Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 60. Anyone else over 50 doing RNY?

My surgeon talked me into the full RNY because of my Barrett’s and bad acid reflux... I had heard the Sleeve makes acid worse?? I would suggest to you to stay on the proton pumps or whatever medication is best for you and don’t eat late at night?? I know that what worked for me pre surgery made others worse so I’d only use your doctor’s advice.. acid reflux is HELL and I am so sorry for you.

Thanks ! It’s not he’ll, just annoying . No take lansaprozole am and pm now . And avoid eating close to bed time . It’s manageable but disappointing

I'm noticing more young women getting surgery. I'm wondering if anyone else had it in 50 or 60s and how you did?
I am 55 and having the gastric sleeve done on June 3rd 2019

Sent from my LM-G710VM using BariatricPal mobile app

I had it done at 57 last December

Surprising there are so many of us on here-' thought I was the only one seeking this, turns out there are many taking this second chance to make things right. And I cheer each one as they come along!📣📣🔊

Had mine in Feb 2019 at age 63. Several of the professionals asked me, "Why do you want to do this now?" Like my life is over at age 63??? You bet, it's over if I continue to be overweight by 100+ pounds! My knees were done, my GERD was getting worse, extreme sleep apnea, out of breath, couldn't even get my fat self off the floor. That;s not what I call living! So why NOT get it done now and get the chance to get my life back? And it has!!! I climbed 12 flights of stairs today with no trouble, can hike/walk 4 -5 hours in a stretch, and even get off the floor by myself!

And you can share my motto with me(Im 73, 74 on Next December 26th)
MAKING THE REST OF MY LIFE THE BEST OF,MY LIFE!!!!

12 weeks out from surgery and wondering what the exercise routines of my other over 50 friends look like. I've increased exercise gradually over the last 3 weeks and I'm hitting what appears to be another stall.

Anyone have any advice??? I know for the peri-menopausal/menopausal metabolism (even with surgery) it's a miracle that our bodies are letting go of any of this weight so I'm trying to remain postive.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

So i am almost 6 months out and was a low BMI to start with. A 34 i think at 241 lbs. was 231 the day of surgery and started walking 3 miles a day within a week of surgery. I also had been spinning 3-4 days a week and was pretty active. My calories the first 6 weeks were probably under 500 a day , all Protein but i was really good about getting Water and Protein Drinks in. I continue to do so. I lost almost 50 lbs in 3 months and have been slowly coming down the last 3 months to within 5 lbs of my 168 goal. I have had stalls, but found that i need to make sure i ate enough calories and carbs (i think sometimes i went too low), also drinking water helped tremendously. Especially a glass of lemon water a few hours after dinner but before bed. The Nut suggested that sometimes the stalls are just the fat is gone but fat cells are holding onto water. The lemon water works as a diuretic . I would always lose 1/2 to 1 lb when i did/do the lemon water. I made sure to get 10k steps in every day and often tried to do spinning and weights as well. The weight loss caused me to lose a lot of core strength and i have been slowly working to get that back. Most importantly, stay positive. We are in this for the long haul. I just ignore the stalls and stay the course and try more water and more exercise , but i have had them last 3 weeks.

I’m 60 had surgery on April 3rd down 48 lbs. I feel like it’s been a slow process but I feel so much better.

I had rny just after my 51st B-day and was able to get my total knee replacement just after my 52nd!

I was 58 when I had my RNY in October 2017. Highest weight was 320 lbs. I now weigh 154. Four pounds from goal .

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Not sure if I responded to this already, but I just had it done (as a revision from Gastric Sleeve) on May 13.

I am 70.