Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sydney Doctor

Hey all,

Just putting the word out to see if any of u Aussie's can help me find a really good Sydney Doc.

I'm having a few "communication problems" with the one that banded me, and as i'm now having lot's of problems i need to find another doc to go to.

And help, suggestions would be much appreciated

thanks

Angel

Gday Angel, I really don't know of any Sydney docs to be honest because I am in Melbourne. Just wanted to welcome you here to our little group. Good on ya. Susannah

Thanks Susannah for your warm welcome to the board. I noticed that you've just been banded, so Good Luck on your journey.

Angel

Hi Angel, Yes I was banded two weeks ago, so I am a newborn so to speak!

Where do you live? Feel free to share your story. Everyone is very friendly here. Susannah

Thanks again for your warm replies.

My story goes something like this :paranoid

Me and my husband were banded just under a yr ago. While his road has been smooth and complication free, mine has been nothing but trouble.

Even from the liquid stage i could feel something getting "stuck" and the Doc just put it off to me feeling the band doing it's job (even though the band was totally empty). I had a few fills done and then had to have several fills removed due to food constantly getting stuck.

Me and my husband eat basicly the same food, he has absolutly no problems (he's even been known to eat a hamburger once in a while with no probs) everything, and i mean everything i eat comes back up even Soups and sometimes just plain old water).

While i was willing to put up with the vomiting at first (i lost 30kg's in under 4 mths) now i'm 23 wks pregnant and the vomiting hasn't stopped. My band is totally empty and the Doc's even sucked the air out of it to make it even wider, and still i can't keep anything down. I'm still losing weight and although so far the baby's healthy, i'm worried that as i get further along the baby will start to suffer.

The main reason i'm looking for a new Doc is due largley in part to his comment of, "have the baby then come back and we'll see what we can do." I know that i can't have most of the scan's and x-ray's while i'm pregnant, but there's got to be something that can be done.

So yeah, that's my story. I'm one of the rare one's that the band just dosn't seem to agree with. But having said that, nothing much has been done by my Doc to correct what ever the problem is.

Sry this post is so long

Angel

Hi Angel, It seems so unfair that others have a smooth ride with the band, and you have to struggle. You must be so concerned about your situation especially given that you are pregnant(Congrats by the way). If you feel that you need to seek a second opinion from another surgeon, you are well within your rights to do so. I think that your current surgeon may want to wait before any further intervention for the sake of the baby. Having said that you cannot continue to be vomitting in your condition.

What does your Obstetrician say?

I am not a doctor so I am not sure of exactly how to advise you in this regard Angel, except to say get that second opinion. I am not sure of any band surgeons in Sydney as I previously said. You could ask your GP for an alternative referral.

Menwhile why don't you join us over on the Melbourne chat thread. We are a happy and friendly bunch, and you don't have to be from melbourne to join in. We have bandsters and pre bandsters from all over.

Susannah

Thanks Susannah for the words of support and thanks She smiles for that website. I'll definatley look further into it now and try to get a second opinion.

Sry it took me so long to reply i just had a really hard week.

Angel

Yep 47kgs down and only a few more to go. If it wasn't for me being pregnant at the moment I would so totally be over the moon, but 10 of those kilo's where lost while i've been pregnant, so that's what's got me so worried now.

I noticed that ur goal is similar to mine in total weight loss, so good luck on the journey. Before u know it u'll be looking back on the old you and won't even recognise her anymore LOL.

Angel

Angel -

Not sure if you saw my response on the other thread, my doctor is Dr Garrett Smith at North Shore Weight Loss Surgey, at North Shore Private Hospital behind the Royal North Shore Hospital in St Leonards. http://www.nswls.com.au/

So far my discussions with him have been very honest and direct. I chose him because I felt other doctors was trying to sell me too hard.....I wanted a doctor not a salesman.

Good luck

Thanks RightSize for the info, I've got another appointment with my GP and OBGYN, I"m gonna wait and see what they have to say, and then take it from their.

Thanks again

Angel

Hi Angel. I'm from the other side of the Blue Mountain's & I had my surgery done by "THE SYDNEY INSTITUTE FOR OBESITY SURGERY" at Ashfield. I was banded in Sept 2005 & then fell pregnant in Dec 2005.I gave birth to little Joey in Oct last year. I lost 8kgs while pregnant I have 3mls in a 10ml band & I have only lost 16kg.

I also tend to get alot of things stuck, which is why i haven't been back for a fill lately. This band really frustrates me. Because I tend not to be able to get the good food down, I tend to go for the easy "no good" foods, ie:icecream, chips, etc. Some days I can eat really good, like meat, chicken or bread, & then on other day's I can't even get Soup down. (we may have the same Dr lol). Most nights I have to let my dinner come back up as it usually get's stuck...so is this normal or not??? Can anyone let me know ??

Good lock with your pregnancy Angel. When do you see your GP next ???

Trish

Banded 27/09/2005

start 136.5kg

pre pregnancy 126.5kg

Feb 2006 119.5kg

Nov 2006 113.5kg

now 120.5kg

goal 70kg

Hi Trish,

I can't believe someone who's in the same boat LOL.

I honestly don't think it's normal that we can't get so many things down. Maybe u should get some of ur Fluid out and that might help. Ask ur Dr and see what he thinks, then again if he's anything like my one he's nod his head a little and show u the door, with none of ur questions answered. LOL

For me I've had all the Fluid removed and food is still getting stuck.

As you can see i'm now down 50kgs. Part of me want's to be over the moon at the results. But the other practical side of me feels like i've become a bulimic as everything i eat comes up. I wish i could rely on the cheat foods like chips and ice cream but that comes up most of the time as well.

Can i ask u while u where pregnant did u feel like u had even more restriction?? I'm trying to figure out if the baby pushing against my stomach is making my restriction worse or not??? It's either that or i have a slipped band. I've got an appointment with a new Dr on Tuesday, so i suppose i'll have a clearer idea as to what can be done then.

Dr Brancatisano at www.circleofcare.com.au is excellent.

I was banded 20 months ago and have lost 60KG, only 20 or so to go to goal. It was without doubt the best thing I ever have done, I wish I did it 25 years earlier.