yesterday and ate potato chips AND chocolate and was still down another pound this morning. Go figure...

I actually gave myself a "gimmee" day since we were celebrating, and ate out at Longhorn Steakhouse (although I had chicken and only a small portion) but I had chocolate and was bad...and I'm down almost a lb. today too! Thanks for the encouragement! I'm actually starting to see some patterns to my stalls and losses, so maybe next time I won't feel so bad when it happens.

Kimmy.. I feel you.. go back to some of my old posts two months out and I swear people on the board were talking me off the ledge. I dont eat very much at all.. REALLY and my weight loss is slow. Im only down about 37 1lbs in 3 months but at least its down. Hang in there.. I know you must be disappointed but I wouldnt be surprised if you dropped 30 more in July since you are working out with a trainer and all. To be down 30 in two months is good. An average of 15lbs a month though you really only lost the first month. Keep up with your Water and exercise and I bet the lbs will start to melt away.

It helped when my sister reminded me that I have always been a slow weight loser. When I was on Atkins, following it to a T without cheating, I was a slow loser. I used to think that I had some "metobolic resistence to weight loss".. Some Atkins term. Im just a slow loser. Hang in there.. Im pulling for you!

Thanks! Glad to hear your still losing. I stuck at 204 for a whole month and just this week dropped another 5 pounds so i guess maybe it'll be in spurts... I don't care how it falls off as long as it does! I'll keep ya posted ;)