Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Frustrated after seeing Dr Today Need Help on Vertical Sleeve

So I had my first appt with the surgeon today. I was pretty excited. My weight was right where it needed to be my BMI was 40.4 and insurance doesn't require anything if its 40 or greater. So I was in there for over an hour going over everything when she said OH you have Chrone's and I was like yes. Then she said sorry you cannot have gastric bypass. I almost started crying I was devastated. She went on to tell me how dangerous it was because your intestines are manipulated and I already have a high risk of needing resection in the future. So she said you can get the Lapband or Vertical Sleeve since neither affect your intestines. The is NO way I want a band with all I have read on it and when they doctors say the data on it now shows its not proven affective. So my only choice in the sleeve. I've spent months researching bypass and no nothing about this. She went ahead and submitted to my insurance today for the surgery so if I do want it they will already have things started. Then at 4:50 BCBS called saying they got the insurance approval forms and they would have it processed before the end of the week. I just feel so miserable. Can anyone give me advice on the sleeve has it worked for you or failed. Thanks so much

Well I haven't had the sleeve so I can't give you a first-hand report but I can tell you that virtually all of the research that I've read (which is considerable) is very positive. The sleeve is safe, effective, lower complication rate and considered less invasive than RnY. Like you, I'm not a fan of the band but the sleeve is an excellent alternative. You're gonna love the new you!!

AND you can get lots of first hand advice from RNYTalk.com's sister site, VertialSleeve.com. Here's a link:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/

So my surgeon (that did my band, band removal, and RNY) will not do a band on anyone with crohn's or other autoimmune disorders. There's a theory (I don't know if studies prove it or its just a theory) that inserting a foreign body (in this case a lap band) into the body of someone with an autoimmune disorder will cause worsening of the autoimmune disorder and that the body can attempt to attack and eradicate the foreign body causing inflammation and other various rejection symptoms.

I'm not a doctor, nor did I sleep at a holiday inn express last night, but I was a miserable lap-band patient....I won't say don't do it but I will say research like crazy before you make that decision. There is also a lap band talk forum...but they're kinda mean if you don't agree with everything you say or don't support the lap band 100%. VERY different from RNYtalk :/

Good luck!!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 199

The vertical gastric sleeve surgery is what actually got me to consider weight loss surgery to begin with, after my husband had been bringing it up for 2 years prior. The weight loss is supposedly faster, but tapers off sooner than gastric bypass. I was going to have VSG myself until the surgeon did my EDG and said it wasn't an option for me (I have an unusually shaped stomach). So for the first 4 months on this journey I spent all my time over at gastricsleeve.com and it was an awesome forum with wonderful people. Highly recommend checking it out.

The vertical gastric sleeve surgery is what actually got me to consider weight loss surgery to begin with' date=' after my husband had been bringing it up for 2 years prior. The weight loss is supposedly faster, but tapers off sooner than gastric bypass. I was going to have VSG myself until the surgeon did my EDG and said it wasn't an option for me (I have an unusually shaped stomach). So for the first 4 months on this journey I spent all my time over at gastricsleeve.com and it was an awesome forum with wonderful people. Highly recommend checking it out.[/quote']

I just have to say I love your posts, you always make me smile :)

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 199

I just have to say I love your posts' date=' you always make me smile :)

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 199[/quote']

Thanks, SoccerMomma :-) :-) :-). Great bunch of folks here.

Don't lose hope. The sleeve is just as effective as the RNY procedure. There is only a 5% - 10% difference between them weight loss wise (depending on which chart you are looking at).

I would def. chose the sleeve over Lapland if I was in your situation.

Most surgeons are refusing the Lapland procedure because of how high the complication rates with it are. I'm surprised the Lapband has not been banned yet.

Thanks so much for the comments. I did go to the VS forum hoping to get some good info like I have on here. I am definitely not getting the band so the sleeve is my only option. I'm hoping I can get excited about it and succeed.

I, too, am a band to RNY patient. I didn't have a hard time with my band (they ruptured it during a fill) but I never lost weight with it either. I've lost more in 10 weeks than i did in 4 years of band life. With that being said, I would choose sleeve. But do your research and make the decision best for you! I know at least 5 ppl in my support group had the sleeve and have had great success. Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the comments. I did go to the VS forum hoping to get some good info like I have on here. I am definitely not getting the band so the sleeve is my only option. I'm hoping I can get excited about it and succeed.

You'll be just fine. I was sleeved on 8/12, but I was apart of the 1% to have complications (had to revise to RNY). All of those from Vertical Sleeve Talk who were sleeved with me are doing very well.

Good luck to you! ;-)

I was also sleeved December 13, 2012 and reached my goal weight before I was revised to the RNY on August 16th for GERD/reflux reasons. My surgery weight was 218.2 and my goal weight was 145 but I was 140 when I had my RNY surgery in August. Since then I am 133. The sleeve was great for me weight-wise, but I did have several complications so as long as you go into it knowing that there are risks no matter which route you choose, and research, research, research, and trust your surgeon completely, you will do great. Any time I can answer any other questions for you, let me know. I wish you well!

Niki

I also considered the Sleeve. I opted for RNY because it's been around longer and I tend to be addicted to sugar so I wanted the possibility of dumping as a motivation to stay away from the stuff. The weight loss is slower which can be a positive thing and the expected weight loss is about a 10 to15lb difference from RNY.

http://www.obesitycoverage.com

AND you can get lots of first hand advice from RNYTalk.com's sister site' date=' VertialSleeve.com. Here's a link:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/[/quote']

Like Dl said, check with the vertical sleeve website you'll get all the support you need there. I had just the opposite: I've planned all year for the sleeve then my surgeon said she WON'T do it because I have reflux but she'll do the bypass. I wasn't having that without a second opinion so I switched surgeons. The one I have now is the directir of baratric surgery at Bon Secours (might as well get the tip dog in charge..lol)

He doesn't have a problem giving me the sleeve, said I may have an hernia which they can fix at the same time. I'm going to have G.I. test done this coming Monday & Tuesday and I'll know more when I go for my follow up on the 30th.

I like the sleeve because there's no rearranging of anything.

I have both apps. For the sleeve and here and depending on what I'm actually going to get I'll get support from both. Oct. 8th is my last PCP appt and it'll be time to submit all my paperwork for approval.

Best of luck to you.