Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret having the surgery. If you do why

Do you have any regrets. My surgery is scheduled for 4/8, still wondering if it is right foe me.

Not regrets but I had heart trouble after surgery I went into a-fib el regular heart beat and high heart rate I asked my cardiac dr what I had dodos to myself we have a long history together in 2000 I had blood clots in my LAD one of my main valves and they put in 2 stents and a mild heart attack but have had no heart problems since then as he was walking out the door he stopped and turned and said it was the best thing I had done for myself even with these problems and not to worry everything will be fine and I really trust him

No regrets. It hurts but temporarily. I am happy I did it so far. I'm a week post op.

Great topic! Keep the responses coming! I often wonder this too!

I lost too much blood post-surgery and required multiple transfusions. Scary, but fairly easily solved. I have no regrets as I now live without seven meds [that I needed prior to the surgery for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol] and an extra sixty-five pounds that I was carrying around [surgery was 12 weeks ago today]

I think my pouch is way too big, I went from band to bypass Jan 14 th.....I have no restriction now, 2 months tomm, I have only lost 20 lbs, I can eat a lot almost anything right now, very frustrated.......

No regrets. I had a little rough patch with nausea but nothing meds couldn't take care of. I am almost seven weeks out, advanced to regular food last week. Lost approx 36 pounds and couldn't be happier. I feel great and have way more energy.

The biggest suggestion is to follow YOUR program that your surgeon has designed for you. Don't worry about what other can and can't have. If you follow what they tell you, get your Protein in and drink Water you should do great. Remember every person is different so don't compare yourself to someone else that might have had the surgery at the same time you did. I see too many people upset because they are x amount weeks out and only lost x amount of pounds. Every pound lost makes us healthier. The WLS is ONLY a tool and not a quick fix. Hope this helps...

I have no regrets. In fact, I feel privileged to have had the surgery and hope that others can have it as well.

At first I regretted it because I had open RNY and was in so much pain and scar tissue hurt like hell and recovery time was longer. Then I started feeling crappy, 24 hour nauseousness, no energy and super tired all the time combined started to depress me and I had suicidal thoughts all the time. But as everyone told me...that passed and I'm feeling much better. And to top it off, after over 10 years of failures, I'm pregnant! So now...no regrets!!

SD:1/28/13 HW:358 SW:338 CW:297

At first I regretted it because I had open RNY and was in so much pain and scar tissue hurt like hell and recovery time was longer. Then I started feeling crappy' date=' 24 hour nauseousness, no energy and super tired all the time combined started to depress me and I had suicidal thoughts all the time. But as everyone told me...that passed and I'm feeling much better. And to top it off, after over 10 years of failures, I'm pregnant! So now...no regrets!!

SD:1/28/13 HW:358 SW:338 CW:297[/quote']

I saw your scar pics! It was no wonder you regretted it at first. Must of hurt. But now ...Congrats!!

I saw your scar pics! It was no wonder you regretted it at first. Must of hurt. But now ...Congrats!!

It hurt like hell and the scar tissue still is sore and tender to the touch :-( but to be given the opportunity for my husband and I to have a baby after trying for over 10 years makes it all worthwhile! Thank you.

SD:1/28/13 HW:358 SW:338 CW:297

I had my surgery 10/05/12. The hardest part for me was "breaking up" with food. I couldn't be excited about my dinners anymore because a couple of bites and it was over. I couldn't use it as a crutch...or a celebration. Do I regret it? Absolutely not. I'm down 82# and not focusing on food has been the most liberating lesson I have ever learned.

Hi all I partly regret having my gastric bypass op for two reasons 1 for my surgeon too make my stomach smaller than he legally should of done for my height he told me what he did after he did my op. the second is. That the NHS in the uk Have refused me twice by writing and 6 times verbally too have Tummy Tuck and too have my excess skin from my arms and legs too. I feel totally betrayed and let down by a medical service I should be be able too trust and rely on and clearly we cannot sadly its left me in greater pain than I did before my rny op with weight of the excess skin in front of me and weight everywhere else causing light sores now. I also only sleep 4 hours sleep if lucky if not that sometimes, due too excess skin. I also have a severe form no feeling of hunger which most RNY patients suffer from at somepoint but sadly I have a severe form of it. I appeared on a major bbc documentary in the uk highlight obesity funding crisis regarding NHS 5 years ago I was phoned up by this bbc production team and I appeared on the show after appearing in my local paper as a few others did with a similar plight I did appear along side a gastric bypass grp with along side my bariatric surgeon who highlighted the probs we were facing at the time. Then I was inited along too the bariatric support grp and was made welcome at first then about month later the big boss of bariatric grp came from London and attracted the grp leaders for not getting her consent and permission but she did get help from some medication company too pay for weekend training meetings and for staying in hotels etc but she then said she got phoned by magazines ad papers whom wanted too help us but she cruelly declined too pass our details onto us too possibly help us then from that moment I never went back as I felt I was taken advantaged of by the RNY grp too more funding I think and for for that so called boss deny us help was some flaming low life in my opinion. My advice to other uk RNY patients going under NHS too have weightloss ops I would check and check again if your local NHS will do the reconstructive surgery or not if is the case if so I wld if you can get a loan and go private as I feel so let down sad and betrayed by a so called health service many patients should be able too trust and sadly we clearly cannot sadly I am now in the process of taking legal action agaist NHS for neglect of care and for the unless art suffering of pain and cruel refusal for surgery I need shame on David Cameron for not making me suffer making others suffer like myself suffer is cruel and inhumane my fear with so many legal cases against the NHS going on I can see NHS oing under and I hope it does as it is a poor substandard service and its a real lottery where u live and what medical service du can or can't get.

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I have absolutely no regrets. With what I know now I would do it again. Off all meds and down 121 pounds in 8 months, and feel great. Got my life back.