Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is for anyone who went in for laparoscopic and it was changed to open

I've been told the main reason the surgery is turned to open is due to scar tissue. So I'd like to hear from you. What type of previous surgeries did you have. Lastly did the dr ever give a reason other than scar tissue. Thanks so much. I really appreciate the replies.

I cannot believe I've got replies :( I've seen several comments where people had open surgeries. I guess IMO being impatient

I cannot believe I've got replies :( I've seen several comments where people had open surgeries. I guess IMO being impatient

I don't personally know but there was another lady on here that just recently had that prob. She went in for laproscopic and when they went in, they couldn't see her stomach, due to scar tissue. They had to cut her all the way down and do it that way. It seemed to have more pain and def more recovery time.

Yes I've seen that I'm wanting to know hat prior surgeries they have had. I've had several so I was wanting to get an idea if I would be more likely to have open versus laparoscopic.

Yes I've seen that I'm wanting to know what prior surgeries they have had. I've had several so I was wanting to get an idea if I would be more likely to have open versus laparoscopic.

Oh okay. Sorry :)

That...I couldn't say.

That's a good question. I'd like to know just outta curiosity!

Good luck.

I have had several laperscopes due to ovarian cysts and a hysterectomy. They were able to do mine laperscopicly(sp) No issues

Previous surgery before WLS: complicated C-section

Surgery type: Lap.

At the time, the surgeon gave me no reason to believe he would switch to open surgery. I don't even remember him mentioning it.

Thanks for the replies. In all the paperwork for the surgeon it wanted previous surgeries. I have had my appendix removed, my gallbladder, a tubal and a complete hysterectomy. The nurse said I would probably have to have open :( I'm still trying to be hopeful and when I finally get to see the dr maybe he won't be sure. Fingers are crossed.

I had a gallbladder removal ( lap) and a complete hysterectomy (open). He spent an extra 45 minutes removing scar tissue but he was able to do the surgery lap.

That's encouraging. My lower stomach has huge scars. The appendix was open I have about a 6" scar from it and a 10" from my hysterectomy my gallbladder was lap I only have the 1" scars 3 of them. But I have had 4 lap surgeries through my navel. I just don't want to have an open surgery. I don't have anyone to help me with my kids and hubby won't take off work so I'm gonna keep positive lol.

I had a lap band and lap band removal,0. and the Dr prepared me that he may have to do a hand assist which requires a 2 1/2 inch scar coming up from belly button. He said in the very end of surgery he was having trouble seeing when he used the tool to join the pouch with the intestines so he made deduction to use the hand assist. This is not evasive as a full scar but does require a little more recovery. I'm 10 days put and could not lift a child, most days I take about. 2 hour nap, my energy level low. I know it's all up hill from here. Good luck and keep us posted.

This is an excellent question. I would love to see more folks chime in.

Years ago I had a partial hysterectomy. It was to be Lap but when I woke they ended up doing the opening just above my already C-section bikini scar instead of Lap. I really don't know if I took longer to heal cause I never really felt too bad.

I would definately hate to wake up to that again though. Mostly becasue I want to out of the hospital a soon as possible. I hate them cause I get no rest and if you can't rest, you can't heal.

Would a Band removal (at time of bypass or within a waiting period) have scarring that would force open surgery?

I've had 4 c sections , gall bladder removal , and no issues and never was told the surgery would be done any other way than laporscopic ...I would def talk to the surgeon more...