Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you deal with social situations after WLS?

I have been fairly open about having the surgery, however, there are a few people that I encounter in my life that I do NOT want to know. How do you deal with a social situation where people are eating, when you know you have to watch what/how much you eat, and cannot drink while eating? I'm afraid that situation may come up soon, and I'm not sure what to say/do at this point.

When you food combine you don't mix food and drink, so if you're not having any carbs, just Protein and vegetables, you could say you're food combining.

To explain away the smaller portions you could say you're watching your diet or ate something earlier. HTH.

Thanks, haven't heard of food combing, but I will use that. I'm ok with some family and close friends knowing, but I really don't want to advertise it in my professional life. One (of many) reasons I had the surgery is to help me further my career, so I certainly don't want to give anyone a reason to discriminate against me. I know some people feel like WLS is cheating, so I would just rather not go there.

I've been quiet surprised how few people have actually noticed when I eat differently. The first time I ate with other people after surgery was a big family picnic. No on really noticed because it was potlock. I brought My own food mostly but did have some of what was there. When you go to restaurants, order a Water but you don't have to drink it. . The waiter gave me a funny look the first couple of times I ordered nothing so now I order water and it just sits there.

I have been fairly open about having the surgery, however, there are a few people that I encounter in my life that I do NOT want to know. How do you deal with a social situation where people are eating, when you know you have to watch what/how much you eat, and cannot drink while eating? I'm afraid that situation may come up soon, and I'm not sure what to say/do at this point.

I agree that most people don't even notice what I'm eating, they are usually too concerned with what they're eating.

However, if there is a potluck or buffet type meal, I will usually put a variety of food on my plate. Most people at work know I'm trying to lose weight (but don't know about WLS) so they don't usually ask questions.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - just choose a variety of Protein and veggies and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the tips! I am going out to eat for the first time next week, and feeling a little nervous. Who would have thought that going out to eat would make ME nervous, ha-ha! I used to be the queen of going out to eat!

Do you know where you're going yet? Maybe we can make some suggestions. I have an idea for McDonalds. (I do daycare and I take the kids there.) You can have a grilled chicken breast. Very tasty I might add.

Thanks for the tips! I am going out to eat for the first time next week, and feeling a little nervous. Who would have thought that going out to eat would make ME nervous, ha-ha! I used to be the queen of going out to eat!

Do you know where you're going yet? Maybe we can make some suggestions. I have an idea for McDonalds. (I do daycare and I take the kids there.) You can have a grilled chicken breast. Very tasty I might add.

I'm going to a Mexican restaurant. Kind of a business dinner. Any suggestions appreciated!

I'm going to a Mexican restaurant. Kind of a business dinner. Any suggestions appreciated!

Fajitas without the tortillas

well, my cousin, who is my age and very competitive with me like when we were kids, actually drove me to the airport for my surgery.. i would never , never tell her about my surgery well, because she generally gets on my nerves and makes me sick most times.. she thought i was going to see some dude out of state. if she knew she would judge the heck out of me.. im down 30 lbs and she hasnt noticed one pound lost on me... whenevever we are together all she talks about is her 10lbs weight loss and lies about her size...im thinking.. ichbay, im down 30 and you dont even notice? haters, i tell you... i had to explain to my mother and her sister, my nosy auntie on Easter Sunday why I wasnt partaking in the dinner.. they both cried saying I should have felt comfortable enogh to let them know and i should not have gone to Mexico by myself.. im thinking if you all were not so dang negative and close minded, i may have told you, but too late now!

well, my cousin, who is my age and very competitive with me like when we were kids, actually drove me to the airport for my surgery.. i would never , never tell her about my surgery well, because she generally gets on my nerves and makes me sick most times.. she thought i was going to see some dude out of state. if she knew she would judge the heck out of me.. im down 30 lbs and she hasnt noticed one pound lost on me... whenevever we are together all she talks about is her 10lbs weight loss and lies about her size...im thinking.. ichbay, im down 30 and you dont even notice? haters, i tell you... i had to explain to my mother and her sister, my nosy auntie on Easter Sunday why I wasnt partaking in the dinner.. they both cried saying I should have felt comfortable enogh to let them know and i should not have gone to Mexico by myself.. im thinking if you all were not so dang negative and close minded, i may have told you, but too late now!

Was in a social situation last night where there wasn't really much I should be eating. I just picked at my food, and had a few bites of things I wasn't supposed to, because I felt like everyone would be asking me if ate nothing. Regretted it afterwards!

I didn't tell any of my family before my surgery...knew they would freak out. Have only told my mother post surgery...the rest of them would just use it as gossip fodder and to put me down, so I said no way to telling them!

I am SO glad I've only told a very few people! I've noticed a couple of them looking me up and down each time they see me. Since the weight loss has been slow, I always feel self concious when they do that. They're probably thinking "Well, she hasn't lost much! She must really be sabotaging this weight loss surgery thing!" or something like that.

I am SO glad I've only told a very few people! I've noticed a couple of them looking me up and down each time they see me. Since the weight loss has been slow, I always feel self concious when they do that. They're probably thinking "Well, she hasn't lost much! She must really be sabotaging this weight loss surgery thing!" or something like that.

I've thought about that now that I realize the weight loss isn't going to be as fast as I thought. I don't want the few people who know thinking, "well, she can't even do this right", and you know how most people think WLS is a super simple, magical, instant answer.

well' date=' my cousin, who is my age and very competitive with me like when we were kids, actually drove me to the airport for my surgery.. i would never , never tell her about my surgery well, because she generally gets on my nerves and makes me sick most times.. she thought i was going to see some dude out of state. if she knew she would judge the heck out of me.. im down 30 lbs and she hasnt noticed one pound lost on me... whenevever we are together all she talks about is her 10lbs weight loss and lies about her size...im thinking.. ichbay, im down 30 and you dont even notice? haters, i tell you... i had to explain to my mother and her sister, my nosy auntie on Easter Sunday why I wasnt partaking in the dinner.. they both cried saying I should have felt comfortable enogh to let them know and i should not have gone to Mexico by myself.. im thinking if you all were not so dang negative and close minded, i may have told you, but too late now![/quote']

I know that you wrote this some time ago, and I came in here reading what everyone has written, and yours kinda made me laugh, because I know many people like your cousin. I just had this done 5 weeks ago. I was wondering if you had success with it, and how it has turned out for you? Please any info would be appreciated. I just want to know how people who have done it over a year ago, if it has been a success for them?

I had my surgery in April...lost 53 pounds so far....I would like another 25...we will see. I chose to only tell a few family members, and swore them all to secrecy! I have several very close friends...but I knew they would be against this surgery...and be very concerned for me. They have watched me go up and down in weight... on so many different new fad diets...without any lasting success...so I wouldn't really blame them if they were to feel that way...I totally would understand. It has been almost 4 months now, and they are all shocked at my weight loss....and I think a bit suspicious !! They have watched me eat only a few bites of our meals when we are out together...and i hear them whisper to each other...wondering if Im ok, and what diet am I REALLY doing now. I just tell them that I am trying to eat like a skinny person...that my (pre-op) diet, with Protein Shakes & 1 meal...has shrunk my stomach...which in turn allows me to feel satisfied quicker..etc...They are accepting that for now..so ...so far so good!! I know that I will keep loosing...but it is slower now...so I think that they will not notice as much...hopefully. I was a size 18, and I am now a size 12. Last month I lost 8 pounds.