Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band scar tissue?

My surgery is this Thursday and I have been fine up till now... Holy moly am I a bundle of nerves all of a sudden! I keep worrying that something isn't going to go well and my surgery will get canceled or I won't end up with the bypass.

My latest fear is having too much scar tissue under my band and having to wait till it heals to get the bypass. I will be absolutely devastated if I wake up from surgery simply band less. I understand this would be for my health, but it would kind of feel like I had the procedure for nothing. I'm so scared. Please pray all goes well these next few days and in surgery. I'm so nervous that I can't focus on anything else. I just want to get to Thursday, have my operation, and know its all done. No band, have my bypass, and on to my new life. I don't know how if handle having to wait even longer.

I think we've talked before but if not, I'm that girl...the one that woke up with no band and no RNY....and it sucked and I was pretty sure my life was over :). However, here I am 8 months later, 2 months post RNY... You will likely be fine and dandy but if not, you'll still survive....I've been fat my entire life. I had to come to the realization that 6 more months wouldn't kill me....and it didn't. Life goes on, you'll get there, one way or another, sometimes the journey is just longer than we hoped for! Best of luck, the odds are in your favor!!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 223

And let me add...I've had like the easiest RNy recovery ever.....I have no doubt those 6 months helped!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 223

Oh wow! I can't even fathom how upset I'll be if that happens! Glad to hear you made it through to the rny side though! I haven't had any real problems with my band-- other than getting things stuck. I haven't had heartburn since I got it and never really experienced anything too awful so I'm hoping that means I don't have a ton of scar tissue. At this point it's just praying that God will bless me through this whether I get it or not (I'm just secretly hoping I will! Lol)..

I had revision last December and did have some scar tissue but my surgeon went ahead and completed a successful surgery. My pouch is about a centimeter bigger than he would have liked but he said I won't notice it and waiting wouldn't have helped. So far, so good. Good luck to you Thursday. I really believe your prayers will be answered.

You'll be fine, I had a slipped band and tons of inflammation, was a bit of a special case. If I'd just been a regular revision it would all been fine but I had the added drama of a prolapse stomach and urgent surgery :). I can never do things the way way! Try not to stress too much!!!!

I just had band to bypass six days ago. My doctor took four hours for the surgery instead of the hour and a half it was supposed to take. Partly because of having to rerepair a hiatal hernia, but he also said I had a lot more scar tissue than I should have and had a very difficult time getting my band out, but he went through with the rny and has not mentioned anything about having to make my pouch any bigger.

Thanks ladies. You are easing my fears a bit. I guess I am having some "worst case scenario" kind of moments. I'm so nervous and excited that I'm afraid all my excitement will be for not. I just can't wait to wake up from surgery and move on! Lol

My surgery is this Thursday and I have been fine up till now... Holy moly am I a bundle of nerves all of a sudden! I keep worrying that something isn't going to go well and my surgery will get canceled or I won't end up with the bypass.

My latest fear is having too much scar tissue under my band and having to wait till it heals to get the bypass. I will be absolutely devastated if I wake up from surgery simply band less. I understand this would be for my health' date=' but it would kind of feel like I had the procedure for nothing. I'm so scared. Please pray all goes well these next few days and in surgery. I'm so nervous that I can't focus on anything else. I just want to get to Thursday, have my operation, and know its all done. No band, have my bypass, and on to my new life. I don't know how if handle having to wait even longer.[/quote']

Wannabeawifey I did have a ton of scar tissue and adhesions and still awoke with a bypass. Every surgeon is different some get the band removed heal and then bypass some get a conversion all in one. Whatever he/she decides when they are in will be the right thing for you:-) Hang in there.

weight.png

Hi.

I am having my band removed and gastric bypass done in about 10 days.

I'm just wondering if you all had to have open surgery when you went from one to the other?

My surgeon says it will be safer because he needs to have a good look and doesn't want to leave any sutures etc.

I'm trying not to think about it too much (to no avail lol).

When I had the band (four years ago) my stomach was perforated and several days after having the op I found myself in agony and having emergency open surgery and the band was taken out. The next 10 days were really, really bad physically and mentally.

Because I have a bit of a bad back I always sleep on my side and turn every half hour or so. With the abdominal surgery I couldn't do that and found myself not being able to sleep for several days.

I'm fearful I will find myself in the same situation but will just have to endure it.

Anyhow... enough whining... did most of you have to have open surgery and how bad was the first few days recovery?

Thanks

PS Good luck to those who are coming up to their revision. Here's wishing us all a better trip then with the band ;)

PPS Oh forgot to mention I had another band put in a few months after the initial mess.

Mine was laparoscopic..no problems! Good luck!!!!

Mine was also laparoscopic.

I wish mine was going to be. Because 'they've' already been in there three times he said it makes it too difficult to do keyhole. Bummer.

I've had gallbladder removal, lap band, urgent lap bed removal with a ton of scar tissue and inflammation and then my RNY....no issues at all doing the RNY lap....