Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Take it from a guy who have 5 band surgey due to comps do the RNY hade me in jan and it was the decision I ever made down to 235 from 348 with no problems only had a couple bouts with dumping and it no fun but worth it in the end good luck to you hope this helps

I was banded back in '09. I'm now going for a revision. I have rare complications. My doctor tells me I'm only. 03% of people who get banded who have these complications. Tremors, memory and speech problems. Migraines and dizziness. Every time I get any type of fill these side effects start. So the band has been laying useless in me since about 8 months post op. My new surgeon also told me they are seeing so many band to bypass revisions coming across there tables. And even with the smallest amounts of fluids in my band right now I still can't eat bread, rice, Pasta or broccoli. If I do it gets stuck horribly. And since my surgery I haven't been able to throw up at all. Its hell if I have the stomach bug or just a bad stomach. It feels like my stomach is being ripped apart and the only thing that comes up is blood.

I was banded back in '09. I'm now going for a revision. I have rare complications. My doctor tells me I'm only. 03% of people who get banded who have these complications. Tremors' date=' memory and speech problems. Migraines and dizziness. Every time I get any type of fill these side effects start. So the band has been laying useless in me since about 8 months post op. My new surgeon also told me they are seeing so many band to bypass revisions coming across there tables. And even with the smallest amounts of fluids in my band right now I still can't eat bread, rice, Pasta or broccoli. If I do it gets stuck horribly. And since my surgery I haven't been able to throw up at all. Its hell if I have the stomach bug or just a bad stomach. It feels like my stomach is being ripped apart and the only thing that comes up is blood.[/quote']

OMG that sounds horrible ...god bless you glad you are getting that band out!

I was banded back in '09. I'm now going for a revision. I have rare complications. My doctor tells me I'm only. 03% of people who get banded who have these complications. Tremors, memory and speech problems. Migraines and dizziness. Every time I get any type of fill these side effects start. So the band has been laying useless in me since about 8 months post op. My new surgeon also told me they are seeing so many band to bypass revisions coming across there tables. And even with the smallest amounts of fluids in my band right now I still can't eat bread, rice, Pasta or broccoli. If I do it gets stuck horribly. And since my surgery I haven't been able to throw up at all. Its hell if I have the stomach bug or just a bad stomach. It feels like my stomach is being ripped apart and the only thing that comes up is blood.

God, that sounds horrible! All the best to you--I hope it gets better with your revision surgery. I have had some of the same complications, but no where near as bad as what you've been experiencing. Let me know how things go!

I had my band to RNY revision 5/1/13, and the surgeries are almost literally night and day. With the band it never felt any different to me than being on a diet. If I was "good", I would lose weight, if "bad", I gained. Except when I was about to get my period and would somehow get stuck on food eaten an hour ago and vomit to the point I saw stars. I hated that band from about a week post op until eternity.

With the pouch I haven't had issues eating anything provided I eat slowly. If there is a high Protein content and I eat it quicker than 30 minutes I get terribly nauseous. I have lost 23lbs since surgery which is more than I ever lost with the band.

I had my band to RNY revision 5/1/13, and the surgeries are almost literally night and day. With the band it never felt any different to me than being on a diet. If I was "good", I would lose weight, if "bad", I gained. Except when I was about to get my period and would somehow get stuck on food eaten an hour ago and vomit to the point I saw stars. I hated that band from about a week post op until eternity.

With the pouch I haven't had issues eating anything provided I eat slowly. If there is a high Protein content and I eat it quicker than 30 minutes I get terribly nauseous. I have lost 23lbs since surgery which is more than I ever lost with the band.

Kim67, I had about a 40 lb weight loss with band and I remember coming out of surgery and the pain (once I got home I was fine not too much discomfort)so now that you have had both would you mind comparing your pain and recovery time between the two, if you wouldn't mind. I'm really not looking forward to the pain (band coming out Thursday) and the pain in a couple of months for the bypass. Just want to know what to expect. By the way I have a high tolerance to pain and have been chewed out for not taking pain medication like I should.

oldoneyoungagain,

The pain after lap band was nothing, I never even took the pain meds after a few hours. I too have a high pain tolerance so after my RNY I was shocked by the amount of pain I was in. I had extensive scar tissue that had to be removed, plus I had both procedures done in one day, so my pain and recovery time were both more than I expected.

I stopped taking anything more than tylenol after a week, and was ready to go back to work after 2 (I am a nurse), but am actually still on medical leave due to minor complications with my lovely JP drain that is still in. I will be 3 weeks out tomorrow and feel great, and could most definitely be at work.

Is it just your surgeon's preference to do it in 2 steps? Or do they know you have a lot of scar tissue already?

Kim

That's awesome! Thanks so much!! :)

oldoneyoungagain,

The pain after lap band was nothing, I never even took the pain meds after a few hours. I too have a high pain tolerance so after my RNY I was shocked by the amount of pain I was in. I had extensive scar tissue that had to be removed, plus I had both procedures done in one day, so my pain and recovery time were both more than I expected.

I stopped taking anything more than tylenol after a week, and was ready to go back to work after 2 (I am a nurse), but am actually still on medical leave due to minor complications with my lovely JP drain that is still in. I will be 3 weeks out tomorrow and feel great, and could most definitely be at work.

Is it just your surgeon's preference to do it in 2 steps? Or do they know you have a lot of scar tissue already?

Kim

There reasoning is if there is a problem with the band, even if it just slipped, it has irritated the stomach so they want to give it time to heal. The other from what they said, is that area is weak, so when they have to staple it might not hold causing a leak. I am sure there has to be scar tissue as had my gallbladder taken out in 2001 even tho the gallbladder is on the right side they still used the same holes. I haven't talked with the doctor since the endoscopy and that was only a few words. No erosion, band slipped, and it has to be taken out. So Thursday it comes out. Thank you for telling me your experience, I just like to be prepared. Looking forward to the results of bypass but definitely not the surgery. Neither one in fact.

My doc planned a 1 surgical removal and revision but once he was in to removed the slipped damn band I had so much swelling and inflammation he wasn't comfortable doing the revision and sent me home to heal for 6 months. Later he told me the area he staples for the pouch had been so stressed and thinned out that he would not have been able to staple where he wanted and would have had to make a bigger pouch. I definitely didn't need a bigger pouch!!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 214.6

My doc planned a 1 surgical removal and revision but once he was in to removed the slipped damn band I had so much swelling and inflammation he wasn't comfortable doing the revision and sent me home to heal for 6 months. Later he told me the area he staples for the pouch had been so stressed and thinned out that he would not have been able to staple where he wanted and would have had to make a bigger pouch. I definitely didn't need a bigger pouch!!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 214.6

Basically that was what I was told yesterday by the psychologist and it made sense. I would rather be safe than sorry, so I actually don't mind waiting. Although I really don't want to wait too long but I will, won't have a choicel. I just know it will be a fight to maintain my current weight, plus I'm not strong in the will power area. Just don't want to have to lose it all over again. That is my main concern, weight gain without the band. The "damn band" is now actually working now that it has slipped. I really know when to stop eating, as it tells me. Go figure.

Basically that was what I was told yesterday by the psychologist and it made sense. I would rather be safe than sorry' date=' so I actually don't mind waiting. Although I really don't want to wait too long but I will, won't have a choicel. I just know it will be a fight to maintain my current weight, plus I'm not strong in the will power area. Just don't want to have to lose it all over again. That is my main concern, weight gain without the band. The "damn band" is now actually working now that it has slipped. I really know when to stop eating, as it tells me. Go figure.[/quote']

I had mine done the same day i hope he didnt make my pouch bigger yikes!

It is amazing how many band to RNY there are. My surgery will be 5/23 to remove it. Then have to wait a few months for bypass. One thing you said was "you failed the band". I want to think the band failed me or you as it seems to be doing with quite a few. Statistics are now even showing this' date=' as it is having a great failure rate. The doctors, I think, want to blame us but such a big numer have been playing by the book yet something happens, so my question is there a big problem with this type of surgery and the doctors don't want to admit it because this surgery is signs in their eyes. So good luck as I'm in your corner cheering for a speedy recovery and a fantastic weight loss for without any complications.[/quote']

Thank You and Good Luck to you also!

Hi Everyone!

I have made the decision to have revision surgery. I don't have a date yet, and am still deciding between RNY and sleeve.

I've had a lot of complications with my band in the 3 years since surgery. I have never managed to have restriction and still feel good and eat healthy foods. As soon as I have restriction, I get terrible acid reflux, night coughing/vomiting, and I can't eat anything but tortilla chips, crackers, etc. Even liquids won't go down unless I eat chips/crackers first.

I just don't like my band. I know I make poor food choices, but these are honestly the only things that go down easy and don't make me feel sick. I also hate the feeling of being "full" AND "starving" at the same time! Like I can't get anything down, but I'm still so hungry I'm light-headed, weak, and headachy. It's not head hunger, it's genuine physical hunger. But the food (or drink, even) won't go down. And that's even with just mild restriction. Then when my band is emptied, I feel totally fine. But I can also eat anything and everything...

It's just not working for me, and with the complications I had to get my band emptied for several months (lots of vomiting, went through a really bad phase). So now I've gained back a ton of weight, AND I feel uncomfortable all the time.

I am just wondering, will it be any better with RNY? Will I be able to eat fruit, vegetables, and meat? Will I be able to eat Breakfast and lunch? Or is tight in the morning like the band? Will I still feel that full AND starving at the same time feeling??

Any insight would be a great help!

Wow its scary reading this. Its like I'm speaking out to myself. I've had my band since 2006 and have gone through the same issues as you. Those night coughs and vomiting are the worst aren't they?! You get up in the morning feeling like death.

I had mine done the same day i hope he didnt make my pouch bigger yikes!

Mine would only have been bigger because of the slip and prolapse. If I'd had a normally placed and functioning band it would not have been an issue. Done in 2 steps I had an amazingly easy recovery from both surgeries and no complications at all. Trust my surgeons judgement after all this!!!