Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you fat as a kid?

Thanks, it's always interesting to hear people's "Fat History". I am surprised at the range of different stories. I figured there would be a lot of lifetime obesity cases, but apparently that's not the case.

With that said, I was always athletic and healthy, I didn't get literally, clinically OBESE until high school...

It is funny that so many of us were (and/or still are) athletic people.

I exercise more than anyone among my friends and am the one with the most active job, but I'm the fattest. It hardly seems fair. :)

I weighed 180 in the 4th grade. I struggled until 8th grade then managed to lose a lot of weight playing sports. I stayed trim until my senior year of high school. After high school I struggled because I didn't play sports anymore. Needless to say its been a battle ever since.

I was over 9lbs when I was born. A chubby child, had to shop at Sears in the "pretty plus" section. My mom made a lot of my clothes too. I was and am tall so I wore my weight well, but have never been skinny. I was about 30lbs from my ideal weight when I was 20 (did nutrisystem them). But, stopped that and gained all my weight back.

I don't know what it's like to shop for normal clothes. I want to put on a pair of jeans and look darned good in them!

You know...even though I'm married, I'd love to know if when I get to goal, if any other guy would look at me and think I was pretty! I don't hear it from my husband....guess that's why folks who lose weight also lose the extra baggage from an unsupportive spouse!!!

I think the thing is when we were kids - well in Australia anyway - we didnt have the appalling diet that kids today have. I grew up on healthy food, things like McDonalds were a treat we got only two or three times a year for birthdays or whatever, my kids eat Maccas way more often than that!

Our biggest indulgence was fish and chip night. I walked or rode my bike to school, I played softball and netball and tennis and trained for those sports as well. My leisure time was spent riding my bike around the neighbourhood, running around outside.

If someone runs this poll in 25 years time, I"ll bet money that a lot more people will say "yes, I was fat as a child". I see so many fat kids round these days.

Our lifestyle has changed so much. I feel very very lucky because we built a house in a new area that is more conducive to the kids having the same kind of lifestyle that I had. I hate living here to be honest, loathe everythign about this cookie cutter brick veneer suburb, but its fantastic for the kids. They hang around outside, they disappear after Breakfast, and come back for dinner. I know I'm the ONLY one amongst my friends and acquaintances whose kids have this freedom! Everyone else's kids are stuck indoors or in their own backyards and trotted out only for organised activities.

I think the thing is when we were kids - well in Australia anyway - we didnt have the appalling diet that kids today have. I grew up on healthy food, things like McDonalds were a treat we got only two or three times a year for birthdays or whatever, my kids eat Maccas way more often than that!

Our biggest indulgence was fish and chip night. I walked or rode my bike to school, I played softball and netball and tennis and trained for those sports as well. My leisure time was spent riding my bike around the neighbourhood, running around outside.

If someone runs this poll in 25 years time, I"ll bet money that a lot more people will say "yes, I was fat as a child". I see so many fat kids round these days.

Our lifestyle has changed so much. I feel very very lucky because we built a house in a new area that is more conducive to the kids having the same kind of lifestyle that I had. I hate living here to be honest, loathe everythign about this cookie cutter brick veneer suburb, but its fantastic for the kids. They hang around outside, they disappear after Breakfast, and come back for dinner. I know I'm the ONLY one amongst my friends and acquaintances whose kids have this freedom! Everyone else's kids are stuck indoors or in their own backyards and trotted out only for organised activities.

I agree! When I was younger there was nothing better than playing and running outside with friends. My 10 year old son loves being outdoors riding his bike or skateboard or just climbing up on a pile of dirt. He is gone for hours at a time and sometimes I have to go find him just to come in and get something to eat. I finally got walkie talkies with a 3 mile radius to keep up with him. He loves playing video games, but he gets bored with it really fast and would rather be outside with his friends. It's been been really cold here this past month and when it finally reached around 10 degrees I caved in and let him go outside because he was miserable sitting in the house. I hope he keeps this energy level as he gets older and doesn't end up becoming a coach potato like so many children today.

I've always been chubby, always. I never weighed myself when I was younger or in high school, so I couldn't tell you how much I weighed. My senior year in college I joined weight watchers at weighed in at 201. I got down to 184, which was my lowest weight ever, but only stayed there for a few months. Ever since then, no matter how much I dieted or exercised I could not get below 212. I got tired of working my butt off to just be fat so I gave up, and then woke up 5 years and 60 lbs heavier. Yikes!

What I also found is that years of dieting made me obsessed with food, and I developed a hugely dysfunctional relationship with it. Part of my journey with the band is to go back to have a "normal" relationship with food and to finally gain control over this part of my life.

I was at normal weight as a baby but that quickly changed. I can't ever remember being thin. I was always the "fat friend" of the group. It really sucks to always be the largest one. Needless to say, I (as many others here) have battled depression because of it. I remember being 230 as a freshman in high school. :mad: And I was active and my meals were never different from my friend's but I was always bigger. Looking at me now, people would never believed that I played softball growing up and was a star pitcher. Most summers, I played on at least 2 teams if not 3 but I was always larger than the other girls. I can't even imagine what I would look like thin but I will someday! I can't wait for the day when people don't recognize me!! :heh:

I weighed between six and seven pounds at birth, but I was also about 3 weeks early. I hit puberty the week I turned 10. Before that time, I was average. I thought I was fat, but when I look at pictures, I realize that I wasn't. My weight gain was fairly slow, but I think I eventually hit a point around 7th or 8th grade where I just started piling it on. I think I've had PCOS since I first started menstruating, so I think I eventually hit the tipping point where it was concerned. I think my PCOS made me tend to gain weight a little easier, and then I eventually got to the point where the weight I was gaining caused my PCOS to worsen, which then caused me to gain more weight. It became this vicious cycle.

i was thin until i hit about 6ish... i was then fed mayo sandwiches on white bread as a snack from my mom... couple years later, she is wondering what is really making me pack on the pounds - gee - i wonder??

i was taken to a nutritionist at about 8 or 9 years old, did weight watchers in high school (i know i was under 180), did nutrisystem when i was at 180 after high school. i wanted to get to 140. HA - now i'd love to be 180, in fact it's my goal.

i have progressively gone up and up until i hit about 420 a year or so ago, dropped down to 400ish (a kid will help in that area!!!) and my pre op weight was 402.5.

i am lucky, i've dropped about 80 pounds so far, but i have a very long way to go...

I was always a fat/obese kid. I was more active, but had to special order clothes or have them hemed. "Husky" jeans were my friend :lol: I was more active in high school, playing on the school tennis team and played some soccer, but always had to order bigger sized uniforms that anyone else. I am at a weight now that I have never been before, probably since middle school and was several inches shorter them. I am in a medium shirt and can't ever remember wearing that size. Its a fun exploration for sure. Unknown territory for sure.

I was always overweight, though looking at pictures of me as a kid it appears as though I was just "big boned." I do remember having to shop in the misses dept for a Christmas dress in fourth grade, and weighing 120 lbs in fifth grade, which is a lot. I was a size 14 in middle school and five feet tall and thought I was enormous. Ironic that I look back on those photos now and think I was insane not to want to model naked. It wasn't until I started working at a Dairy Queen in high school (while struggling with severe depression) that I became .... unreasonable. I went from 165 starting high school to graduating at 217. I lost some weight with weight watchers in college, but have gained back in the 2 years since and am pretty much at my all time high of 240. I've never known what it was like to buy clothes in a "normal" size.

Have you ever tried photo-shopping a picture of yourself to see what you'd look like thin? It's pretty cool, really. I took a profile photo of myself and then just erased the stomach, reduced the neck, smoothed the back. It was kind of a wishful thinking sneak peek. I'm very curious to see myself thin. Keep posting. :lol:

I weighed 8lbs, 8oz at birth. Looking back at pictures, I got fat around 3 years old. So, I have ALWAYS been fat. I don't remember being normal EVER.

I weighed 175 lbs in the 4th grade. I am tall, and I have always been, but that is NOT normal for someone in the 4th grade to weigh that much.

:phanvan My sister was a bag of bones until my mom started home schooling us (5th grade for her) She is now well over 400 lbs. We actually used to call her bones and it hurt me so bad that I didn't have a cute nick name like that!

My DH is morbidly obese, so I am doing all that I can to ensure that my daughter learns the correct way to eat.

I want her to stay active and know that exercise is a normal part of the day.

So, yep... I have ALWAYS been morbidly obese. It is weird to me to look somewhat normal now.

I find it interesting too that I feel wonderful now at 80 kg odd, yet when I weighed this at 16 I thought I was enormous. Compared to other girls I guess I was. Not more than a pound or two over the top of my healthy weigth range but not petite and slender either.

Now that I'm almost 40, all my more petite and slender peers have all had a couple of babies too and family life has taken its toll and now at 80kg, I am the object of envy, lol. All my friends are getting FAT as they get old, I'm pretty much in the minority being at a normal weight.

My mom told me that about 1/2 way through 1st grade, my teacher told her that she thought I was getting chubby. My mother said it took her a few months to agree. By 4th grade I was FAT.

I remember being soooo embarrassed when my mom made me get a training bra near the end of 4th grade :cry

I had 2 spinal surgeries for scoliosis when I was in the 7th grade. I know that I weighed 160lbs when the process started. After being in the hospital for a long time and having to be home schooled, with limited mobility while healing ... I was just over 200lbs when I started 9th grade. Plus the fusions on my back meant I wasn't going to grown in height any more. I'm 5'4" which is only an inch taller than I was before the surgery. My sister is 5'9" and my brother 6'1" - lol (I only know these exact #'s because I have my surgical records.)<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

I blame part of it on genetics, my brother and sister and a few of my cousins, aunts and uncles were/are larger. Polish family - lol. Plus my mother’s weight always went UP and DOWN ... usually one extreme or the other. She didn't set a good example for diet & nutrition. She was a bad cook (lots of hot dogs, mac-n-cheese, pizza, ice cream etc) and never really pushed any of us to play sports or even play outside.<O:p</O:p

The other part of my weight is depression and just being a lazy adult. Since I'm placing blame - lol - I'll also blame drinking too much and smoking too much pot in the past - lol - stupid munchies!<O:p</O:p

I really have no idea what I will look like "thin" ...I'm more worried about my mental state *if* I am actually ever able to get to a "normal" weight. I wish my insurance covered mental health - I think the band is going to force me to deal with some of my "issues"<O:p</O:p

*sigh*<O:p</O:p

<O:p

Its a fun exploration for sure. Unknown territory for sure.
Neal, it's interesting you say that. Through my local support group I've met two other women close to my age that "hang out" on occasion. Two of us were normal weight until later in life. The other was overweight for most of her life. We've had conversations about how the weightloss experience is different for us... from our perspective, we're getting our bodies back. We know what we *should* look like, we just haven't seen it in a while. From the perspective of the third lady, she's never seen herself thin. She has no idea what her "average" body looks like - whether or not she's hippy, the shape of her legs, what styles of clothing compliment her, etc. When you're wearing women's clothing as a child, I can see how you'd never know these things, and that has to be more than a little strange.