Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really bothered by something a nurse said to me...

Hey everyone!

I am currently studying abroad in London, England. Since I'm a full time graduate student I can see doctors here for free through the NHS. Anyway I made an appointment to see someone because I had a question about my medication. The nurse started talking to me and asked if I've had any surgeries. I told her the few that I had and I'd be having gastric bypass on the 27 when I return home to the USA for spring break.

She looked at me and said "isn't that a bit dramatic?"

I was shocked and didn't say anything for the rest of the appointment. She went on saying how "weight loss surgery" is not popular in the UK and how the USA is "silly" for having so many patients go through the "painful process".

So.. Yeah I wanted to share that with you guys. It upset me for the rest of the day... :(

Well, medicine is different abroad. She obviously has no knowledge or information on benefits of weight loss surgery and is just going by what she may have heard. You are going to get tons of people that want to put their two sense in and they don't know what they are talking about. I just let them know that I have educated myself and feel very confident along with my primary doctor that this is the right decision for me. Don't let one ignorant person ruin your day....

I most likely would have told her that if I wanted her opinion I would have given it to her and then asked for another nurse and to speak with her supervisor. That was a super rude thing for her to say ..

I was looking for the positive in this to share with you, but I honestly would have asked her to stop talking to me and only ask questions relevant to her work.

Everyone won't agree, support u, understand, be kind, have class... Who cares she wasn't the first and won't be the last ignorant person you will come across in this lifetime.

Best wishes :)

Ignorant witch...... it amazes me how many people think that it is OK to make rude comments about other people's personal choices. I am a nurse and would never give my personal opinion unless asked....... she sounds like she needs some education.........keep your head up!

xo Hilary

Well, medicine is different abroad. She obviously has no knowledge or information on benefits of weight loss surgery and is just going by what she may have heard. You are going to get tons of people that want to put their two sense in and they don't know what they are talking about. I just let them know that I have educated myself and feel very confident along with my primary doctor that this is the right decision for me. Don't let one ignorant person ruin your day....

Excellent response. We need to be tough. I had other doctors [orthopedic] tell me that they thought the RNY was a bad idea. She recanted after doing more research [as I asked her to do]. But it is unnerving. So do your research and get tough. This is not easy [but it is worthwhile IMHO - no longer on any meds and 65#s down after 12 weeks]

Also remember, people in other countries aren't alwasy fond of Americans. My husband spent a great deal of time over there and was treated badly by many once they discovered that he was American. Keep your head up, you will be home soon. You are doing what is best for you!

It's just not other countries its US to I went to my primary the dr I had been seeing there left and u was see the new but I'm looking for a new primary but my point is the dr said with the wright you have lost do you really need the surgery my highest weight was 390 a little over a year ago the day he said that to me was on pre op diet I was 350 I thought boy is he stupid

Screw her! She is very unprofessional! Wls is not cosmetic, its for health reasons. Being overweight is difficult and that B must have been skinny. Dont ever let anyone put u down like that, she has no idea what u have gone through to undergo wls. Ur making the right decision sweetie..

I live in london and waiting for my gastric bypass. If a doctor had said that to me i would have told her to mind her god dam own business! WLS is just as known over here and figures for WLS is on the rise with private healthcare and national healthcare.

The truth is its not easy and who knows that woman's agenda do your home work and research and follow what you feel is right. No one can make you decisions for you and certainly not someone you don't know and who doesn't know you. People can be rude and down right mean. Don't get me wrong this is not easy but it will and should show you what you are made of. We have your back. DO YOU! :D If you ever need positive comments come on here that's what its about

Europeans, in general, do not have the extent of obesity problems that Americans have. There is less reliance on cars, more physical lifestyles, such as walking or biking, less reliance on processed foods, and even the quality of the whole foods is far superior to that in the US. Dairy products typically come from happy, Grassfed cows, for example. Chickens are not factory raised. They roam around on farms. Less pesticides are used on produce. I could go on and on.

So yes, from the perspective of a non-American, wls is a bit drastic. Were u a born and raised Brit, chances are you wouldn't need it.

I have quite a bit of family in Germany and I am definitely not sharing my surgery with them.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Plus I am jealous abroad in London studying ? That's what is wrong with those folks :rolleyes: Live it up girl