Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Smokers : Have you been told you have to stop smoking?

Smoking and the use of NSAIDS are among the most common causes strongly linked with post-op ulcers. As you can see from the replies above, your surgeon is likely in the minority of surgeons who do not require their patients to stop smoking. I've seen posts on the forum where surgeons have cancelled surgeries because a patient tested positive for nicotine. I like your idea - take advantage of this as a GREAT opportunity and motivation to quit smoking. I smoked for many years so I appreciate how difficult it is. But you're never going to have a better opportunity to make the change. You're gonna love the new you!!

I had to be smoke free for 3 months before surgery. I had a nicotine test preop as well. I will admit that I took a puff two weeks ago and about puked! I am almost certain I will never smoke again. My kids would KILL me! ;)

I have wanted to quit for years just never on my terms and I believe now since its completely my choice. I did ask if they would prescribe Chantix and they will so I will get it and fill it. I figured the week before surgery I'd start since I can still smoke the first week. I'm going to plan it where the day of surgery is the first day I'm not allowed to smoke so I will have a few days in the hospital not caring for one at all. I'm excited that I can get two health changing things at the same time. I wish I was the over nervous type and so stressed or I'd start trying to stop now but I have no support and I would probably go crazy alone right now. I'm just trying to be realistic. Thanks for all the comments I really appreciate it a lot.

I have wanted to quit for years just never on my terms and I believe now since its completely my choice. I did ask if they would prescribe Chantix and they will so I will get it and fill it. I figured the week before surgery I'd start since I can still smoke the first week. I'm going to plan it where the day of surgery is the first day I'm not allowed to smoke so I will have a few days in the hospital not caring for one at all. I'm excited that I can get two health changing things at the same time. I wish I was the over nervous type and so stressed or I'd start trying to stop now but I have no support and I would probably go crazy alone right now. I'm just trying to be realistic. Thanks for all the comments I really appreciate it a lot.

You may not have had any support in the past but - you do now. We're a very supporting group of folks!! You're gonna love the new you!!

Also remember that having good lung capacity is super important in recovery from the anesthesia... I was smoker for close to 20 years and tried to quit several times. When I was pregnant I didn't smoke at all but started again about year after giving birth... I quit again about 6 months ago, cold turkey; it is doable, but my hubby told me I was angry b##ch for about 2 weeks. I hope chantix works for you!!! Feel free to message me anytime, I know what you are going through!

You may not have had any support in the past but - you do now. We're a very supporting group of folks!! You're gonna love the new you!!

DL. Thank you so much you have no idea how much this has meant to me so far. I had my Dietician appt at 9 this morning and then at 10:30 my support group. Hubby got home about 30 minutes ago and I was still excited about things I learned I was wanting to share with him and about 2 minutes into me talking he just picked up his ipad and completely stopped listening to me. And I just thought I'd get on here and see what's going on a I see your post. Thanks so much I needed this today!!!

Also remember that having good lung capacity is super important in recovery from the anesthesia... I was smoker for close to 20 years and tried to quit several times. When I was pregnant I didn't smoke at all but started again about year after giving birth... I quit again about 6 months ago, cold turkey; it is doable, but my hubby told me I was angry b##ch for about 2 weeks. I hope chantix works for you!!! Feel free to message me anytime, I know what you are going through!

Ponchik thanks so much. I know it's not gonna be easy and yes I am sure I will be just wonderful to be around lol. But I will be home alone so no one to really get crappy with. Just me so I will get through it but I'm sure glad for the offer of messaging you I'm sure ill take you up on it.

DL. Thank you so much you have no idea how much this has meant to me so far. I had my Dietician appt at 9 this morning and then at 10:30 my support group. Hubby got home about 30 minutes ago and I was still excited about things I learned I was wanting to share with him and about 2 minutes into me talking he just picked up his ipad and completely stopped listening to me. And I just thought I'd get on here and see what's going on a I see your post. Thanks so much I needed this today!!!

You're certainly welcome and there really are a LOT of folks here anxious to offer support any time it's needed. If you haven't already, you might consider inviting hubby to a support group and even one or more doctor's appointments. There are a surprising number of stories of spouses "turning around" when they start to understand how life-changing this journey can be and how overwhelmingly the odds are in your favor of a successful outcome.

That sounded like my husband after all my appointments. Then he was lost after my surgery as to how to help or what I should and shouldnt do etc. Well needless to say I threw the book at him I got at class and told him to enjoy. He's been a lot more understanding and involved since. We had issues after the surgery and have worked through them but its very important to communicate during this process. Plus you have lots of people here that will offer advice and help throughout the whole thing.

HW:331 SW:319 11-26-12 CW: 196 8-16-13 GW:170

Ponchik thanks so much. I know it's not gonna be easy and yes I am sure I will be just wonderful to be around lol. But I will be home alone so no one to really get crappy with. Just me so I will get through it but I'm sure glad for the offer of messaging you I'm sure ill take you up on it.

No worries, we are all swimming in the same waters on slightly different boats :) I agree with DL, there is bunch of folks here eager to help and share their experiences... My hubby never really got interested in my appointments and the surgery, but I am used to it already :) hope yours will show some interest soon! If you need to vent, you always have us :)

If you intend to do this stop smoking when I went to the first siminar they said if you smoke make the one you have on the way out your last. One lady made a disgusted noise and walked out but the way I see it sacrifice is soon to become a way of life better test your resolve now