Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nebraska Anyone???

Just stopping in to say hi to everyone. I did get surgery done on June 19th at Scottsbluff and am down 19# so far!! I can not believe how much better I feel already being down the small fraction of weight I am so far. Don't get me wrong the 19# is a major step but I forget how soon you start to feel better when the weight comes off. And just knowing that this time is not going to be the yo-yo of loosing and then gaining yet again is such a great feeling. Changing not just the bad habits but my outlook on life is wonderful. :whoo:

Congrats Farmmom!! I was soooooo excited when I dropped weight after surgery. It was fast. Now things are slowing down, but still going down. In 4 months I am down 32.5 lbs, or a little over 8 lbs a month. I know I couldn't do that without the band.

Hey everyone, thought I'd drop a line to let you know that Scottsbluff is a "Center of Excellence" in more than one way. I was banded in May of 2006 (just before they earned the title). If I recall, they will maintain band patience whether they did your surgery or not. They actually encourage you to go to places other than to them if your insurance doesn't cover at their hospital. They are truly concerned about your health and maintaining your losses. There are people from Colorado and Wyoming that go to Holloway/Forney in Scottsbluff for fills because they had surgery in Mexico and can't find doctors in their own area to maintain them. They also go 2 hrs away from home, twice a month for checkups and fills at another hospital(in Ogallala) and once a month for consultations. They don't require you to drive to their hospital or clinic for the fills. Of course that takes 2 hrs off your fill trips. If you are in the middle of the state, it's still closer for check ups in Ogallala (2 1/2 hrs) from Kearney than in Omaha, without the hassle of the traffic. Either way, no matter which doctor a person chooses, or insurance approves, the important thing is having the surgery and losing the weight.

<p>Mrs. H& Marz88</p> <p>Glad to see someone else in Nebraska with the band. </p> <p> </p> <p> I went to the Nebraska page...pretty uh..blank? </p> <p> </p> <p>I am planning on having my surgery at St. Elizabeths in Lincoln. I haven't got a date yet nor have I been to a support group. I know when they meet, its just I'm in class every night of the week, so hopefully I can find one that works for me schedule wise.</p> <p>Just wanted to say hi!</p>

Hi Laurie and all,

I am from Hastings. I am planning on Dr. Benjamin Hung in Lincoln doing my surgery in January or early February. I am in the middle of the second 6 month diet my insurance requires. I have been working with the folks at St Elizabeths hospital and Dr. Hungs office and they are wonderful. They are soooo supportive and have helped so much to direct me on how to get approved and ready for my surgery. I am so glad to hear from others so close. Take care in your journey! Julie

Did you go to the doctor in Scottsbluff? What is your review? I have my first appt. there in Dec. I am excited and nervous all at the same time.

2nd chance, I didn't go to Scottsbluff only to Lincoln. Dr. Hung did gastric bypass on a good friend of mine and she recommended him highly. Lincoln is only a little over an hour for me so is more convenient.

Hey Ive been on this site for over 4 months now and never saw this thread. I have been hoping to find someone in Lincoln with the band. I live outside of Lincoln but work at one of the hospitals in Lincoln. I had my band placed on July 20th 2007 in Mexico since I was self pay. My insurance didnt cover. I am only down 27lbs. It's slow. Anyways, I go to Dr. Hung for fills (have only had one though). Glad to see people in Nebraska! Tammy

Hooray! There are more Nebraska people than I expected.

JulieC….

I’m wondering if you could give me some more info on your experience so far. I’m assuming you’ve been to a seminar. I’ve signed up for the November seminar at St. Elizabeth and am wondering what that’s like. The info says that they will determine if you are a candidate for WLS at the seminar….so will there be one on one time with a Dr./Nurse? Should I expect to stay after the seminar is over?

Also, I’m looking for an exercise buddy in Lincoln….anyone interested?

Thank you kindly!

Hey everyone - Just thought I'd drop in.

I'm from Fremont/Lincoln but living and banded in Kansas City back in 2005.

I'm curious about the exact time/place of the Lincoln support groups. I would love to drop in on one sometime. I'm up visiting relatives nearly every month or two.

Oh and for the person that posted about going to Mexico for his fills because of the cost. I don't know what the docs in Nebraska are charging but there is at least one doc here in KC that I know of that will fill Mexico patients (as well as others not banded by him) and his fee is only $100 per fill. I'd think the cost to get to KC would have to be cheaper than Mexico. Let me know if you'd like any more info. The doc I'm referring to is great. He's performed over 900 band surgeries. He ONLY does the band not RNY since he thinks its the better choice. He is a proctor for Inamed and has actually trained several of the Nebraska docs that are now performing the band surgeries. I actually wasn't banded by him but ended up switching to him after meeting several of his patients at local support groups.

Joely,

The initial seminar at St. E's is a round table presentation describing the procedure. They tell about both the lap band and gastric bypass if there are people there wanting more info on that. They talk about the preop qualifications, the preop diet etc and then describe the surgery day and all that happens. They discuss the post op diets, Protein supplements and what to expect following surgery. Most of the people there had already had a consult with Dr. Hung I believe and it was used as a preop teaching session. That was the first thing I attended. This was presented by the nurses.

I also went to another class on a Saturday morning that I really didn't know what it was. It ended up being a general overview of the services they offer and what things must be in place for you to qualify for surgery. The nurses and one of the doctors were there to answer questions.

There wasn't really any one on one time with them but they were happy to answer questions after the program also. What I have been seeing on here is there is really basically not alot of difference in the insurances, they seem to have much of the same requirements with just a little difference here or there.

I hope this helps you! Good luck on your journey, I am counting down, hope to be banded by February!

Just found this website, I know my registered name is MUTiger, but I live in Seward, NE. I was banded on Oct 24th with Dr. Tadducci at the surgical center by St. Elizabeth Hospital. I have lost 6 pounds since surgery, just starting to excerise. Nice to see others in NE.

Having a difficult time here. Just found out I have four of five herniated discs in my lumbar spine. Have been in terrible pain but have been being helped by epidurals. Hoping surgery will help this problem as I don't relish the idea of back surgery. Looking at other posts I am wondering if I should reconsider having the band and look at bypass as a mean to get the weight off faster? What do you all think? I am really up in the air about it. I have lost a total of 17 pounds in this second diet I am on in the past four months, I hope the band can help me take it off faster than that?

Any and all advice appreciated! Julie

Of course we are not impartial on the subject. But I hate to see anyone choose Bypass over the band just because they think it is a faster means to their goal. I understand it mind you, I considered it myself pre-band, still I hate it.

Most (Yes, not all) people do drop weight fairly rapidly at the beginning of the lapband process. Losing 10 to even 30 pounds per month. I know you feel you have a long way to go and hate the idea of it taking "so long" to get there. But you will be surprised how quickly even a modest weight loss will help some of you health problems.

Feel free to send me a private message if you would like to talk more.

BTW - I'm from the Fremont/Lincoln Area just living in KC now.