Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back on Track at 51

Well I am off on my adventure to get my act together to lose my regained weight. I really want to be healthy. I will be 52 in November and I think I can have the regain off by end of year if I am diligent and disciplined. At that point I will decide if I want to lose more or maintain. I quit smoking a month ago so I can breath when I start walking again. Ha ha. I have bought a couple of short sets, some new walking shoes, a new headphone (wireless Bluetooth) and a strap to hold my phone around my arm so I can really move. I have went all the way back to basics....protein first, shakes, Water, etc. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

Good luck girlie... You got this!!!

Well I am off on my adventure to get my act together to lose my regained weight. I really want to be healthy. I will be 52 in November and I think I can have the regain off by end of year if I am diligent and disciplined. At that point I will decide if I want to lose more or maintain. I quit smoking a month ago so I can breath when I start walking again. Ha ha. I have bought a couple of short sets, some new walking shoes, a new headphone (wireless Bluetooth) and a strap to hold my phone around my arm so I can really move. I have went all the way back to basics....protein first, shakes, Water, etc. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

ok

How are you doing these days? I am 55 and I have recently been approved for surgery. Very excited to get on track myself! Just found this group. You know, "we aren't getting older we're getting better" (remember that old commercial)? Well, we ARE! :)

Yes we are. Ha ha. So do you have a date for surgery yet?

Hi! I just started the process but should have a better idea after my meeting this Thursday. Getting excited!

Got a few years on both of you and there are many older than me on the boards. It is never to late to change and work towards good health. I think it is even more important as we age, in order to keep our mobility and agility. The worst thing anyone can do is sit back and do nothing.

Good luck!

Very true! I agree :)

I hope to stay on track. My problem at this time is my body fighting against me. What I mean is that I was working and got injured on my job. I did a settlement and no longer has a job. I have to go in the hospital next week for a knee replacement but I am looking forward to a speedy recovery and reach the goal my Doctor wants me to lose 15 more pounds and keep it off. I started out weighing 240 then became stuck on 210 and stayed in this bracket for years. When my mother died my weight started to climb again and this frighten me so I started to find out about gastric by pass. The weight was very unhealthy for me and I had health issues. My gastric by pass was a success I lost 40 pounds so far with 15 or 20 more pounds to go. I am 58 years old.

I'm 55 and had surgery 1-13-14. Highest wt 515 surgery wt 448 today's wt 400. Goal 250. Only complications for me has been transition from full liquids to soft food. I get very nauseated especially in the mornings. I'm presently pureeing my food for a while. I'm glad I did it. Will be Evan happier when I get to goal. Good luck to you

Remember when Oprah turned 50? How her whole life came together and she was happier than ever in her own skin and she stated how great life was? Well, that is us now! We are that age and life is good and if it isn't we are working on making it better. I believe it is a great age and we are blessed to have all the mistakes and joys we have had and we are moving down on this journey smarter for it. Let's Celebrate us and have a healthy decade of the 50s!

I loved your post. So true! Life is good. Except for my weight, this is the happiest and best time of my life. I want my health tone the best too. Onward and upward while the scale goes downward! Lol I am scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks: June 20th. All the best to you too.

Hi! Love that comment about Oprah. So true!

I am 53, and going for surgery in one week! I am excited. Hoping I have gotten everything I need for when I get home from the hospital.

Flavored waters? Check. Bariatric Vitamins? Check. Protein powders and drinks? Check. Crystal light, Decaf teas, herbal tea, decaf coffee, sugar free Popsicles, mixer cup, sippy cups, Water bottle, S/F pudding, fat free Soup and broths.

Organize bedroom and nightstand.... Uh, not yet. And clean sheets!

Any other advise as I go to get reborn and start on the new me?

I am 51 and have my surgery next Wednesday. I can't wait to be able to do things like walking without breathing heavy. Not being stared at by strangers because of my size.

I have my Protein powders, chewable vitamins, mio Water with Vitamins along with a few different things to drink like broth.< /p>

I am 50 and am 9 yrs out from my RNY I have not been following the things that I was suppose to do. I am getting back on track and getting control of my health again. I have been sick for the last 6 months due to not eating right and not taking my supplements.< /p>

My son graduates from highschool in May and it's time for both of us to start the next chapter in our lives.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches