Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to tell co-workers?

I am going back to work tomorrow and I don't know what to tell my co-works. I lied and said I was getting my apendix out. But they are going to start noticing that I'm not eatting lunch with them (we order out almost everyday) I won't be able to eat normally for a couple weeks. I am normally really honest with people but for some reason I want to keep this a very personal thing. I guess I don't want anyone judging me or making comments about things they really have no idea about.

Absolutely none of their business. Bring your own food and join them. When they see you losing, they'll start bringing salads!

If you don't feel comfortable disclosing the surgery you could tell them that you are on a medically supervised diet- It's the truth!

I wish that I had told no one about my band. Now all I here every time I see someone that knows it is "how much have you lost". Even if it has only been 2 days. It is like they think that I should be dropping 5 pounds a day or something. If I could go back I would have just told my family and my best friend.

You can just tell them that you are on a new special diet and leave it at that. That is the truth in a way.

Good luck.

Tell them that your doctor has placed you on a special diet for 6 weeks.

I told that to my co-workers, working out good so far.

I wish that I had told no one about my band. Now all I here every time I see someone that knows it is "how much have you lost". Even if it has only been 2 days. It is like they think that I should be dropping 5 pounds a day or something. If I could go back I would have just told my family and my best friend.

You can just tell them that you are on a new special diet and leave it at that. That is the truth in a way.

Good luck.

I second that. I'm getting the same thing from co-workers. Everyday at least 5 people ask me how much I've lost. I really regret telling people at work.

I don't think there's anything wrong with telling people that you decided to lose some weight so you're on a new diet. As phlyinphebee said, it's still the truth.

I was banded on 2/7/07 and have chosen not to tell my co-workers. I have always been brutally honest, but for some reason decided to keep quiet. I didn't want everyone staring at what I was eating. I think its o.k. to keep it private.

Hang in there!

I didn't tell co-workers, either. The nice thing about the band is that the loss is not so immediately dramatic that anyone will think that something is up. I just told them (not a lie) that I didn't feel like eating right after surgery (true) and decided that as I was recuperating and not hungry that it would be a good time to start changing my eating habits. I had one nosy woman come up to me and say, "...I have to ask you the question that everyone wants to know...did you have gastric bypass?" I (honestly) told her that I did not. I later mentioned that conversation to another co-worker and he said to me, "She's nuts...you would have lost 75# by now if you had done that!" They have watched me struggle to diet for years and have watched my weight go up and down multiple times. It's funny, but as much as I worried about what they would all think, I don't think they pay much attention to what I do or don't eat or what size I am wearing. People are not nearly as interested in our lives as we think they are. There will always be those whose lives are so empty that they need to focus on changes in ours. (Like the busybody who asked about gastric bypass.) I just keep smiling and let them wonder.

I only told my best friends and my close family, because I've been judged enough throughout my life...

Last year, my sister had a portion of her small intestine taken out, her appendix and her gall bladder. It was all done laproscopically. (They thought she had Crone's disease, which she doesnt, and at first they thought they were just taking out her appendix, but..)She was put on a full liq diet for awhile, and even now can't eat fatty foods. SO I told everyone that that was what I had done, and when they kept asking me about my liq diet I told them that b/c my system was so swollen, I couldnt handle anything else. That way, everyone knows I had surgery and what not,so it wont be weird if I was sore (which I am) but they dont know what i had done

I am usually honest with people, but for people who havent been overweight for so long and who havent had this done, they have no idea that its not an easy way out.

I just told people that I started low carb. I measure my stuff out and bring it to work. When they ask, I just say that it is the recommended serving of stuff... and then I complain a little bit. "Look at this, this is a bite not a meal..." grumble grumble... and then we talk about 'diet hell' as it has been named.

When I was on liquids, I told them I started Medifast, shake for Breakfast, shake for lunch, no one there to see me at dinner time...

Good luck. Hope no one figures it out. I did not tell anyone at my new job and someone knew someone somewhere that had it done and now everyone has figured it out. One lady even came up and asked me, and I did not lie... she asked if I recommended it and I honestly replied "no". None of my students have said anything... and I have even made it on field trips to buffets with no one the wiser... so all is well there. :)

I didn't tell anyone either! It's surprising how if you push food around on your plate, nobody really notices when you don't actually eat it. Just remember, once you do tell, you can't take it back!

I'm going to need to take 4-5 days off work for this.

Didn't your office co-workers wonder where you were? Didn't they wonder why you moved around a little slower than normal after you came back?

That's my problem, me taking off that much time in a row will send up red flags in my office, there 6 of us.

I think I'm going to "lie" and tell them I needed to have an ovarian cyst removed.

Does that sound beliveable?

I'm going to need to take 4-5 days off work for this.

Didn't your office co-workers wonder where you were? Didn't they wonder why you moved around a little slower than normal after you came back?

That's my problem, me taking off that much time in a row will send up red flags in my office, there 6 of us.

I think I'm going to "lie" and tell them I needed to have an ovarian cyst removed.

Does that sound beliveable?

An ovarian cyst is the excuse I used and the best thing about it is that afterwards I have been telling people at school that I am doing a low fat dairy "cleanse" (which is actually a recommended course of action to deal with ovarian cysts... my naturopath put me on one a couple of years ago) when they see me with my Protein shake and yogurt. It shuts them right up.

(I thought about saying that I was doing a slim-fast type shake diet, but didn't feel like having to deal with my skinny friends trying to talk me out of what they call "pointless crash dieting".... )

ovarian cyst is a good idea. I told mine I had to have a hernia repair, which I did at the same time I was getting my lap-band.