Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

List of Band to Bypass Patients

Was looking to see if their is a list anywhere of who is band to bypass and how long its been since they had the revision

Ohhh,brilliant! I'm Christie. Banded Dec 2009, decent success x 6 months then got sick, dehydrated, had to have 2 IV bags of Fluid and everything in my band removed....left empty for 6 weeks then slowly started trying to refill but even with tiny amounts I was having problems....learned to live off sliders. Summer 2012 developed HORRIBLE reflux (waking up at night with acid coming out my nose....oh what a feeling) suffered a couple months, progressively got harder to eat, got band unfilled, eating was even harder, got to the point I was walking around sipping hot tea with sugar in it, that was all I could get down. Upper GI showed a prolapsed band with herniated stomach, had urgent band removal the following week. Attempted RNY at that point but too much swelling and damage to perform the revision and get a healthy pouch. Sent home to heal for 6 months ( felt SO good having my band gone!!!!). RNY finally on 2/11/13 so I'm 5 weeks post-op and other than some nausea am doing great!

Next????

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 226.6

Ohhh' date='brilliant! I'm Christie. Banded Dec 2009, decent success x 6 months then got sick, dehydrated, had to have 2 IV bags of Fluid and everything in my band removed....left empty for 6 weeks then slowly started trying to refill but even with tiny amounts I was having problems....learned to live off sliders. Summer 2012 developed HORRIBLE reflux (waking up at night with acid coming out my nose....oh what a feeling) suffered a couple months, progressively got harder to eat, got band unfilled, eating was even harder, got to the point I was walking around sipping hot tea with sugar in it, that was all I could get down. Upper GI showed a prolapsed band with herniated stomach, had urgent band removal the following week. Attempted RNY at that point but too much swelling and damage to perform the revision and get a healthy pouch. Sent home to heal for 6 months ( felt SO good having my band gone!!!!). RNY finally on 2/11/13 so I'm 5 weeks post-op and other than some nausea am doing great!

Next????

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 226.6[/quote']

Thank u so much for sharing....i love reading your posts...looking forward to seeing everyone else get in on the post :)

I had the band in 2006 and lost about 120lbs 3 years later my dad passed away and i gained about 20lbs back then in 2010 got pregnant and gained almost 100lbs during my pregnancy then last april i had to have a new band put in because mine had formed a pouch above the band and have gained about 25lbs since then so now i am set to have the band removed and bypass done on april 16th !

I had my band placed in March 2007. I had trouble from the beginning getting the right amount of fill. Finally got restriction after 9 fills. I lost around 60 lbs. but then had trouble again with the proper adjustment. Was too tight for awhile and ate slider foods. Started gaining weight. Band was unfilled. My new surgeon said he had never seen that much Fluid in my type band. Gained about 40 lbs. and was having bad reflux. Tried filling a little again but reflux was worse. Continued gaining weight. So on December 12 I had my band removed and bypass done. The surgeon had a bit of trouble getting the band out and had to actually make the pouch a little bigger than he would have liked due to the band damage. I weighed 230 when I got the band and 228 when I had the revision. I've been a bit of a slow loser with both procedures, possibly due to my age (I'm 63 now) and the fact that I don't have as much to lose as some others, so weight loss is slower. But, I am just .3 lbs away from having lost 50 lbs since December, so I'm happy with that. I have about 30 lbs. still to lose. I'm very happy with my revision decision! Good luck to everyone else and to pebulz on her upcoming surgery.

I had a band in Nov of 2006 had band removed and bypass on Jan 14, 2013, I was so bulimic for over 2 years bad reflux and got bad habits of eating, .... Lost @70 ilbs since, was @ 280 before band was 210 on Jan 14 2013 now189......

Thanks for sharing momlambert and marla ....its so nice hearing from others that were in similar situations.....im sooooo nervous about the surgery and if this is actually gonna work for me ...im 357lbs and cant imagine ever being in the 100s :(

Thanks for sharing momlambert and marla ....its so nice hearing from others that were in similar situations.....im sooooo nervous about the surgery and if this is actually gonna work for me ...im 357lbs and cant imagine ever being in the 100s :(

You can do it, just stop beating yourself up about bad choices, we all do it, we just need to be our own best friend.......and be self encouraging, and stay positive, this is my new thinking !

Hi I am new to the board and so grateful to find this thread. I was banded in February 2006 and am now going through the process of a Gastric Bypass. I had minor problems with the band and never used it because I was too scared. I weigh over 400 pounds now and I am wanting to do something permeant that will get a lot of weight off.

My first appointment with the surgeon was two weeks ago and all he mentioned was that there was a bigger risk with the revision. So glad to hear other's stories!

Hi I am new to the board and so grateful to find this thread. I was banded in February 2006 and am now going through the process of a Gastric Bypass. I had minor problems with the band and never used it because I was too scared. I weigh over 400 pounds now and I am wanting to do something permeant that will get a lot of weight off.

My first appointment with the surgeon was two weeks ago and all he mentioned was that there was a bigger risk with the revision. So glad to hear other's stories!

Welcome! What did he say was a bigger risk? When i asked my dr the risks because having the band he told me its no different and i also asked about the length of the surgery being so much longer and he told me its only about an hour long procedure to remove the band and do the bypass so it wouldnt be anu riskier

Welcome! What did he say was a bigger risk? When i asked my dr the risks because having the band he told me its no different and i also asked about the length of the surgery being so much longer and he told me its only about an hour long procedure to remove the band and do the bypass so it wouldnt be anu riskier

Thanks, pebulz! The doctor said the revision from the band to the RNY is a higher risk and would cost more, but didn't go into anymore details. I hadn't put to much thought into the idea of there being a higher risk. I'll have to get more information when I visit with him. I need to make a list if questions about the risks of band revision to a RNY so I can be better prepared next time.

Each subsequent surgery becomes a bigger risk because you're being opened up again, more scar tissue and damage, makes a more complicated surgery. And there's Leo the potential to have internal damage from the band.....

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225.8

Thanks' date=' pebulz! The doctor said the revision from the band to the RNY is a higher risk and would cost more, but didn't go into anymore details. I hadn't put to much thought into the idea of there being a higher risk. I'll have to get more information when I visit with him. I need to make a list if questions about the risks of band revision to a RNY so I can be better prepared next time.

[/quote']

Hmmm wonder if part of it is to help prove the case that its gonna be more expensive im assuming your self pay.....idk i know im nervous as hell and their are risks but i keep telling myself their are just as many risks staying this weight as their are with the surgery ....dont know if its the truth but im def trying to convince myself lol

Hmmm wonder if part of it is to help prove the case that its gonna be more expensive im assuming your self pay.....idk i know im nervous as hell and their are risks but i keep telling myself their are just as many risks staying this weight as their are with the surgery ....dont know if its the truth but im def trying to convince myself lol

My recovery has been awesome....5 weeks out and I feel better than I ever felt with my band!!! You'll do fine :)

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225.8

My recovery has been awesome....5 weeks out and I feel better than I ever felt with my band!!! You'll do fine :)

HW 312' date=' pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225.8[/quote']

Thank you....btw were u this scared or is it just me lol