Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My younger sister didn't have a drain but older sister did and she had less problems with gas. She swears that the drain made the difference.

from my own personal female point of view the catheter was okay but I know from you're male point of view I know it had to be hell.

I am male. And I worried a lot in advance about the catheter. Truly it was no big deal. No pain. It was inconvenient for walking around. But right after surgery I was grateful to have it.

I didn't have a drain tube my dr said depends an amount of drainage during surgery

I had one for a while bc I had a lot of bleeding that gathered in my right side. I think it was there for a week and a half. To be honest I was so medicated I can't really remember LOL.

I had a drain tube put in during surgery. It was not something that was discussed prior to surgery so I was a little surprised to have one when I woke up in recovery. When I asked the Dr why he said he did it on a case by case basis depending on how much fluids were draining. He said the body will reabsorb the fluids but if there is a lot he likes to go with a drain tube to help pull some of it out. Mine was removed prior to discharge on the 2nd day. I was really not liking the idea of removing it at all for fear of pain. But it didn't really hurt, it just felt "weird" because you do feel it moving as it's being pulled through/out but not painful. I actually found it easier to get up/out of bed once it was out and the stitch wasn't pulling anymore.

Omg I am so glad I found your post!!! I have a big penrose drain in my left side and it is the worst part of the whole experience! It's gross and uncomfortable and makes everything more difficult. My surgery was Tuesday the 16th and I won't get it out till next Wesnesday. I've heard it is super long too which grosses me out but I can't wait for it to be out!! Thank you so much for posting about this!!

Omg I am so glad I found your post!!! I have a big penrose drain in my left side and it is the worst part of the whole experience! It's gross and uncomfortable and makes everything more difficult. My surgery was Tuesday the 16th and I won't get it out till next Wesnesday. I've heard it is super long too which grosses me out but I can't wait for it to be out!! Thank you so much for posting about this!!

this was my drain

[ATTACH]3302[/ATTACH]

post-31869-13813811901508_thumb.png

Oh you had a JP drain. Mine is a penrose drain that looks like a flat manicotti coming out of my side. It doesn't drain into anything but a bandage. So I change that at least twice a day. It just gross. Can't wait to get it taken out on Wednesday!

My surgery is tomorrow and at my pre-op appt I asked my dr if i will have a drain tube and he said i would have one in for a week. He said that is how he can tell what's going on inside. I was so hoping not to have one...but I'll deal with it :)

I had a jp drain and a catheter. I was so nervous before surgery because my doctor never talked about it. When I woke up in recovery I was told I had both. A few hours later I was thankful for the catheter because with all the iv fluids, I wasn't getting up every half hour to use the bathroom. It didn't even hurt when they took it out.

My jp was kind of a pain but also good in a way. It did tend to get in the way and it pulled if it wasn't emptied every few hours. I got mine taken out the day I went home. I miss it because, I don't know if its possible, but I feel bloated from all the blood in my stomach.

I had surgery on the 17th and released on the 19th. I had a catheter and a jp drain. The catheter was put in while I was under. The. Drain was the most annoying because it kept leaking.

The catheter was great because in the past I had had nausea with the gall bladder surgery and the lap band. At least i knew i wouldn't wet the bed! LOL. I did feel though that I really need to go all the time. Just couldn't feel like it was going into the bag. I was so glad when they took it out thursday the day after the surgery. I immediately went into the bathroom and felt so much better.

The drain as I said was messy because the collection bulb kept filling up. They kept it in until we were completing the Discharge process on Friday. I had no idea it was so long. It didn't hurt coming out, just a little pressure. But, that was one if the weirdest sensations I think I have ever felt. It felt creepy! She had me hold my breathe and them blow it out slowly. She pulled and the tube was out before I was finished but eweeeee! But it is all over, I am home and working on my recovery.

My surgery was April 2. I did not have a drain. The catheter was taken out before I got to my room, don't even remember it. I only had the 2 tiny catheters in my abdomen coming from my ON-Q pain pump. Pulled it out couple days after I got home, no problem.

My surgery was April 2. I did not have a drain. The catheter was taken out before I got to my room' date=' don't even remember it. I only had the 2 tiny catheters in my abdomen coming from my ON-Q pain pump. Pulled it out couple days after I got home, no problem.[/quote']

That was my birthday the 2nd

My surgery was April 30th. I still have a drain in. I empty the drain 4 times per day. So far I recorded 15.8 oz of fluids removed since I came home on May 1st. My follow up is tomorrow. The doctor said he will remove the drain during the appointment. It hasn't been a issue or a problem.

HW: 320 CW: 287 GW: 175 WLS: 4/30/13

I had a drain tube and came home with it had it from a Thursday the day I came home till The following Monday (5) days you have to drain it

And record how much is in the JP Drain

It is very uncomfortable can't take a deep breath

Couldn't lay on my left side because of discomfort Once the surgeon took the two

Stitches out he started pulling the tube out

Ouch it was 3feet long it was like a clown doing

A scarf trick

But once it was out instantly I had relief I could

Breath and the left side wasn't as sore

I had my revision surgery 1-22-2013

Oh yeah that hurt but thanks god it was over.