Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Things you Don't Know About Gastric Plication

Saw this article and thought it was interesting. Most of it was the usual info we see, but some of it was new to me.

"5 Things you Don't Know About Gastric Plication

•Gastric Plication is a new option in the Bariatric surgery segment and there is a very keen interest of self paying weight loss surgery patients to consider this new option. Here are few important facts that might help you in better understanding.•It is now clinically proved that Gastric sleeve Plication is a better option than any other weight loss surgery. Researchers from Brazil conducted a clinical trail on 66 bariatric patients. Initial clinical reports demonstrate satisfactory weight loss up to three years with the lowest early complication rates among all bariatric procedures. No major complications were reported among all the 66 patients. The researchers also found that the greater curvature folds get smaller with time. Please refer the initial research report published in Bariatric Times(link mentioned in the resource box)

•The process in said to be 'Minimally invasive'. Minimally invasive does not indicate being safer and easier. It means that the process is less invasive than the open surgeries. The dangers of opening of sutures and internal bleeding etc though less but are still there.

•It may be a better option for adolescents as Gastric Sleeve Plication surgery doesn't causes mal-absorption of eaten food. Therefore if the operated adolescent is on a balanced diet, nutritional problems might not appear.

•Though Gastric Plication is clinically proved to be a better option, it is always advisable to consult the doctor and find out about the best surgery that suits you. Medical Tourism Corporation advises its patients not to take any decision without consulting the doctors. Gastric Sleeve Plication might not be suitable for you because of the co-morbid conditions you have. The doctor can help you in identifying the surgery according to your health condition.

•This procedure is still in its experimental phase. The long term effects of this procedure are still unknown. The clinical trials and surgeries performed till date however haven't demonstrated any such harmful effects. The benefits in all cases overcome the complications of obesity.

The clinical trail report mentioned in the body was published in Bariatric Times."

Saw this article and thought it was interesting. Most of it was the usual info we see, but some of it was new to me.

Thanks, it reminded me that, even though my weight loss is slower, I chose the plication because it was safer and I needed reminded of that!

Thanks, it reminded me that, even though my weight loss is slower, I chose the plication because it was safer and I needed reminded of that!

I think we all need reminders of that, and that is why it is so good that we are all here for each other! I cannot tell you how helpful it has been to talk to all of you guys on here, even though there are only a few of us.

I agree chowchows. I go to a Saturday support sometimes and I'm the only one who hasn''t had the RNY. Let alone the plication. I was explaining my surgery to someone today and just said it was the vertical sleeve not mentioning the plication. They wouldn't understand. It's good to talk to you guys when we can relate to each other.

I think we all need reminders of that, and that is why it is so good that we are all here for each other! I cannot tell you how helpful it has been to talk to all of you guys on here, even though there are only a few of us.

I agree chowchows. I go to a Saturday support sometimes and I'm the only one who hasn''t had the RNY. Let alone the plication. I was explaining my surgery to someone today and just said it was the vertical sleeve not mentioning the plication. They wouldn't understand. It's good to talk to you guys when we can relate to each other.

I feel like many people on the other boards are snarky towards people who have plication, if not downright jerkish towards us! I didn't feel very welcome on most of them, and hence did not post on most of them. I kind of like that our surgery is new, and we're kind of trend setters...but having said that, each surgery was new at some point. I think most of us put a lot of though and research into our surgery, and had very good reason(s) for picking it over others. For me it was the only one that made sense. Before I had any knowledge of WLS, I thought I wanted the Band, however it did not take me long to realize that wasn't for me. Each of the other surgeries also didn't 'fit' me, and the only one that I was ok with was plication. Some days I get frustrated with issues about it, but I wouldn't have any of the other surgeries.

I went to see my gynecologist today who also works part time in a medical weight loss clinic. She has been very supportive of my surgery and told me today that, despite what I think is slow weight loss, I was "right on track" and she thought I was doing great. It made me feel a lot better about it.

Everything in this article was familiar to me exept he part about the "greater curvature folds get smaller over time." What does that mean? I hope it means that my stomach will get even smaller! I get so nervous about it stretching out.

Everything in this article was familiar to me exept he part about the "greater curvature folds get smaller over time." What does that mean? I hope it means that my stomach will get even smaller! I get so nervous about it stretching out.

That's the impression I got about the stomach getting smaller...I'm sure that doesn't apply if one was to continually overeat, but to me it's saying that it will get smaller if you abide by the eating rules.

I feel like many people on the other boards are snarky towards people who have plication, if not downright jerkish towards us! I didn't feel very welcome on most of them, and hence did not post on most of them. I kind of like that our surgery is new, and we're kind of trend setters...but having said that, each surgery was new at some point. I think most of us put a lot of though and research into our surgery, and had very good reason(s) for picking it over others. For me it was the only one that made sense. Before I had any knowledge of WLS, I thought I wanted the Band, however it did not take me long to realize that wasn't for me. Each of the other surgeries also didn't 'fit' me, and the only one that I was ok with was plication. Some days I get frustrated with issues about it, but I wouldn't have any of the other surgeries.

I agree with you wholeheartedly chowchows! When I was doing research on what kind of WLS would be best for me personally I found a lot of negativity about the plication...and even now when I look at other forums and people are wondering about plication and if its a good option, there's a lot of snark directed at them. I originally wanted the band too but didn't want to deal with the fill/unfill stuff, plus my insurance covered NOTHING obesity related at all...my BMI was 34 (had many co-morbidities though, apnea, high cholesterol, prediabetes) so RnY and the Sleeve seemed too invasive...plication fit the bill for me too. I applaud anyone's choice of surgeries for getting healthier and slimmer...but I don't care to get criticized for mine...if I wanted that I'd call my mother-in-law, lol.

Ty for this thread since there seems to be no one in here, I go to the other sleeve forum, n yea, they seem to think their surgery is the best, and ours to many complications, one of the threads did mention the sutures could scrape And cause infection. ..

Anybody have this prob,,, I am looking forward to my date, I still feel this is the best for me,,